Front ARB Theory Needed. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Front ARB Theory Needed.

I have the stock 2K2 SE FARB 24mm...IIRC? As well as a an GS 22mm RARB. Also if IIRC for the Viggen they stepped the stock FARB down to 17mm...? I have arguments for and against this setup. However, I am not liking the current handling setup I have with regard to the front end feel in a turn. It just doesn't seem to transfer enough weight to maximize the contact patch. So please chime in with your opinions on this. I would apprecaite the incite for those who have been though this or have similar setups.

Current Suppension:
Stock Springs and Dampers (Lost the tip of the spring on the driver side. A 3in section in the lower perch.)
Stock FARB
GS 22mm RARB
GS 6-point subframe brace
GS SRB&C Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Elder

Koni Kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Nicks site has explained this in detail. The size of the ARB needs to be considered against the dampener itself. If you have stiff dampener's then you don't need a very thick anti roll bar and this will allow the weight transfer to improve the contact patch. However if you have stiff dampener's and a sway bar that is too thick then your car won't roll at all and aid in providing a better contact patch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Elder

Sounds like there are 2 ways to solve this issue. One cheap and one expensive. 1. Pop-in a stock Viggen FARB. 2. Do the Koni kit.

Anyone else have a take on this?

Last edited by liketheword; 10-30-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Elder

No, that's just the typical party line whenever anyone has a suspension question.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
No, that's just the typical party line whenever anyone has a suspension question.
What is? The Koni kit? See to me this car is a daily driver that I like to have a little fun with. It gets driven in the winter here in MN as well. I do have concerns about ground clearance... I know I am not the only one JK has just the Koni dampers on his car.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
What is? The Koni kit? See to me this car is a daily driver that I like to have a little fun with. It gets driven in the winter here in MN as well. I do have concerns about ground clearance... I know I am not the only one JK has just the Koni dampers on his car.
Yeah, sorry, I swear the posts said something else initially

The Koni kit will definitely help your car handle better, but it will also drop you ~35mm ( I think). Maybe look into slightly shorter, stiffer springs (like the Viggen springs) to pair with stiffer, adjustable dampers (like the Konis).

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Elder

Koni dampers and Viggen springs sound like a pretty good pair for performance while retaining winter time in MN.

I was planning on driving the Viggen lowered through winter, but got that classic instead.

It had no problems being as low as it was originally with the 2 winters I did put it through. (I drove in every major snow storm last year, no issues).

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Elder

I thought the 2002SE had the same suspension as the Viggen..? Maybe I am wrong...? Anyone know for sure? And if they are different whats the drop from my current suspension w/ Viggen springs? Anyone have a good source for Viggen springs? So the issue is truly a spring and damper related? Wouldn't just a Viggen FARB resolve the issue for much cheaper and less hassle? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Elder

I believe the Viggen was 10mm lower (and a little stiffer) than the regular 9-3, not sure if the 2002's were different.

How easy is the FARB to swap?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Front and rear ARBs are the same for the 02 se as the viggen. The springs are slightly different. The viggen has lower springs, thats why it's not recomended to put a trailer hitch on them.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
FARB procedure is coming right up hold on.

Last edited by NahumCC; 10-30-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: loaded FARB procedure.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
The viggen has the 22m front bar, "to help with corner exiting traction".

I would suggest popping on the 25.5 rear bar. And not changing anything else untill you fully test the set up. It is trully the least expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
It's not real easy....you have to remove/slacken the subframe to get to the bushings.

If you increase the spring rate and damper rate, decrease your roll bar size.

If you have a Koni Kit, using a Viggen FARB with a 22mm RARB should give a good contact patch at the front and decrease understeer.

I have a 22mm bar up front with a 25mm bar in the rear with Koni springs/dampers...I plan on dropping the FARB to a 19 sometime to see how that affects change....

What size and A/R tire are you running?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Elder

What's the bar on the top of the engine?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
What's the bar on the top of the engine?
Strut brace?

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Strut brace?
Must be, I was thinking that was the roll bar for some reason.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
Elder

Roll bar is UNDER the engine.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
The viggen has the 22m front bar, "to help with corner exiting traction".

I would suggest popping on the 25.5 rear bar. And not changing anything else untill you fully test the set up. It is trully the least expensive.
I thought the Viggen had a smaller FARB than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
It's not real easy....you have to remove/slacken the subframe to get to the bushings.

If you increase the spring rate and damper rate, decrease your roll bar size.

If you have a Koni Kit, using a Viggen FARB with a 22mm RARB should give a good contact patch at the front and decrease understeer.

I have a 22mm bar up front with a 25mm bar in the rear with Koni springs/dampers...I plan on dropping the FARB to a 19 sometime to see how that affects change....

What size and A/R tire are you running?
19mm sounds about right for the Viggen FARB. Am I missing something here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in