Clearing the glass lens - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Clearing the glass lens

I did this a while ago but never got around to posting it. I've been wanting to do HID lights in the 900 for some time. My holdback is the fluted glass lens. I'm not interested in going trough the trouble if the flutes are going to screw it up.

Some people have suggested faricating new lenses, other clearing the flutes. I have part of a smashed 9-5 headlight here (from 1999) and I thought I'd give it a try:

I did that with a die grinder and some sort of polishing wheel form harbor freight. I think that was the medium of the three. I used a cutoff wheel at first on its side to quickly remove the flutes, then the polisher wheel to start to clean it up.

I'd say it was a sucessfull try! I think I got it too hot (cracked). The crack I think was a combination of the heat, and the fact that the lense was a piece already (stress points). I used some water, and found the best was to do this partially submerged.

So as soon as I get a set or one more lens, I will try this out for real. I've found some good grinding stones that I would like to buy and give this a go.

If anyone knows of a cheap place to get some decent lenses let me know.

Tboy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to mlemorie Send a message via MSN to mlemorie
Keep me updated on this please. I want to do the exact same thing to my 900. What projectors are you planning on retrofitting? Also, have you checked out HIDplanet.com? Thats where I go for learning on all that stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #3

Yea I'm looking at this with interest as I want to do the exact same thing! I was thinking of taking it to a glass shop but if it can be DIYed then I'm for that

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM   #4

IM planning on some E90 projectors that are bixenon. I bought them here from a memebr for not too much money. I figured they would be a good starting place at least.

I've been to HIDPlanet a lot. I haven't found too many posts on the lense clearing (at least glass lenses).

Has anybody ever tried a glass shop? My guess is this will be really expensive, but I am totally sure its possible.

I am looking at grinding stuff that does granite as well, they are both hard! Im looking at diamond grinding wheels (not real diamond).

Tboy
Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Elder

Ah Tboy! that was my suggestion based on the smoothing of the brake lights that you did a while ago. I hope this works out for you, i imagine it'll work out well as long as you can maneuver the grinder/dremel around the curves of the lens.

Good luck, keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Ah Tboy! that was my suggestion based on the smoothing of the brake lights that you did a while ago. I hope this works out for you, i imagine it'll work out well as long as you can maneuver the grinder/dremel around the curves of the lens.

Good luck, keep us updated.
Yeah I remember that, just didn't chime in again!

What I had thought was to not clear the whole thing, but just enough for the light to shine through. I would like to order a cup cheel grinder, and then set up some kind of oscillating rig that would pass it back and forth and grind out an oval. Perhaps then I could do a bunch if others wanted it done as well.

I'm using the air grinder since this is mostly done under the water and water+electricity is more excitement than I am interested in.

Tboy
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I am really interested in this. I want to do this to my c900. Keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^

Last edited by drewz airflow se; 10-30-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
I'm using the air grinder since this is mostly done under the water and water+electricity is more excitement than I am interested in.

Tboy
Are you doing the grinding under water and the polishing above? I imagine that it'd be difficult to do the polishing under water due to the difficulty in viewing your artwork.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Are you doing the grinding under water and the polishing above? I imagine that it'd be difficult to do the polishing under water due to the difficulty in viewing your artwork.

So far, that is no polishing. I bought this three stage grinding kit from harbor freight. There is rough medium and fine. That was done with medium.

The wheel is not a stone, but some sort of hard hard foam. I almost want to say ceramic but Im pretty sure its not. It does work really well on aluminum though and I was easily polishing up my valve cover.

I JUST bought some little sanding discs to try this again. I bought 100 grit silicon carbide that are 2" round. They also have .75" round, and the grit goes down to 36 grit. I also bought in 1" size 320 grit (same silicon carbide).

We shall see how this works out. I am hoping the 320 will get it darn close to done. The place I bought from also has lapping compound that I might try out later.

Tboy
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to mlemorie Send a message via MSN to mlemorie
Yeah, I am currently looking at a set of RS6 bixenons. The problem that I am running into though is that these headlights are HUGE. In my opinion, one projector would look kind of strange, but thats just me lol.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Elder

i don't believe they changed the lights from the a6 to the rs6

Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
Very interested as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Elder

On the way!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
SAABeginner

what happened to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in