I chickened out :-) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
jak
TSLMember

I chickened out :-)

Im gona buy some wider steel wheels
I mounted the tires on those wheels I welded up & put them on the car & I was like ........ this isent a good idea
I have some 6.5s Ill run for this pair of tires & then Ill buy some 8X15s to put on there
take care & have a great weekend
JAK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Have you checked into Diamond Racing wheels? They're cheap and seem to be popular with low-dollar autocrossers and track racers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ahh come on Jak live dangerously!! You said it best man.. "if you aint breaking stuff you aint going fast enough" !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
what??? I thought those widened steel wheels were sweet!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Elder

^^ I must be flying, cause my car is broke broke broke

Going with "real" wheels was probably a good call, Jak.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Aww don't be a pansy!

I mean really, put them on a balancer and see if they balance up. I can't imagine anything horrible happening with ocasional use if they balance up.

I wouldn't want to take em up to high speeds for extended periods, but for Drag racing, not an issue. What you max speed will be 110 mph or so and for a very short time!

And really, if they fail, it is steel, so it won't be some fast fracture, you'd probably get an air leak that would serve as an early warning!

Seriously, I have faith in your welds!

Tboy
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Elder

It'd be much more fun talking about your car at the drag if you were able to say you made your wheels from 2 scrap ones.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
jak
TSLMember

I have pretty good intuition & that little bird was a chirpin
Im not a cantidate for natural selection

Im gona go to 15s because there is a wider variety of slicks in 15s & I may make another set then or buy a set at that point but for now Im gona run some 16X6.5s I have here, the min rim width is 7 inches on the tires & I know Im under & if I think it isent working well like that I may use the steel ones I made
take care
JAK
Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #9
JZW
Elder

Yea, I run 15's and most other guys too, you can get 235x50x15" on there with no issues if you want...

You might actually be going 115-120mph in the 1/4 with nitrous. My car with maybe 340whp would be 12.7 at 115mph and that is a little fast to have a front wheel come apart The track is not very wide and if you went hard into the other lane and hit another car or the wall, that could be very bad...

I say its a wise choice... Its not like you are 17 again...

John
Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I say its a wise choice... Its not like you are 17 again...

John
Hey, I resent that.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #11
Elder

Damn kids.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #12
jak
TSLMember

I actually may be using them afterall
I almost wrecked my brand new MT drag radials
on the 6.5 16s they rubed on the strut
I did catch it in time so the dammage was only cosmetic
I may use these till I burn thru the drag radials & then buy wheels to run the 15s
we will see
I hope you all have a great weekend
JAK
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
What would your max speed will be 110 mph?
Yeah those were alittle scary. If tech noticed, it probably would have been a quick night.

What have you done with the drivetrain?

Whats your 60 foot goal 1.9? You know any faster is gonna hurt.

110mph is a given, 125/130 now that's a challenge for 400whp.

Last edited by SAABOOST; 09-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #14
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Hey, I resent that.
Don't worry, you will understand when you get to be 40...
Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABOOST View Post
Yeah those were alittle scary. If tech noticed, it probably would have been a quick night.

What have you done with the drivetrain?

Whats your 60 foot goal 1.9? You know any faster is gonna hurt.

110mph is a given, 125/130 now that's a challenge for 400whp.
130 would be very tuff, but I think if I got 115mph with 340whp uncorrected, maybe 120mph is possible with 400whp....

John
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #16
jak
TSLMember

I have no idea what it will do as of yet
for the runs on my car Im using a stock engine & trans

on the drag car Ill be using a sort of stock trans with a quaiffe diff & a 2.3 forged piston engine, T5 head with T5 valves ported blah blah blah

I just want to do a few runs with my car to see what it does & then Im gona detune it & build the drag car
have a great weekend
JAK
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Don't worry, you will understand when you get to be 40...
Well, I'm 18 now so hopefully by the time I'm 40 I'll know everything you all know now and THEN some.

Quote:
130 would be very tuff, but I think if I got 115mph with 340whp uncorrected, maybe 120mph is possible with 400whp....
John
I would second that bet...I'd imagine 60whp making a difference of at least 5mph on the track. That reminds me..take a look at what a friend of mine pulled back in kc a few days ago, John. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...9f0111db59.htm
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #18

John what was your 60ft on the 12.7 run?

Last edited by SAABOOST; 09-08-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
c900 Grognard
Elder

Wait, were you gonna do huge drag radials on the front two wheels and little tires on back, as in the opposite of a traditional dragster? Because that would be hilarious and practical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Wait, were you gonna do huge drag radials on the front two wheels and little tires on back, as in the opposite of a traditional dragster? Because that would be hilarious and practical!
Yeah, lots of front wheel drive drag cars run huge slicks in the front and skinny's in the rear....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in