3" downpipe without software - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
3" downpipe without software

Is anyone running a 3" downpipe on a T7 car without a software upgrade? Any issues? I was thinking about putting mine on the viggen before i install the subframe brace.

Thanks

Last edited by szucman; 11-16-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I'm t5 but many have done it, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
JK
Elder

AS tweek has said, many, many people have done it. As long as you have a cat on there you should be just fine!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Yep, no probs. I think Bullseye is one of quite a few with Viggens and or T7 cars to run them with no software. Works just fine and still gives a decent power increase before software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Yea i probably should, i just need to get the T7 o2 bung welded on. Jameson would you happen to know anyone good locally for the welding? Thanks guys.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucman View Post
Yea i probably should, i just need to get the T7 o2 bung welded on. Jameson would you happen to know anyone good locally for the welding? Thanks guys.
Hmmm. My best friends family owns AGL Welding supply in Clifton, so I bet they know of someone. But I have had all my exhaust work done at Midas in Denville/Rockaway next to Pizza Hut and KFC. They do good work, they straight piped my Z and have made up some other pipes and custom installed exhaust systems on 3-4 cars of mine over the past 10 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Elder

on the topic of 3in dp's wasn't there a member here who made them? jw

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
JK, Jessop.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

ohhh ok i know where your talking about, i'll try to check them out over the weekend. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
HA!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Go for it!!! Got one and am now getting software. Sounds nice, faster boost but you will lose some torque. Biggest differenc is if you combine it with a bettter IC such as MP's. The combo negates the steering clamp and brace so all that beasty torque steer comes back ; )

You'll also notice that T7 will 'dumb it down' after a couple weeks. Resetting the ecu brings back all the fun! And that's why I'm going for the software.....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatsch View Post
Go for it!!! Got one and am now getting software. Sounds nice, faster boost but you will lose some torque. Biggest differenc is if you combine it with a bettter IC such as MP's. The combo negates the steering clamp and brace so all that beasty torque steer comes back ; )

You'll also notice that T7 will 'dumb it down' after a couple weeks. Resetting the ecu brings back all the fun! And that's why I'm going for the software.....
What exactly does 'faster boost' mean? I always hear this term and am confused as to what people are referring to

Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
The turbo spins up and produces boost faster due to the faster flow of the exhaust down the downpipe.

I had a 3" on my 9-3 for 8 months with no issues.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucman View Post
Is anyone running a 3" downpipe on a T7 car without a software upgrade? Any issues? I was thinking about putting mine on the viggen before i install the subframe brace.

Thanks
Are you just doing the downpipe? If you are going all the way back with 3", you're going to hit an issue with the standard subframe brace. You'll need big-ish spacers to make it clear the larger exhaust. This doesn't effect the 6-point, which you should go for anyway
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
The turbo spins up and produces boost faster due to the faster flow of the exhaust down the downpipe.
cool. but wouldn't the turbo spin up to speed faster with a slightly more restricted downpipe?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Down pipe is on the exit side of everything.

Hot gas needs more room, so a bigger DP gets you more flow.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

I am getting the 6 point so i figured i'll put the dp on before i put on the brace so i dont have to take it off and put it back on when i eventually get the software.

I also have the MP intercooler installed which is great and the steering rack clamp which was desperately needed haha...i just need the software.

I figured i'd loose a little tourque with the dp, i noticed that on my 900..i had the dp, saab sport exhaust, viggen ic, and a mbc, it was a little weak at low rpms but much quicker at higher rpms...its a trade off but also alota fun.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboy View Post
cool. but wouldn't the turbo spin up to speed faster with a slightly more restricted downpipe?
Not a chance.

edit - for clarity:

On the discharge side you want to be flowing more air, not less air. Get a bunch of water in your mouth, and try to spit it out through a straw, then try to spit it out through a piece of garden hose the same length. Which empties your mouth the quickest?

The header and turbo exhaust housing do the job of keeping the air velocities up, after the air makes it around the exhaust turbine you want to get it out of the way as quickly as possible.

Last edited by JK; 11-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post

The header and turbo exhaust housing do the job of keeping the air velocities up, after the air makes it around the exhaust turbine you want to get it out of the way as quickly as possible.
but if the eye of your turbo is smaller than 3'', thats no good... but thats another annoyance altogether...

something tells me your car isnt gonna run as well if you had NOTHING after the turbo... just open air... that would be the quickest way of getting it out eh? ( i know im just being difficult)

i guess the stock exhaust manifold vs. headers would make the the turbo spin slower vs. faster yea?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboy View Post
but if the eye of your turbo is smaller than 3'', thats no good... but thats another annoyance altogether...

something tells me your car isnt gonna run as well if you had NOTHING after the turbo... just open air... that would be the quickest way of getting it out eh? ( i know im just being difficult)

i guess the stock exhaust manifold vs. headers would make the the turbo spin slower vs. faster yea?
Well depending on the manifold and if its a equal length turbo manifold, that would make the exhuast pulses all at diferent times while remaing a constant exhuast flow over the turbine. Versus a stock or log manifold or anything that isnt equal length will have exhuast pulses that hit and miss (or two cylinders flowing at the same time and there is a pause or blank spot) and do not allow for a faster spool time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in