changing bolt patterns - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

changing bolt patterns

what decides the bolt pattern on a car and how can it be changed? i.e. how do you change the bolt pattern on the 9-3 from 5x110 to something else 5x112, 5x114.3, etc....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 PM   #2

you can get a spacer/adapter with the new pattern pre drilled, but it's definitely not recommended by anyone, except the people who sell the spacers!

It makes the new wheel/hub assembly significantly weaker. People do it all the time, though, especially for show cars that won't see much street or track time. If you had a kickass set of dubs that HAVE to be on your car, then it's not too smart to use it as a daily driver.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Wheel retailers will also try to sell you on the "drill and fill" technique where they drill out the holes to fit the new desired bolt pattern and then fill in the spots left behind. It is not a completely new set of holes but more of a shifting of the existing holes (we are only talking a couple MM here) but it also will compromise the strength of the wheels. You are best to just stick with the stock bolt pattern. There are more 5x110 rims out there than people generally know about.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
these guys: http://www.bigwheels.net/index.jsp seem to have a whole bunch of different wheels, i know its the biggest selection of c900 wheels ive ever seen, and the ng section doesnt look too bad either.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:58 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

what about changing the wheel/hub assy all together? is that an option?

thanks for all the input
Old 10-27-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
Elder

I was thinking about wheel spacers but the least I could go is one inch and it sticks out to much.

About the wheel spacers not being safe I think is false. I know a few guys around here that did them to there trucks for off roading and they have never failed on them and itís been like over a year now. I think that these are taking a beating as much as running them at the track.

I was thinking about getting my holes drill and fill in at a local shop but never did it. xaamottomaax how does this take away from the strength of the hub? If the holes are being filled in all the way and new holes being drilled in different spots at the same depth as the stock holes whatís wrong with that. Considering you have them balanced, if they need to be.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The strength of the hub is not compromised but the strength of the wheel is. Any time you cut or heat metal, it becomes weaker.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man
I was thinking about wheel spacers but the least I could go is one inch and it sticks out to much.

About the wheel spacers not being safe I think is false. I know a few guys around here that did them to there trucks for off roading and they have never failed on them and itís been like over a year now. I think that these are taking a beating as much as running them at the track.
Spacers are are often used on trucks for a dually look, or for widening the wheel track, but truck hubs are often huge compared to a car hub and allow more mounting studs for adpaters. Also, a truck, even an off road one, isn't going to see the same lateral wheel forces as a track-going car. Rock crawling and high-speed turns are two totally different things.

That said, wheel spacers themselves are totally safe if used with longer wheels studs. The German auto sanctioning body TUV certifies them for use on German roads, including the autobahns. The problem is that some wheel spacer/adapter combos are notoriously flimsy and not made of the best materials (aerospace grade aluminum, or some similar high-strength alloy). If you go with them, look for H&Rs. The spacers are TUV certified for sure, but I don't think the adapters are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in