Another turbo thread.... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr56
Another turbo thread....

Alright guys, been doing plenty of research, searching, yada yada.

So here is where I am stuck at.

Just put in my JSP stg3 ecu, pretty happy with the results, but not happy with my turbo. It was noisey before the ecu, specially anything over 4500rpms, she would sream like there is some serious metal on metal action going on. Checked the oil, plenty in the car, not sure if there is a way to see if the oil is reaching the bearings in the turbo to see if they are still lubricated, or just completely shot. There was some noticeble shaft movement when i did the downpipe. Now that im boosting above 15psi, the turbo is like blowing a whistle in your ear. Holds boost, but sounds like its ready to grenade.

SO here are my options, as everyone else seems to do.

Buy a new refirbed t25 on ebay, and send out my stock t25 for a discount. Cheap, simple and easy replacement. But curious if the stg 3 will be any better "feeling" on the butt dyno, then the shit turbo I have now

Or take my viggen turbo that i bought last year, and finally send it out for a rebuild, go throught he process of new lines, and figure out what I need to know about a stg3 ecu on a td04.

Now is the td04 really worth it? Opinions and facts would be great. I know a lot of you guys have gone through this thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
JK
Elder

Good lord, how many threads about TD04 vs t25 are there going to be?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!??!?!uno??!!??!?! ?question??!?!

Really though, read some of the other threads, lots of info.

And in short, yes the TD04 will work pretty nice up to 300hp, and 300hp feels nice.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #3

haha yea I know, just figured I should start my own whoreish thread before I drop another 500 bucks this weekend

Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Yeah, TD04 is worth it over the T25...especially if you don't want to dump a ton of cash on a custom GT/bb setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #5

Dismantling the TD04 isn't that hard with the right tools, mainly a good set of ring pliers.

The rebuild kits come with new journal bearings, thrust washers, O-rings, shaft seals and gaskets.

I haven't done it, but there are several rebuild tip docs on tha intarwebz..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Dismantling the TD04 isn't that hard with the right tools, mainly a good set of ring pliers.

The rebuild kits come with new journal bearings, thrust washers, O-rings, shaft seals and gaskets.

I haven't done it, but there are several rebuild tip docs on tha intarwebz..
This is a pretty simple process, everything comes apart easily and goes back together easily.
The last tdo4 i rebuilt, we didn't even need to use anything from the rebuild kit, everything was great condition, just grimy in the inside.

Take apart the tdo4 yourself, spend a night on it while you're watching tv, then put it together the next night.

Save yourself the 500, it really takes the mechanical knowledge of a 5yearold, it just takes a little time.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #7

Yea but what about balancing the turbine shafts? I have looked into rebuild kits, just thought I should do it the right way.....at a machine shop
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepr56 View Post
Alright guys, been doing plenty of research, searching, yada yada.

So here is where I am stuck at.

Just put in my JSP stg3 ecu, pretty happy with the results, but not happy with my turbo. It was noisey before the ecu, specially anything over 4500rpms, she would sream like there is some serious metal on metal action going on. Checked the oil, plenty in the car, not sure if there is a way to see if the oil is reaching the bearings in the turbo to see if they are still lubricated, or just completely shot. There was some noticeble shaft movement when i did the downpipe. Now that im boosting above 15psi, the turbo is like blowing a whistle in your ear. Holds boost, but sounds like its ready to grenade.

SO here are my options, as everyone else seems to do.

Buy a new refirbed t25 on ebay, and send out my stock t25 for a discount. Cheap, simple and easy replacement. But curious if the stg 3 will be any better "feeling" on the butt dyno, then the shit turbo I have now

Or take my viggen turbo that i bought last year, and finally send it out for a rebuild, go throught he process of new lines, and figure out what I need to know about a stg3 ecu on a td04.

Now is the td04 really worth it? Opinions and facts would be great. I know a lot of you guys have gone through this thought process.
Find a 6cm2 tdo4 turbine housing and do a 18t rebuid, fairly cheap and decent stage 5 power. That is my take. No question the tdo4 outflows the t25.

John
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepr56 View Post
Yea but what about balancing the turbine shafts? I have looked into rebuild kits, just thought I should do it the right way.....at a machine shop
Why would it not be balanced already?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #10

Well I dont know the past of the td04 I have know, so I dont knwo how it was treated. Could have some issues that could leaded to an unblananced shaft like heat deformation, or chipped turbine blades.

But then again I work on reciprocating compressors all day not turbines. I will do some more digging. I am still working out a deal with two companies, to take both cores I have for a cheap but new turbo.

Eric, did you ever run a td04? Or did you go right from stg3 to the gt28?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Elder

I never ran one, my roomate's got one we rebuilt on his ng though. I was going to stick stage 3 for a while, but one popped up and I had to have it.

and BTW, i FINALLY put a boost gauge in haha. I'm spiking at 29psi, holding 26 or so, not sure to what rpms though.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #12

hmmmm, the td04 is very tempting. Ill have to chat it up with Jak to see what kinda deal he can set me up with for a re-flash or if I can stay on his stg3 map safely with it.

Well hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have a decision made. With the stg3 now, im spiking at 23, holding at 21-22, unless the wastegate spring fails. Its quick, but not the fireworks I was hoping for....but again the turbo is shot to shit...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Elder

I'd say run it and if it doesn't feel right then reflash, he's going to tell you that a reflash is necessary because its $200 in income for him

edit: not saying this b/c of jak, but in general that's life.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #14

Yea I know, but I got kinda piped by that kid selling me the ecu, since Jak wants a core in return.....which is Jak's demand/deal, so hopefully he can cut me a break if I call and bother him again.

What are you running for oil/coolent lines on the gt? Or better yet, when are you back to cny again?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
Elder

CNY is a long ways away, I'm thinking thanksgiving. Oil and coolant are custom stock/gas line, and I took some of the hosemaking skills i learned at Haun and crimped some ferrules on the ends of them. I'd be willing to bet they're the best converted stock/gas lines on the net.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Find a 6cm2 tdo4 turbine housing and do AT LEAST a 18t rebuid, fairly cheap and decent stage 5 power. That is my take. No question the tdo4 outflows the t25. John
Don't feel rushed, reinstall the OEM Ecu and you should have a few months or so at a low pressure. IMOA save some pennies and you can go with the turbo above or you can ask Jak for a deal on one of his T28/Stg4-5ish deals?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Id be nervous running a larger turbo on software designed to fuel for less air...

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #18

You can do it, as long as you don't piss off the car by beating on it.

I ran a 16T for about a month on stock tuning, and ran a GT30 for about two, three weeks on a baseline tune that wasn't optimized for WOT at all.

In both cases, if you use the BPC, you'll hit fuel cut if there's too much boost for the metered amount of fuel.

Dunno what would happen if you bypass the BPC and use an MBC.....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Dunno what would happen if you bypass the BPC and use an MBC.....
I can imagine....and it would end poorly with lots of dollar signs...

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
td-04 on stock software is safe. for any model. t5,t7, whatever.
I personally wouldnt run any turbo larger on stock software and even get close to wot. in fact, i think i would get the wastegate set to 5psi, just to be safe.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in