2.3L Engine Swap - The Good - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
2.3L Engine Swap - The Good

Got my stock 2.0l engine pulled this weekend, damn it was a lot of work. But almost everything went well. The subframe dropped well, the tranny came out nicely. Just a stubborn oil line held me up. Iím taking the time to clean and paint all the components before I rebuild the 2.3l.

The oil dipstick tube connection is different on the 2.3l from the 2.0l. The 2.0l engine has a short metal 45 degree pipe that inserts into the block and connects to the plastic filler tube. The 2.3l uses a short barb and is very difficult to remove from the engine block. But there is a way to combine the two so that the original 2.0l dipstick and tube can be used. The bottom ~2Ē of the tube needs to be cut off. Then a rubber tube needs to be used to connect it to the barb. I havenít gotten the rubber tube yet, but both parts are lining up perfectly.

Also installed the balance chain tensioner oil plug from GS, easier upgrade ever, once the engine is removed.

1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
looking good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #3
Elder

Looking good Eric! Its been a long time but your original site got me into modifying my first SAAB.

You took the tranny out the bottom and the motor out the top?

Why did you decide to remove the balance chains? Looking for faster rev?

What kind of prep did you do to prepare the block for paint?

When I did my motor swap (204 to 204) I used an electric drill with a wire brush, then I used duplicolor Silver High temp paint. Over the last 3 years it has really flaked off. I want to paint the B234 I have but I want to do a better job.

Good luck with the rest of the swap Eric, I've got one coming up too!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
ERP

Yea, I dropped the engine and tranny together and pulled the tranny out the bottom. I then hoisted the engine out of the top.

I’ve been interested in removing the balance shafts for a while. Their only purpose is to reduce vibration. I’m willing to trade that for a faster revving engine. And adding the aluminum flywheel should give me some nice results.

I had the block and oil pan dipped to remove all oil and dirt. I’m using a degreaser and wire brush to clean all the components before I paint them. I’m also painting parts their original color, so if they do flake it will be less noticeable. The block is black, the aluminum water pump has been painted an aluminum color etc. I’m also putting on a clear coat on top to help it last longer. I’m using Duplicolor High Temp paint as well. I am expecting the paint to stick well. I’ve had my valve cover painted for a few years now and it has been holding up well.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
JZW
Elder

Looking good Eric, how do you have the dipstick tube secured there? I put the 9k dipstick on my 2.3 motor and heated it up with a heat-gun and pressed it on the nipple. I had trouble with mine leaking oil at the union of the plastic dip-stick tube and the metal nipple. I had to end up putting a hose clamp around the plastic dip stick tube to keep it from dripping oil.

Once I had the engine bay clean and the whole engine block and head clean, I wanted my engine and bay to remain oil free... Its very easy to spot coolant and oil leaks when everything is clean!

Make sure you keep a good eye on the fluids after you get it back up and running. I should have mine going any day now. New je forged pistons in the block, new dp made with v-band clamp and new turbo inlet 2.75" thick rubber elbow that does clear the ac and will not colapse under boost like my old silicone 3" elbow. I just have to install new subaru legacy cooling fan, tighten the sub-frame bolts and install my new shift linkage and fill with fluids and I am ready to go.... I should have it running Wed night.

Good Luck,

John

Last edited by Blaque; 11-06-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
a12

Looks good! What turbo and software are you planning on running?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
nice project!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
ERP

JZW – The 900 metal dipstick tube is bolted to the block in the stock location. I will connect it to the 9000 barb with a rubber tube, I just haven’t bought the tube yet.

A12 – I will be using my TD04 6cm turbo for a few months with Jak’s software. Sometime during winter, after I am comfortable with the new engine I will upgrade to a GT30 and run a similar setup to JZW.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
Eric, i need to come down and see this monster, and you can see my hack job of a turbo install

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
JZW Ė The 900 metal dipstick tube is bolted to the block in the stock location. I will connect it to the 9000 barb with a rubber tube, I just havenít bought the tube yet.

A12 Ė I will be using my TD04 6cm turbo for a few months with Jakís software. Sometime during winter, after I am comfortable with the new engine I will upgrade to a GT30 and run a similar setup to JZW.
Hmmm what would you want for that 6cm turbo?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Awesome stuff! I will be keeping a close eye on this tread!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
Eric, i need to come down and see this monster, and you can see my hack job of a turbo install
I'll be working on it all weekend if you want to drop by. I've also got a keg of Blue Moon if you get thirsty.

NahumCC - Don't know what I would sell it for yet, but I would let it go cheap. It's still in good shape too.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
Elder

i may swing by

Quote:
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Looking good Eric! Its been a long time but your original site got me into modifying my first SAAB.
Eric, your site was what got me working on my SAAB too. Hopefully we'll see some updates soon?! I've got my hands full with a 2.3 conversion as well. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
ERP

Fired up the 2.3 Sunday night, it's such a relief to hear it run smoothly. Took most of Saturday to clean and reassemble the 2.3. Dropped it in Sunday and put everything back together. It's going to take at least a week for my hands to look normal again, they're pretty beat up and black. The new flywheel looks great, I felt bad knowing I would never see it again.

Turned out well, looks good painted.

Almost there

Done!

Last edited by ERP; 11-11-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Screw how the wheel looks, I know how it looks (stares at shiny new flywheel in my closet), details on how it feels driving with it. I know what to expect but mine will be going in this saturday. BTW, I felt special when Nick told me I got the last one in stock.

Last edited by NahumCC; 11-11-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Elder

oh man... awesome....

Quote:
Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Elder

sweet job... looks nice all clean

Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Screw how the wheel looks, I know how it looks (stares at shiny new flywheel in my closet), details on how it feels driving with it. I know what to expect but mine will be going in this saturday. BTW, I felt special when Nick told me I got the last one in stock.
No, wait, Nick told me I got the last one Its coming today and I will have it in the car by this weekend... I can't wait to see what a 400whp turbo with a 7lb. flywheel is going to rev like

12's here I come....

John
Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
John got the one I was saving for my car. Should have another batch in a couple weeks.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in