Stage 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spanky
Stage 4

i put my stage 4 chip in and i am only getting a boost spike of 15 psi then is settles around 10-11. i dont know what i should look for or should try to get this to put out the right psi.

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
First thing that you should check when you've got boost issues with a T5 car is the BPC.

Second, check the other usual stuff: wastagate actuator, spark plugs, good fuel, etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Elder

Is it safe to run a mbc with the software?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Its not ideal.

When I was only seeing around 17psi from my JSP stage 4 tune all it took was cleaning the BPC a few times with WD40, that got me seeing 25-27psi peak, settling back down to around 23-25psi.

Give it a try - spray WD40 in the ports of the BPC, let it soak in a bit, then drain it. Repeat that a few times and it should be nice and clean. Then shoot a low pressure blast of air at the holes (I wouldn't use more than 10-20psi from my air compressor for fear of breaking the brass disk in the BPC valve).
Old 10-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Is it pinging at all during wot?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
kinda pointless
Old 10-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #7

no i didnt have the mbc on the car when i put in the chip, the car has had super in it since i have been driving it, and when i put chip in i put in a new set of NGKs. but i will try the bpc

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Elder

Well, remember your plugs won't last as long with a tuned ecu in the car.

Pull them every so often and check the gap. I usually have to replace mine every oil change.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Elder

i blew the gap to over 1mm on some es-11's on a stock car...i think that might be bad...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #10

i cleaned out the bpc yesterday, and now i get a spike of around 19 then it settles at 15-16. but should i be getting more with stage 4?

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
i cleaned out the bpc yesterday, and now i get a spike of around 19 then it settles at 15-16. but should i be getting more with stage 4?
YUP!!! check vac. lines, wastegate might be fluttering, and check the BOV it might be opening if you have the lighter spring in it. Unless you have the stock recirculating one.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #12

You can also flip the bov so the face is pointed towards the hood instead of toward the headlights. Helps to keep it closed underboost.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #13

ya i have a forge blow off, and how could i tell if my wastegate is fluttering, and what could i do to fix it.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
JK
Elder

What spring do you have in it? I have the second heaviest in my Forge 001 and mine starts to blow open around 25 psi...when I had the lighter spings in there I couldn't get more than 20 psi.

Clean the BPC again. I did it at least twice, maybe 3 times before it really got cleaned out.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsc View Post
You can also flip the bov so the face is pointed towards the hood instead of toward the headlights. Helps to keep it closed underboost.
Anyone have a pic of this orientation to ensure mine is as stated?
I assume the "face" is where the vacuum line attaches?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
Elder

You want the piston/spring/face/etc in the valve perpendicular to the cold side intercooler pipe. In a 9k, facing up. NG900/9-3/9-5 facing toward the driver's side of the car.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

So if the valve was transparent the actual piston would look as though it would slide through the nipple allocation in the cold side charge pipe if all other materials of the valve were dissolved away?
This is a little confusing depending on which way the valve is mounted. I mean I could mount it a couple ways and consider it perpendicular to the pipe and simply twist the unit 90 degrees past one of those ways and consider it parallel.
I'm looking for a pic to clear all doubt.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
So if the valve was transparent the actual piston would look as though it would slide through the nipple allocation in the cold side charge pipe if all other materials of the valve were dissolved away?
This is a little confusing depending on which way the valve is mounted. I mean I could mount it a couple ways and consider it perpendicular to the pipe and simply twist the unit 90 degrees past one of those ways and consider it parallel.
I'm looking for a pic to clear all doubt.
I know this is a 9k engine bay, but it should give you an idea...same principle applies. See how the vac line is facing up? Usually it faces toward the front of the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in