New Strut Tower Brace - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #1
TSLMember

New Strut Tower Brace

Just had this built and installed. Please tell me what you think. We've been to the drawing board three times now and think we are there. The design is much stronger than the OEM and uses much thicker gauge steel. Unlike my previous attempts, it doesn't go over the delivery pipe, so it won't affect an upgraded pipe. It also does not interfere with the ABS resorvoir or the fuse box. It is a direct bolt in replacement for the stock (i.e., remove stock, insert this brace and re-use original nuts and bolts). When coupled with a six point subframe brace, it really helps out my 2002 9-3 SE Convertible! I painted it orange so that it would photograph well and because my alma mater (Auburn) colors are orange and blue. Black would probably suit most people better. We are building one for Nick this week.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
Elder

Wo Looks like a squid in there . If nick is going to carry them, can we get them powder coated in yellow?

The one thing that concerns me is that it might limit access to the rear of the engine by hand to do maintenance, usually I like to check around the back area for problems etc...Now it looks like I might have to remove the strut bar every time, but if it's stronger than stock, me like Have you tried fitting this on an N/A car? Especially those with Taliaferro's 2.3L N/A Sport Intake pipe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
TSLMember

So far it's only been fitted on my 2002 9-3 SE CV. Nick will try it on others and we will revise the design as necessary. We tried to optimize access, but the only way we could provide as much access as the OEM brace would be to make a stronger version of the OEM which didn't interest me. It is a 10 minute or less job to remove and reinstall so I don't see this as a major limitation. It is much better than the OEM. I have practically eliminated body roll on my car.

Nick intends to powder coat them black (ala Henry Ford), but for extra $$ he may do a custom powdercoat.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:10 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
have you noticed any improvements? Other than what its obiviously suppose to do...just wondered if your also selling that squid.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

very nice ragtop.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-05-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

squid bar rules.

DO IT NOW!

combined with the stage 2 rear sway the car is real nice.

pics to come soon.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

sweet! .. btw is the official name gonna be squid bar, cuz thats pimp haha
Old 12-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

I love it. I put it in before I put in the rear sway and drove it, definitely helps. can't wait till spring so i can get the studded snows off and really test it out...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Nick made me aware that this only works on 99 and newer cars. Any chance it will be available for us 94-98 900s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

Tweek, i think Saabsavior has a brace that would fit your car? but i am not sure if it rubs on the delivery pipe or plastic engine cover? most of the pics I see the engine cover is removed...

their brace is not a replacement but an addition to the stock brace.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #11
TSLMember

Confused. ...Why wont Nick's strut bar work on 94-98 900's? Looking at the pictures,The only thing I could see different is that there is not a mount plate to attach the map sensor to the bar on the passenger side.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Its the actual spacing of the bolts, like why any old 5 lug rims wont fit on saabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 01-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i like my brace better..... why u ask... because i added to it myself
Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Man Ricot you show off!!!!!!

You seem to have all the hookups and all the spare time to do this stuff!!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

yeah hes got the ultimate hookup, his pops, who does all his metal work
Old 01-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

lol i freakin wish my pop did it shit..... i do all the work.. then my dad takes it to his work and gets it welded... then he just throws some paint on it.... dude if my dad had half as much interest in cars as i do ... i would have like 8 different cars right now.....

truthfully i do most the fabrication and designs... then i see what i can do myself and what limits me.... then i just go from there... if anything needs to be welded i usually put some tacks on where ever needed then my pops will take it to work or ill take it to a muffler shop... thats bout it....
Old 01-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I was a sheet metal mechanic and machinist for about 5 years but I am not lucky enough to have any of my equipment left to do fabrication any more!!!!!

Old 01-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #18
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos
Its the actual spacing of the bolts, like why any old 5 lug rims wont fit on saabs.
AH SOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in