Raising the front license plate. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Elder

Raising the front license plate.

Well, today I waxed the car and removed the front license plate and holder and I looked and there are two holes in the bumper, so when I put it back on I lined up the bottom holes on the license plate holder with the top bumper holes and now theres not as much air blocked from the license plate holder for the IC.

I dont think its going to make a huge difference but more air is always better.

If this makes no sense ill post pics tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
screw the front license plate no one uses them and cop usally don't care get one GS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I took the front license plate mounting plate flipped it upside down screwed into the bumper w/ the 2 holes that lined up. This opened allowed the WHOLE bumper opening for the IC to get air instead of just half. Is this what you did?

Also not having a front plate is just asking for trouble. If you haven't had it yet you haven't run into the right cop. I would say keep it on.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
I took the front license plate mounting plate flipped it upside down screwed into the bumper w/ the 2 holes that lined up. This opened allowed the WHOLE bumper opening for the IC to get air instead of just half. Is this what you did?

Also not having a front plate is just asking for trouble. If you haven't had it yet you haven't run into the right cop. I would say keep it on.
just put it in the trunk and if the cop says anything say i will glady put it on for u
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
depends on the state really. I had a friend get a fix it ticket for no front license plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 11-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
depends on the state really. I had a friend get a fix it ticket for no front license plate.
Well, if you keep it in the trunk with the hardware to put it back on (or some zip ties), then you can avoid the fix-it ticket by putting back on after getting pulled over.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Ive had my front off for over 3 years now and have gotten pulled over multiple times for different reasons, and still have yet to hear anything about not having a front plate.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Well, if you keep it in the trunk with the hardware to put it back on (or some zip ties), then you can avoid the fix-it ticket by putting back on after getting pulled over.
Or have it on in the first place
Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
It's not even required here..... I haven't ever had a front plate. The only thing I might do is add a Euro front plate--narrow and long, no interference, and it looks sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
I was thinking that there might be a way to turn a U.S. plate into a Euro "style" if you hack off the top and bottom pieces (useless on a front plate because the stickers go on the back) you can thin in out.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
In some states (I know in NY it is) its against the law to modify the plates in any way, since they're still the property of the state. NY you usually have to turn them back in to the DMV when you take a car off the road, etc.

As far as driving around w/no front plate...get a ticket for it once and you won't really do it again. I'd rather keep the $.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
I didnt flip it upside down, but Ill do that. I just raised it about an inch or so.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
In some states (I know in NY it is) its against the law to modify the plates in any way, since they're still the property of the state. NY you usually have to turn them back in to the DMV when you take a car off the road, etc.

As far as driving around w/no front plate...get a ticket for it once and you won't really do it again. I'd rather keep the $.
Idk MCrowley, no front plate is the way to go for me, I got nabbed for it once, my car wasn't inspected and i was doing 70 in a 55, he let me go with only a no front plate...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #14

I did the same this as LeGiT a few weeks ago. So much better the before and I would not want it any higher.
I would be tempted to bend the bottom of the plate but I would also have to mold the plastic plate cover.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I know somebody that trimmed the bottom inch off of his plate. He is in MA, but the way.

Otherwise either remove it or move it up. I agree that it probably won't make a huge difference, but it can't hurt!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I moved mine up on both my 9-5 and my 9-3...looked a little awkward at first, but the improved cooling to the IC is worth it. I'd love to remove the front plates completely, but I'm too much of a Sally....don't want to attract any unnecessary attention.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
I know somebody that trimmed the bottom inch off of his plate. He is in MA, but the way.

Otherwise either remove it or move it up. I agree that it probably won't make a huge difference, but it can't hurt!
saw a 80's mustang with it rapped around the bottom lip of the bumper just enough for the hight of the numbers.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
saw a 80's mustang with it rapped around the bottom lip of the bumper just enough for the hight of the numbers.
I've seen some Japanese cars around Seattle that have that done. They bend the bottom back right below the letters, and sometimes bend the top back, too. I got a ticket once for having a Swedish plate on my car, and a friend got a ticket for not having a front plate at all on his BMW. I put the Swedish plate on mine just so it wouldn't block the air intake on my Viggen bumper as much, but I doubt it really helped at all. I've since put the Washington State plate back on with an Altec Autocross frame, which I think looks really slick, and keeps the plate from getting dinged up, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in