Spec flywheel in. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Spec flywheel in.

Only have 2 pictures as me, Darren, and Adam (for the bit that he was there) were working hard or just goofing off.

Had a great time changing my clutch and suspension bushings. I never want to work on my car without air tools again lol. Makes everything so much easier. Getting the trans out of the 9-3 is pretty simple. Had no bolts missing or stripped thank god. We did however lose one washer for the subframe but double stacked some washers in the shop to be equal to the other washer. Wouldn't you know we find it sitting on the lift arm after its all cleaned up. Probably most annoying part was losing one of the front roll bar poly bushings. Dan dropped it out of his hands and it went under a motor on the shop floor. We spent 30 to 45 minutes looking for this bushing and didn't see it until looking under this motor for the 5th time because of how it got itself wedged underneath.

Last thing is my new slave cylinder has shown me how week the master cylinder is so I have to get a new one . The clutch is pretty much on the floor for disengaging and sometimes its a bit difficult to get reverse becuase of this. Yes we spent quite of bit of time pressure bleeding it and Dan figured out it was the MC because the first pump would feel great but it would bleed down.

Ran the car with the tech 2 and a fuel pressure gauge and found that the long term fuel trim issue I had out in St. Louis was non exsistent and at 10 psi boost we had 3.8-4 bar fuel pressure so thats a relief. We tossed in a known good test BPC and it shot right up to full boost. Was going to send this one I got from ebay back and get my money but have realised I can't find my old one . Oh well. Base boost for me again until I can afford one from Goldwing with a warranty.

Driving with the Spec wheel is awsome. Heel toe shift is crisp and almost instant and acceleration is great (most noticeable in 2nd gear). Basically if your in there changing a clutch/pp/slave cylinder get the Spec flywheel and put it in there. It's worth it and I can't wait to have consistent full boost to run it out in all the gears.

Nick I sent you an email about the double comment post, you can delete the bottom one. The computer back at my house sucks and it got posted twice somehow.

Oh picture of me and Collin out at dinner after finishing the clutch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Sweet I really want a spec fly wheel now. Guy at work tuned his audi turbo and i need to compete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Elder

Damn that shop is messy.

Nice work though. For some reason my main concern with doing any work on a car is losing hardware, even if they are bagged.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Damn that shop is messy.

Nice work though. For some reason my main concern with doing any work on a car is losing hardware, even if they are bagged.
Well to be honest about that shop its not a dedicated bulding. There are a few pole barns on this lot and I think RTS rents out that bulding. Don't know what was there before it or how long they have been that but its not as bad as you think.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Damn that shop is messy.

You want a guy who cleans his shop, or does actual work?

Anyway, nice work!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
You want a guy who cleans his shop, or does actual work?

Anyway, nice work!
QFT!

Also the look in your kids face is priceless!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Elder

There are tons of spare motors around this shop and if you ever happen to break a bracket like I did (the alternator) this is the only place you can find them in Indy and get it that day. Dan and Steve are awsome...especially Dan as he is a jokester.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
Elder

Oh funny story. So while Dan was hooking the fuel gauge tap line in I was waiting for him to say ok to let me know I could hook the battery back up. Well he said ok about getting the fuel line in (as in ok I know you fit in there) but I hadn't caught on to that. Well I hook up the battery and Dan just laughs and says "thanks for the shower now cut the power". Pulled that positive cable off pretty quick.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
You can almost see the difference in wieght by how much lower you are holding the stocker compared to the spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Good to see you got the work done and everything went pretty well. I ended up driving back from Angola without going near Indy, so I didn't make it. I never did see Steve when I was down there. Dan was a pretty nice guy and seemed to just enjoy life... all the time.

'04 9-3 Aero
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
You can almost see the difference in wieght by how much lower you are holding the stocker compared to the spec.
Just stinks that such a nice shiny part is hidden compeltely.....unless I remove the splash guard .

Old 11-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
a12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Only have 2 pictures as me, Darren, and Adam (for the bit that he was there) were working hard or just goofing off.

Had a great time changing my clutch and suspension bushings. I never want to work on my car without air tools again lol. Makes everything so much easier. Getting the trans out of the 9-3 is pretty simple. Had no bolts missing or stripped thank god. We did however lose one washer for the subframe but double stacked some washers in the shop to be equal to the other washer. Wouldn't you know we find it sitting on the lift arm after its all cleaned up. Probably most annoying part was losing one of the front roll bar poly bushings. Dan dropped it out of his hands and it went under a motor on the shop floor. We spent 30 to 45 minutes looking for this bushing and didn't see it until looking under this motor for the 5th time because of how it got itself wedged underneath.

