Reducing intake temps... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
Reducing intake temps...

On erics site he talks about removing the insulation and having the engine bay tems lower... im scared if i do this the heat will change the paint color.... anyone have any ideas on this one?
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Elder

I removed my insulation, but I don't have a turbo, and no heat damage as of yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to SaabScott
Re: Reducing intake temps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerchip
On erics site he talks about removing the insulation and having the engine bay tems lower... im scared if i do this the heat will change the paint color.... anyone have any ideas on this one?

I would think that if anyone would have trouble with heat, it would be Eric.

If he doesn't have that problem, us "average" folk should be OK.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Re: Reducing intake temps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabScott
I would think that if anyone would have trouble with heat, it would be Eric.
Thanks Scott :P

It is obvious that removing the underhood insulation is not good for the paint, but the question is how bad is it. I think that over several years the high temps could fade the paint. But the extent of the discoloration will depend on the paint color and climate. I am planing on installing a thin reflective piece to help reflect the heat and keep the paint looking good

Eric
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 10-11-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
another option is to jet-hot coat your manifolds, down pipe, and exhaust side of the turbocharger. reduces under hood temps in the C-900 greatly. I'm sure it's the same for NG's
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #6

I'm running no insulation, and there's no discoloration as of yet.

My buddy is a body man/painter and he said that I won't have a problem.

Really the hood dosn't even feel very hot after I've been driving.

The insulation is there primarily to keep engine noise down.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

took a quick look under the hood today, is the inslation just clipped on? i tried to pull one up thinking they were clips and looked like the inslation was gunna tear.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #8

Try not to pull on the insulation, just pull out the fasteners.This way you don't rip your insulation and can put it back on if you have to.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Just put a small square of reflective insulation above the turbo on the hood. Or cut some holes in the hood...remove your bumper too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-12-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Administrator

I took that crap outa there, It seems it was holding heat in... ALOT of heat. just holding it and sound proffing the engine bay a little. I am EXTREEEEMLY happy that its gone... the BPV sounds better and there is no dirt/ crap filled matt in my engine bay.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 10-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #11

AMEN!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
heres a couple of ways

you'll like this one~!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Since I live in the land of high ambient temps and low octane, I can especially appreciate lower intake temps, and more detonation resistance.

Here are the things which have helped me the most (noticable difference):

1. The 82C degree t-stat from the 9000 Aero. It should fit in any NG900 or 9-3. It slightly decreases fuel mileage, but in the B235R at least, the difference is drastic in warm weather. this may be unique to the B235R, but still it made a huge difference on 91 octane and in 80-110 degree weather.

2. Thermal wrapping all the intake piping, and airbox. (a la ERP) On T7 it will only help in very warm weather, or on low octane. On T5, it should help in all conditions. (This is because of the different boost control methods.)

3. Putting duct tape over the gap above the Viggen intercooler, thus forcing the air through the intercooler instead of going over it. (You may want to use something better than duct tape, but hey, it is called DUCT tape, and it's intercooler DUCTing, so why not? It works.)

4. The coolant throttle bypass. Remember that the 9-3 has a different bypass tube size than the NG900, but works the same. I wouldn't do this in a cold climate.

Those are just what I have tried. I've also tried NPG+ waterless coolant. If I lived back east it probably would have been fine, but it caused a slight decrease in power, and I will soon be switching back to the standard coolant. In a non-performance application it does seem to improve fuel mileage, for what it's worth.

Adrian~
Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #14
Administrator

hemm I would like to get a CO2 spray for my intercooler just for racing... I would be intrested to see prices.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 10-12-2004, 05:40 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
the sprayer you have to set up and make shure you dont get ANY into the intake..or you will loose plenty of power because the CO2 will displace the O2 that you need!..

good list Adrian!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
i was talking to a buddy of mine that used to work at a dyno and they used to spray some intercoolers with nitrous bottles that they had lying around and they said that somehow the juice actually got into the intake air, in particular one car they dynoed jumped from 300whp to 330whp.... so they were all dumbfounded..... to test the theory that the nitrous was getting in, they sprayed co2 on it and ended up putting down 289whp
i am still gonna make a co2 sprayer for my car regardless, but then i will b able to test this theory to be true or not
Old 10-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerchip
hemm I would like to get a CO2 spray for my intercooler just for racing... I would be intrested to see prices.
I saw one on Ebay for about $250, but that didn't include the CO2....Have you considered spraying a water/rubbing alcohol mix? You can set up a small pump to spray the IC and another for water injection. Between the two of them, you'll seriously reduce your combustion temps....

This is the next step for me, once the ECU comes back....
Old 10-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
i have a water sprayer right now but u really need to get the right nozzles to mist the water and there needs to be enough pressure too
Old 10-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #19
Administrator

Im thinking Nitrous... but i dont know where to get a kit for a good deal.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 10-12-2004, 10:38 PM   #20

I think if you were building a dedicated street racer, something that you didn't need to rely on to get you to work or school the next day, then N2O or CO2 spray might be the way to go for some extra ponies.

I'm always skittish about tanks of NO and CO2 left in a car, especially in the summer. One clogged relief valve while you're at the mall on a hot day and you walk back to the smoldering hulk that was your car. I lived in Florida for years and every so often some guy's ride would go up in smoke! That was usually from a nitrous bottle. The CO2 tanks just explode. No flames.

I can't even imagine how I would feel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in