catch can - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

catch can

didn't someone have a link to an acura forum where a guy made a catch can out of a stainless water bottle for like $10... if anyone remembers this address please let me know...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i was going to do mine with a big pill bottle, but a stainless water bottle would work too
just have one hose going in like 3/4 the way, then another hose coming out (barely into the can) with a little filter on the end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
You can do it with about anything that wont rust. Beer cans are good too.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #4

here you go

HERE you go. that was awhile ago. ill take some pictures of mine once i get new batteries for my cam. I'd suggest not using the filter cuz it looks like it could be a pain. The filter is really not that necessary.
GS stuff
oil leak
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #5

thanks im thinking this might be a weekend job... or if i find time on a day off here soon...
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #6

yea it didnt take any more then 2 hours minus the sanding and repainting of the can.
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Elder

Can someone explain the benefit of a catch can?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Can someone explain the benefit of a catch can?
Instead of running the valve cover breather/crank vent to the intake and burning up all the oil vapor and blowby gases in the motor again, you "catch" them in a tank/can, which you drain at your convenience. The advantadge is less plumbing (you can eliminate lots of bs hoses in certain cars), and you don't get the oil film buildup in your intercooler, piping and compressor housing.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Instead of running the valve cover breather/crank vent to the intake and burning up all the oil vapor and blowby gases in the motor again, you "catch" them in a tank/can, which you drain at your convenience. The advantadge is less plumbing (you can eliminate lots of bs hoses in certain cars), and you don't get the oil film buildup in your intercooler, piping and compressor housing.
So if i just have it ragged off for now, it won't do me much harm besides not looking like Dave's 9-5?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I wouldn't plug up the breather hose....the oil vapors need to go somewhere without a high pressure build up....unless you enjoy blowing seals.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
Elder

Yeah it needs to go somewhere. You can stick a small filter in the valve cover and leave it like that...problem is you'll just get oil spray all over the intake manifold.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarl View Post
HERE you go. that was awhile ago. ill take some pictures of mine once i get new batteries for my cam. I'd suggest not using the filter cuz it looks like it could be a pain. The filter is really not that necessary.
That is an excellent job. Looks very professional. I bought a Jazz mini can, but I like yours better.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
I wouldn't plug up the breather hose....the oil vapors need to go somewhere without a high pressure build up....unless you enjoy blowing seals.
It's not plugged, just didn't know if there had to be vaccum or something...

Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
It's not plugged, just didn't know if there had to be vaccum or something...
Nope, vacuum isn't necessary...

You'll notice heavier than usual oil consumption if it's plugged up anyway...I'd just not use the "rag" solution for too long.

The water bottle idea is pretty neat...a fun evening project I'd say...

Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #15
Elder

I run the same setup on my car with a breather filter on the catch can (no vaccum). I haven't noticed any oil consumption, which was near zero to start with.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
a12

One of the major benefits of the catch can that no one mentioned is the fact that the oil vapors otherwise entering the intake manifold, also enter the combustion chamber and mix with the fuel and air mixture. The oil mixed with fuel actually lowers the octane rating of the fuel to a small degree which can cause detonation.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...QQcmdZViewItem

Just buy one, save yourself the time in trying to make one yourself. They're pretty cheap now, and with the nice gauge to show how full it is.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #18

heres my setup
GS stuff
oil leak
Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarl View Post
heres my setup
Please replace that black intake hose with some aluminum.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #20

haha i would but im in school and have barely any money and dont know how id cut an oversized pipe without any saws. but thanks for the suggestion. is it a 2.5 inch pipe? i guess i could search around on ebay.
GS stuff
oil leak

Last edited by squarl; 10-02-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in