Boost issues. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Boost issues.

Seems since getting the viggen core on other day all I've done is re-assemble the cold side hose constantly. Bought some T-clamps today for where I have the extension done and am slowly getting pushed to picking up 2 more t-clamps for the cold side of the intercooler and the delivery pipe. I believe that is where an issue I recorded on my phone is occuring in that I'm seeing constantly waving boost around part throttle.

Another problem has been that when I floor it in one gear it'll have full 18-20psi and then I'll shift and have 15, shift again and be down to 10. This never happend on the dual pass so this further adds to my losing boost on the intercooler plumbing.

However one fun video for the night. 27psi SPIKE. God I love T5 in cold weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

BPC valve needs cleaning and or BOV is leaking. Hell, I would even check the waste gate for spring resistance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nut View Post
BPC valve needs cleaning and or BOV is leaking. Hell, I would even check the waste gate for spring resistance.
No way my forge valve is leaking. I installed the next spring up when I put in this ECU so at 10 psi where thats happening it will deffinitely be shut.

I'll clean the BPC and see what happens. I also know where I can pick up a nice shiny forge actuator second hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
The spike sure makes it sound like you've got a bpc issue.

Last time I had one go bad it did similar stuff to what you're describing.

I wouldn't waste your $ on a Forge actuator just yet.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Elder

Thanks Mcrowley. I have the hook up for 100 if I want it, i just have to call the guy but I'm not gonna get it for now. Picked up 2 more constant torque clamps and will make sure that there is no leak and clean the bpc and see how it goes.

I had to watch the guy with the viggen in town today go the other direction and I so wanted to turn around and play.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
ya something is definitley wrong cause i make more boost with my T25 and it holds to 5500.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Elder

What Forge valve do you have? How many miles on it?

If its been around for awhile, take it apart, check the o-rings and re-grease.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Elder

Had the valve for a year. Had it apart back in September when I got the ECU from JAK and all looked good. I have the dual piston BOV that Nick carries.

Also, what is the proper method for cleaning a BPC valve? I know to use something like wd-40 or PB blaster but would brake parts cleaner be ok (all I have right now). I know you just squirt it in there but is there anything else to it. If this doesn't clear up the issue I'm gonna rig the car to run base boost and disconnect the BPC until I order a new one to protect the MOSFETS in the ECU.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Elder

Get some electric parts cleaner from an auto parts store or radio shack, etc. I got some stuff that was made specifically for cleaning solenoids (what the bpc is) that dries w/o leaving any kind of residue.

You can also try something as simple as compressed air and that may do the trick.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Elder

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Elder

Cleaned out the BPC and got my other 2 constant torque clamps on. Still had the same problem and was beggining to see clutch slip happen.....:sigh:. I knew it was coming sooner or later. 140k, original clutch, twice the amount of boost.

My car is now rigged to run in base boost and even though its baseboost is 7 psi +/-.5 psi I was able to watch it run up to 10 psi at 4000 rpm.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Cleaned out the BPC and got my other 2 constant torque clamps on. Still had the same problem and was beggining to see clutch slip happen.....:sigh:. I knew it was coming sooner or later. 140k, original clutch, twice the amount of boost.

My car is now rigged to run in base boost and even though its baseboost is 7 psi +/-.5 psi I was able to watch it run up to 10 psi at 4000 rpm.
Spec time!

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
Spec time!
Yeah.........don't know how I'm gonna swing it. Would rather not have to extend my loan on the car. I'll eventually break the news to mom and dad and see what I can get.

Oh well new BPC, slave cylinder, viggen pressure plate, spec disc, spec billet flywheel. I'd say thats a pretty healthy xmas wish list.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Yeah.........don't know how I'm gonna swing it. Would rather not have to extend my loan on the car. I'll eventually break the news to mom and dad and see what I can get.

Oh well new BPC, slave cylinder, viggen pressure plate, spec disc, spec billet flywheel. I'd say thats a pretty healthy xmas wish list.
Damn that flywheel gives me saab wood.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
JK
Elder

Spoiled?

I wish someone else would pay for my car toys.

SRSLY though, getting clutch slip for the 1st time is kind of a bittersweet feeling. I was a little pumped because I knew I was making quite a bit of power to get a nearly brand new clutch to slip without a tuned ECU.

Anyway, save you pennies...er, tell your parents to.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Spoiled?

I wish someone else would pay for my car toys.

SRSLY though, getting clutch slip for the 1st time is kind of a bittersweet feeling. I was a little pumped because I knew I was making quite a bit of power to get a nearly brand new clutch to slip without a tuned ECU.

Anyway, save you pennies...er, tell your parents to.
Actually JK my parents really don't help out with my car. Every now and then they might help me with a big repair but that usually means I'm doing some major work around the house when I'm home and other tasks. It's a fair trade but my parents also know that I do quite a bit of work on my own car and there cars as well when I'm home and something is wrong so it really does even itself out.

In the meantime I'll start saving and will probably make a trip of it to Nick's shop again to make sure it gets done right whether I'm helping out or not. For something this big I'm not gonna risk leaving my car stranded with no mechanic competent in my opinion around here with my car.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
Elder

Clutch slip happens.

Don't act so surprised

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Clutch slip happens.

Don't act so surprised
I wasn't so much suprised as, "well looks like the intercooler and suspension just got pushed back."

Old 10-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
Elder

Yeah, it happens.

Don't put off replacing it at all if you can.

First sign of slip I changed mine.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Yeah, it happens.

Don't put off replacing it at all if you can.

First sign of slip I changed mine.
Wish that was possible but its not. I'm gonna talk to my bank tomorrow before I talk to my parents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in