Last thing is my new slave cylinder has shown me how week the master cylinder is so I have to get a new one . The clutch is pretty much on the floor for disengaging and sometimes its a bit difficult to get reverse becuase of this. Yes we spent quite of bit of time pressure bleeding it and Dan figured out it was the MC because the first pump would feel great but it would bleed down.

Ran the car with the tech 2 and a fuel pressure gauge and found that the long term fuel trim issue I had out in St. Louis was non exsistent and at 10 psi boost we had 3.8-4 bar fuel pressure so thats a relief. We tossed in a known good test BPC and it shot right up to full boost. Was going to send this one I got from ebay back and get my money but have realised I can't find my old one . Oh well. Base boost for me again until I can afford one from Goldwing with a warranty.

Driving with the Spec wheel is awsome. Heel toe shift is crisp and almost instant and acceleration is great (most noticeable in 2nd gear). Basically if your in there changing a clutch/pp/slave cylinder get the Spec flywheel and put it in there. It's worth it and I can't wait to have consistent full boost to run it out in all the gears.

Nick I sent you an email about the double comment post, you can delete the bottom one. The computer back at my house sucks and it got posted twice somehow.

Oh picture of me and Collin out at dinner after finishing the clutch.

So what clutch did you use with this? How is the clutch engagement with this flywheel?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12 View Post
So what clutch did you use with this? How is the clutch engagement with this flywheel?
Viggen clutch disc and viggen pp. Until I get my new master cylinder into the car I can't tell you a good description but so far even with the clutch engaging/disengaging on the floorboard it feels great.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to gytre1 Send a message via Yahoo to gytre1
looks like a dirty job, but congrats on the install of that goodie box nick got ya glad to hear your fuel issue is gone. hopefully ill see you again here in saint louis sometime.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Whos shop is that in Indy, that let you come in and do the work yourself?

I did a couple 70 to 110 runs the other day on I-70, in my Stg 3 93, and discovered clutch slip for the first time ever. I am at 100K miles now, and I was thinking the clutch might need replacement in the next 20 or so. Probably do the whole viggen unit swap.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

I have my spec flywheel in too and it is not that bad from a dig, you have to give it just a hair more gas and maybe slip the clutch just a hair more and then once going it feels the same as stock one, but when you give it throttle and go, it sure does rip up through the rpm band. My car feels very fast even at 15-20psi of boost.

I did have issues with my viggen pp and spec stage 3 6-puck disk slipping past about 18psi in the beggining. I guess with a new flywheel and a used clutch disk, the beading in process is much more crucial and can take up to a few hundred miles. It would slip bad past 20psi of boost in third gear. I thought I was going to have to put in a new clutch, but now that I have about 300 miles on the engine and clutch, its holding 18-21psi no problem.

Once I get another couple hundred miles on the motor I will hammer it down again with 25+ psi of boost and let it ride I think the flywheel is going to help with the speed of the car in the 1/4 mile, no doubt its going through the rpm band faster and the response is a little quicker too...

John
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

^Yup, the first thing I noticed with the spec 1 clutch was how much faster the acceleration begins after a gear shift. The old clutch was almost down to the rivets and completely toast.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to MATTM3
Any increase in vibration? I have both poly mounts and disabled balance shafts so I'm wondering how rough things will get with that flywheel.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Elder

At first there wasn't that much vibrations but now that I've gotten use to it theres a little more but not much more. I have poly in everywhere that Nick sells poly for.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
Whos shop is that in Indy, that let you come in and do the work yourself?

I did a couple 70 to 110 runs the other day on I-70, in my Stg 3 93, and discovered clutch slip for the first time ever. I am at 100K miles now, and I was thinking the clutch might need replacement in the next 20 or so. Probably do the whole viggen unit swap.
Tito I did it down at Road Tested Saab in Indianapolis but I had to pay 300 dollars for the space in the shop. If you work things out with me I'd be willing to help you do it at your place. Not a terrible job at all.

Just got to make sure you have an 18mm wrench, variety of sockets upto 18mm, engine hoist, and time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in