dyno day at my buddies shop - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
jak
TSLMember

dyno day at my buddies shop

we had a drag day at appalachian performance today
we had a great turn out
there were several cars there that ran the 1/8th & the 1/4 regularly & on the mustang dyno were within a couple of tenths of their actual track times they were amazed at the accuracy & said they would tell all their buddies
we are going to be doing allot of this
there was a beat up 1978 celica with a 7M turbocharged that did 10.9
I did a good burnout on the dyno & did a 12.38 1/4
my reaction time on my best run was .68 I believe
my 60 foot 1.61
my 8th 8.0
my 1/4 12.4
my trap speed was 111 MPH
the weight entered for my car used for rolling resistance was 3500lbs

I was on my street tires which hooked up well
there were V8 cars there that had way less power then my car that were spinning the tires pretty bad
my car in 3rd gear made 365WHP on the same dyno I made 425 on but broke 2 pistons doing so
I dident break anything today but the hearts of those mustang & camero owners pulling 14 second 1/4s

my street tires Id say hooked on the dyno like my drag tires would on a treated track
it was allot of fun
I need to get my ass to a real track though for sure
soon
I wont argue the accuracy as I dont really know but folks who had expeirence said it was pretty accurate.....
Ill be starting on the drag car soon too
have a great weekend
JAK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Hmm, that sounds like fun!

Into the 12's.

Nice.

I have to ask a dumb question, but do you think that is any easier on your transmission than a real drag run?

I would think that the drums spin the same for every car...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
^ The rolling resistance is changed from car to car based on weight.

The dyno doesn't really (and can't really) take into effect the aerodynamics of the car and wind resistance. But I'm sure that by adjusting the rolling resistance of the wheels, you can get pretty darn close to emulating the 1/4 mile.

Remember the post a while back about the virtual reality drag strip where you "street raced" your friends, in your car, on a Dyno, with a large screen in front of you emulating the street?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Elder

when did the celicas go from RWD to FWD... werent they suppose to be an AWD sports car in the early 90s but it never happend?
seem like a good looking car, stuff jaks b204 in one of those for a really wild ride.. hell a stock b234 would be sick in a tiny Rwd car.. i see a sonnet project right there.

This the 98 or the drag car? thought the 98 was already detuned and the parts were already on the dragcar?
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
jak
TSLMember

hey there guys
this was my black 98
I think the dyno is pretty friggin hard on the car
to clean the tires off I did a couple of 5KRPM clutch drops & folks in the shop stepped back they were mostly mustang & camero guys who were blown friggin away they were complimenting my car to john (the owner of the shop)
the computer has programs set for a NG900 so when you enter 98 saab 900 & 3500lbs it is supposed to take into acccount the wind resistance & everything
like I said I wouldent argue the accuracy, only share what I was told by other folks at the shop
the winner was a 10 second mazda RX7 with a small block chevy running 33X17 slicks
all 3 of his runs were no more then 1/10 if a second apart
it was bracket racing so you did 1 pull for dial in & ran 2 more & at the end they did all the math & came up with the most consistant car as the winner

I really really love my car on nitrous
it runs well on 35 lbs of boost but 26 lbs with the 75 shot is just incredable

the launch that worked best for me was using the nitrous in 1st gear & almost bogging the engine by dumping the clutch at like 4000RPM & then hitting the nitrous at about 3KRPM that was how I got my best 60 foot time

I run the sumitomo HTRZ2 which hooked well at a 220 treadwear there were cars with 320 tires getting allot more spinn with less power
these tires hook well on the street too

I woke up with a pretty bad headache this morning though I think from all the exhaust in the shop all day yesterday......

you guys have a great sunday
I have to go paint my house now
take care
JAK
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Good runs Jak. Glad we were able to talk on the phone yesterday. Feel free to look at the dyno runs in the other thread to see how your tune is running in my car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
when did the celicas go from RWD to FWD... werent they suppose to be an AWD sports car in the early 90s but it never happend?
seem like a good looking car, stuff jaks b204 in one of those for a really wild ride.. hell a stock b234 would be sick in a tiny Rwd car.. i see a sonnet project right there.

This the 98 or the drag car? thought the 98 was already detuned and the parts were already on the dragcar?
JP
The Celica went to FWD about 87 or so. You could get the Celica in AWD with a turbo known as the All-trac(gt-4 in Japan) from 87-ish to about 91-ish(approx). They are very cool cars and I want one someday.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
The Celica went to FWD about 87 or so. You could get the Celica in AWD with a turbo known as the All-trac(gt-4 in Japan) from 87-ish to about 91-ish(approx). They are very cool cars and I want one someday.
all trac went to 93 didn't it? i'm pretty sure they didn't stop making the alltrac in the middle of a generation
Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
all trac went to 93 didn't it? i'm pretty sure they didn't stop making the alltrac in the middle of a generation
I know the body style went to 93, but the All-trac was expensive and sold in limited numbers. So I forget if it was pruned early or not. Thats why I gave 91 as an estimate.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I know the body style went to 93, but the All-trac was expensive and sold in limited numbers. So I forget if it was pruned early or not. Thats why I gave 91 as an estimate.
my friend in concord has one all-trac. don't where he got it though.

those are some good #'s jak. seeing that makes me want to spend to much money.

what kinda tires are you running for street?

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
jak
TSLMember

hey there
IM running the sumitomo HTRZ2 220 treadwear edit: 225 45 17
they hook up noticably better then my last set which were sumitomo HTRZ 160 treadwear
these are cheap, verry sticky tires for street tires
have a great week
JAK
PS one of my customers had an all track yota it was a camry though
the AWD in that thing was friggin hefty the rear drive was super beefy

Last edited by jak; 10-15-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in