I want 300whp whats the plan? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I want 300whp whats the plan?

Ok so I want to start collecting parts to make this happen. It may take some time but hey goals are nice! So as many of you may already know I have plenty of tuner freinds. They mainly run asian or german cars. So my sweedish setup is a bit foreign to them. I have been recommended turbo swaps up and down by them. Most of them do not seem cost effective. (eg. t3/t4 hybrid something like a 60 trim in and out.) Would I just be better off getting a 9000 Aero turbo and swapping housings and getting a bigger wheel slapped in? That way I don't have to get a custom manifold made. Or would I come out cheaper and better off (see room to tinker) with a T3/T4 w/ a costume manifold. All I am thinking best bang for the buck here... Specific tuning packages aside. I have most of the other parts picked out mentally.

3.0 FPR
244 FP
Greentop Injectors
Ebay IC
Ebay IC kit
3" SS exhaust piping

Feel free to change my mind on any of this.

btw I have a 2002 9-3SE for those who do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Elder

Dan are you going to do stand alone tuning or what EM are you considering.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Ok so I want to start collecting parts to make this happen. It may take some time but hey goals are nice! So as many of you may already know I have plenty of tuner freinds. They mainly run asian or german cars. So my sweedish setup is a bit foreign to them. I have been recommended turbo swaps up and down by them. Most of them do not seem cost effective. (eg. t3/t4 hybrid something like a 60 trim in and out.) Would I just be better off getting a 9000 Aero turbo and swapping housings and getting a bigger wheel slapped in? That way I don't have to get a custom manifold made. Or would I come out cheaper and better off (see room to tinker) with a T3/T4 w/ a costume manifold. All I am thinking best bang for the buck here... Specific tuning packages aside. I have most of the other parts picked out mentally.

3.0 FPR
244 FP
Greentop Injectors
Ebay IC
Ebay IC kit
3" SS exhaust piping

Feel free to change my mind on any of this.

btw I have a 2002 9-3SE for those who do not know.
You do realize the the BF! is working on exactly what you are looking for as we speak.Give me a call if you have any questions.651-398-6757.Yes I am local.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
An 18t would probably get your to your goal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

an aero tdo4-15t is not going to last long at 300whp if it can even give you that. look at maptun or nordic.

can i get enough boost to put the head into the hood??
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabingforlife99 View Post
an aero tdo4-15t is not going to last long at 300whp if it can even give you that. look at maptun or nordic.
it cant make 300whp and only one company makes an off the shelf tune for an 18t otherwise you have to find someone to do you a custom.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
it cant make 300whp and only one company makes an off the shelf tune for an 18t otherwise you have to find someone to do you a custom.
I am working on that end building these cars now.I have the ability to edit the LH jetronic cars but still need to work on the trionic stuff.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF!ChuckB View Post
I am working on that end building these cars now.I have the ability to edit the LH jetronic cars but still need to work on the trionic stuff.
eww good luck with that trionic stuff! noone likes that junk

Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Elder

Chuck I had heard you where doing the jetronic stuff but I had no idea you where doing this w/ tronic as well. Thats great news! As you know us Saaber's don't have much in the Midwest to work off of. I am confident I can get the hardware lined up. But I know in the end the biggest hurdle is the ECU...

With regard to the turbo it self you would need to port the stock compressor housing and slap in 18T wheel. I wouldn't want to port the stock housing I would prefer using the 9000 Aero 6cm unit then have that ported out to further help controlling EGT's. Even with all this I would be somewhere around 315chp so that would mean just under 300whp. All the while really running the turbo at it's limits... There has to be a better solution. My issue is that I don't want to spend $1200 plus for a just a GT series turbo for the sake of a slightly earlier spool vs. a regular T series. I could net me the same numbers in the upper range which is really is more usable in a FWD car. Then I think of the limitations of the T28's and so on. To me a T3/T4 hybrid seems to have more benefits over the T28's and so on and at a great price point. Tell me if my head is going in the wrong direction here... I welcome input. I don't think we always have to do a "package off the shelf sort of deal" every time.

