Steering Rod Bushings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Steering Rod Bushings

After seeing quite a few cars with excessive wear on the inner bushings I decided it was time to work on a replacement. The factory bushings are only available with the arms $$$.. Well a few hours in the machine shop and a little urethane later i had some decent prototypes to try.

I decided to install them in my Viggen since it has about 20K miles no wear was expected. I found a decent about of wear on the factory bushings which was a little amazing in this short time. Many of the higher mileage cars are far worse.

The actual install was pretty easy took a leisurely 30 min. Basic hand tools. I used a long 10mm bolt and a 34mm 1/2" drive socket to pull the old bushings from the arms. This is probably not necessary for the higher mileage cars. Installation was very easy once the old ones were out. I did it with the car on the ground making it a little harder than necessary since it was difficult to turn the tires. It took a helper to get the arms aligned and the bolts into the steering gear. Used a little thread locker there too just as a precaution.
Initial feelings are improved on center feel and less of the mushy steering response. I will see after the road trip to StLouis tomorrow. We will see how these hold up and go to production after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I was wondering about something like that! I'm replacing the steering rods/ends on Wednesday. Guess I will wait for the bushings to come out. I'd love to be a test dummy though.

'04 9-3 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Elder

Hey nice one NickT!

I've had mine on for about a year now. I stole the idea from Kevin Yankton's old project.

I used powerflex bushings from a Ford 150 application. I had to cut them down a little bit, with an exacto. With a drill press (no bit) I was able to pop them into the arms (and the old ones out). I would echo that the steering response was much improved! My old ones were quite worn (~150k).

These are really a must have... for the price (even TBD) I'm sure they will be a very cost effective upgrade.

Keep it up NickT

Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
After seeing quite a few cars with excessive wear on the inner bushings I decided it was time to work on a replacement. The factory bushings are only available with the arms $$$.. Well a few hours in the machine shop and a little urethane later i had some decent prototypes to try.

I decided to install them in my Viggen since it has about 20K miles no wear was expected. I found a decent about of wear on the factory bushings which was a little amazing in this short time. Many of the higher mileage cars are far worse.

The actual install was pretty easy took a leisurely 30 min. Basic hand tools. I used a long 10mm bolt and a 34mm 1/2" drive socket to pull the old bushings from the arms. This is probably not necessary for the higher mileage cars. Installation was very easy once the old ones were out. I did it with the car on the ground making it a little harder than necessary since it was difficult to turn the tires. It took a helper to get the arms aligned and the bolts into the steering gear. Used a little thread locker there too just as a precaution.
Initial feelings are improved on center feel and less of the mushy steering response. I will see after the road trip to StLouis tomorrow. We will see how these hold up and go to production after that.

estimated release date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Hey nice one NickT!

I've had mine on for about a year now. I stole the idea from Kevin Yankton's old project.

I used powerflex bushings from a Ford 150 application. I had to cut them down a little bit, with an exacto. With a drill press (no bit) I was able to pop them into the arms (and the old ones out). I would echo that the steering response was much improved! My old ones were quite worn (~150k).

These are really a must have... for the price (even TBD) I'm sure they will be a very cost effective upgrade.

Keep it up NickT
could you pm with the name of the bushing you used? thanks

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
My Sunbird had the exact same problem. Moog makes a poly inner bushing kit for about $10, it works fantastic. I'd suspect that the kit for the US-model J cars may just be a direct fit for NG-900's.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
Elder

this bit --

Old 11-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Wow. Wish they had been done already .

Old 11-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Wow. Wish they had been done already .
x2
Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
Elder

Yep.

110% DO WANT.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Elder

someone should buy an a kit for an 81-94 sunbird or cavalier and see if they are the same, the things are super cheap...

Tie Rod Bushing, High Quality Original Equipment Replacement
Fits: FRONT Steering, Inner, Kit, Problem Solver, Including 2 piece design bushing and lock plate.
Your Price $17.44
http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/p...ing~parts.html
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
someone should buy an a kit for an 81-94 sunbird or cavalier and see if they are the same, the things are super cheap...

Tie Rod Bushing, High Quality Original Equipment Replacement
Fits: FRONT Steering, Inner, Kit, Problem Solver, Including 2 piece design bushing and lock plate.
Your Price $17.44
http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/pontiac~tie_rod_bushing~parts.html
Damn, at that price someone should check it out...they do look remarkably similar, even if it wasn't a drop in application, you might be able to get it to work w/o too much duress.

If I end up pulling my engine out this winter for some work, I might look into these.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
Elder

I have an extra set of steering rack arms handy if anyone local to me wants to check them out, or buy them to experiment with.

NickT, how long if you had to guess? A week? A month? 3 months?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
DeLorean that is some GREAT info! Makes complete sense that they would work! I am wondering if J-body uprated tie-rod ends would also fit...

I was talking w/ JK last night about this. I mentioned how Eric had aluminum bushings for his control arms and I thought why doesn't some body just make aluminum steering rack bushings? I doubt it would create much vibration though the wheel but help drastically in terms of response/feel.

Last edited by liketheword; 11-13-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
I’ve been happy with my aluminum control arm bushings. As far as I know no one else has them though, so unfortunately there aren’t any more opinions.

Aluminum steering bushings might work really well. There is still a hockey puck sized rubber disc attached to the center of the steering column. So even with aluminum bushings there would be some dampening.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
You need more freedom of movement there. The ideal would be spherical bearings with a teflon liner the problem is with the sizing of the bore. There is nothing close requiring a more complex design and mounting. This would add quite a bit to the cost.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #17
TSLMember

napa rack/rod bushes

these should work.
My price was ~$13.30
napa NCP2749337.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Nick, How is this coming, I looked around the site but had no luck.

Actually nevermind, replace couldn't find with ordered a set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
they are on his site for like 20 bucks under suspension

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Linky: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=623
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in