3" Exhaust Situation - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
3" Exhaust Situation

So I need to get my NG900 back on the road ASAP.

My choices are as follows:

1- Put the Stock downpipe/cat back on, and swap back to my stock ECU (I don't want to run the stock downpipe on stage 3 anymore for risk of high EGTs)

2- Keep the JT 3" Downpipe on it (it's currently installed), and have a buddy help me weld a chunk of 3" pipe from the downpipe, remove the center muffler, and connect to the stock 2.5" exhaust at the bend behind the center muffler. This would keep me running cat-less and I'd have to come up with an O2 sensor solution to keep my CEL clear.

3- Order a 3" high-flow cat off Summit and have a local exhaust shop (crush) bend up a full 3" exhaust. Either keeping the stock rear muffler or installing a performance 3" high-flow muffler.

I would like to have my NG900 back on the road by next week, and spend as little money as possible. And I'd like to keep stage3, so #1 is really not an option.

The problem I see with #2 is I don't have a 3" flexpipe at all, and I would really like to have a flexpipe or two on the exhaust to keep things from cracking/breaking.

And finally, the problem with #3 is the time it will take to get the cat/etc from summit, and then the cost of the exhaust shop doing the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
You can get 3" flex sections off ebay and summit for less than a Cat. Also while thats being done have the shop/ buddy weld in a 1" spacer for the rear o2 bung so the sensor sits out of the direct flow of exhaust which should take care of the CEL.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Elder

if the exhaust shop does the work, I *HAVE* to have them install a cat.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Find a new exhaust shop. I went to a Midas when I was looking some stuff and they said they wouldnt have a problem doing it. Drive in with the stock DP on or something and tell them this is for off road use only.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

My Houston-area exhaust shop put in a 3-inch flex section and changed out a 3-inch cat for $200. Is that more than you can stand?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
Find a new exhaust shop. I went to a Midas when I was looking some stuff and they said they wouldnt have a problem doing it. Drive in with the stock DP on or something and tell them this is for off road use only.

PROBLEM

I have the JT 3" downpipe without cat. Meaning there is about a foot long gap that needs to be filled. So if I put on my stock DP/Cat and have them do 3" cat-back, I still have a gap to have filled when I put the JT DP back on.

This is why I'm inclined to just order a flexpipe or two and have my buddy weld 3" in as a replacement for the center muffler, and just connect to the stock rear section around the bends. But I still need to get a 3" flexpipe.

I wonder if there are any stores in Minneapolis that carry 3" flex... I'll be in minneapolis for a meeting tomorrow, so that would save me on shipping costs/time.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen Dave View Post
My Houston-area exhaust shop put in a 3-inch flex section and changed out a 3-inch cat for $200. Is that more than you can stand?
I'm looking to get this done for under $100. I can have the exhaust shop do full 3" for under $200.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Tell them it is for your ice racer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
There ARE shops that will weld it up for ya. For cheapest bang I would say a flex section off ebay and a bung to take the O2 out of stream. Should cost you right around your target price easy. However, the issue is your time constraint. Stuff off ebay can take a while...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
There ARE shops that will weld it up for ya. For cheapest bang I would say a flex section off ebay and a bung to take the O2 out of stream. Should cost you right around your target price easy. However, the issue is your time constraint. Stuff off ebay can take a while...
There ARE shops that would weld it up sans-cat... yes. But they are not in my price-range.

I supply the cat, and it's $150 for full 3" (including cost of materials).

The other shops would charge me $150-200 just to weld in a straight pipe where the cat would have gone.

Plus, something Jak Stoll said during the TSL party at SOC has kinda stuck in the back of my mind. Yes I could run my car without a cat because MN doesn't have emissions testing... But that wouldn't be responsible.

I think I'm talking myself into just ordering a cat + flex and having the shop do up the full 3"...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Pick your posion.

Quote:
  • Catalytic converters are "estimated" to account for 50% of total nitrous oxide (dinitrogen oxide, 'laughing gas') emissions to atmosphere. While N2O emissions in these concentrations are not harmful to human health, it is a potent greenhouse gas, accounting for around 7% of the overall greenhouse effect despite its small concentration in the atmosphere. The California Air Resources Board is investigating this issue, and will introduce legislation to address it if necessary.
  • The manufacturing of catalytic converters requires palladium and/or platinum; a portion of the world supply of these precious metals is produced near the Russian city of Norilsk (about 15%), with significant negative environmental effects due to the lack of environmental protection legislation. [2]

Personally, I would pull the ECU until you have more time and money.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Elder

Option two, plz.

Go to an exhaust shop that will look the other way and keep the DP.

Offer them $100 for the job. The prices at muffler shops are highly negotiable.

Stock-ass turboback systems FTL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Palmer where did you get that info about the cat?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I'd keep the catless pipe on there....so #2.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
Palmer where did you get that info about the cat?

Wiki.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
um... cat's are supposed to reduce the no emisions. wtf?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

No they convert the emissions to something slightly less toxic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in