Last edited by liketheword; 11-17-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
i'm pretty sure jak and i'm sure nick has a tune for the 18T. jak doesn't display some stg. like GT28 and such.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Chuck I had heard you where doing the jetronic stuff but I had no idea you where doing this w/ tronic as well. Thats great news! As you know us Saaber's don't have much in the Midwest to work off of. I am confident I can get the hardware lined up. But I know in the end the biggest hurdle is the ECU...

With regard to the turbo it self you would need to port the stock compressor housing and slap in 18T wheel. I wouldn't want to port the stock housing I would prefer using the 9000 Aero 6cm unit then have that ported out to further help controlling EGT's. Even with all this I would be somewhere around 315chp so that would mean just under 300whp. All the while really running the turbo at it's limits... There has to be a better solution. My issue is that I don't want to spend $1200 plus for a just a GT series turbo for the sake of a slightly earlier spool vs. a regular T series. I could net me the same numbers in the upper range which is really is more usable in a FWD car. Then I think of the limitations of the T28's and so on. To me a T3/T4 hybrid seems to have more benefits over the T28's and so on and at a great price point. Tell me if my head is going in the wrong direction here... I welcome input. I don't think we always have to do a "package off the shelf sort of deal" every time.
Its going to take some time to read up on the trionic stuff but it looks like the ecu guys have developed a nice DIY interface and it look like the rest is doable as well(on the cheap of course).We will have to see when I get some time though because I am neck deep in manifolds at the moment

If worst comes to worst tear it out and put in jetronic.That stuff is easy as pie.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
i'm pretty sure jak and i'm sure nick has a tune for the 18T. jak doesn't display some stg. like GT28 and such.
let me clarify, an off the shelf, dyno proven, safe, powerful tune.

anything else would require some form of get tune/dyno/tweak/dyno/etc, which would get expensive imho.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Are these cars T5 or T7?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
let me clarify, an off the shelf, dyno proven, safe, powerful tune.

anything else would require some form of get tune/dyno/tweak/dyno/etc, which would get expensive imho.
Not so... The cost of a custom road tune is not far off from a the mark for a mail tune something like Nordic would cost me $1300 for just ECU. Automotion does a SQR custom tune for the same bang buck.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Are these cars T5 or T7?
Dan's car is a T7, if that is what you are asking.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Not so... The cost of a custom road tune is not far off from a the mark for a mail tune something like Nordic would cost me $1300 for just ECU. Automotion does a SQR custom tune for the same bang buck.
Now your talking standalone money.I could probably get you in at RS motors for AEM install for that kinda coin.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Are these cars T5 or T7?
NG900's 1994-1998 & 1999 OG9-3 are all T5. Minus the 1999 OG9-3 Viggen and 1999 9-5 all of which ran T7. Also all OG9-3's starting 2000 ran T7 until 2003. (2002 was the last year of hardtops of the OG9-3. 2003 was the last year of OG9-3's period consisting of only verts.)

Last edited by liketheword; 11-17-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

I would get one of these for tuning.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Now your talking standalone money.I could probably get you in at RS motors for AEM install for that kinda coin.
Quote:
I would get one of these for tuning.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116
Apparently adapting these stand alone systems to run on our cars is not an easy task. People normally go w/ a stand alone called Nira since they already have a an established tuning community with our cars. All of this doesn't mean it can't be done it's just not much headway has been made due to nay sayers always wanting the tried and true regardless of cost.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Apparently adapting these stand alone systems to run on our cars is not an easy task. People normally go w/ a stand alone called Nira since they already have a an established tuning community with our cars. All of this doesn't mean it can't be done it's just not much headway has been made due to nay sayers always wanting the tried and true regardless of cost.
Go read linky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in