240sx fell in my yard.... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

240sx fell in my yard....

Well, I just could not pass up this deal as my neighbor wanted to get whatever he could for this 89 nissan 240sx... I guess I am going over to the dark side... 1775.00 for a sr20det red top motor with t25 and manual tranny and ecu and wiring harness. It will bolt right up. I will use a piggy back controller to run the fuel and timing.

My gt3071 with .86ar turbine should do well on that motor. RWD and drag racing is looking better to me now. Gut it down, build it up......

I guess you can call me the drift king now...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0004.JPG (19.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0005.JPG (21.0 KB, 45 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to bassplya38
Nice
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Elder

Rice?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Rice?
Fail.
Nice car! Cruise in the Saab, use that for serious racing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
good job... get to it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to PAsaab900
dude i would say thats a great deal..... the shop that built my mustange did one of them for a buddy of mine..... the kit for the motor alone is like 2 grand... good luck..... hey when she is all done i got a stange to race ya with.....
Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

neat car, couple of them on my campus. You should be able to get some serious power out of it that's for sure

1984 Saab 900 Turbo - stripped for Auto-X
1999 Saab 9-3 SE - drive way sitter
1999 Saab 9-3 Stage 3- the DD
Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Rice?
gt30 and gutted interior is rice? just because it comes from japan, doesn't make it rice.

have fun with that, jon. can't wait to see what you do with it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
gt30 and gutted interior is rice? just because it comes from japan, doesn't make it rice.

have fun with that, jon. can't wait to see what you do with it.

x2

That car certainly is NOT rice.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
x2

That car certainly is NOT rice.
X3

That's going to be one fun project. Have fun with it!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Thanks guys, yea that is just what I was thinking, I can have my saabs for daily driving and street monsters and have the 240 for balls out racing. Won't care about the paint or the looks and if it breaks it won't hurt so much!

Some say you can build those ka24 motors, but I think since you can get such a good deal on those 30k Japan sr20 motors, I will go that route. I have heard now that Nick at Mac autosports is making 450whp with his sr20 red top with stock internals, except mild cams and the t3 gt3071 and he is now running E-85 and only 1 bar or 15psi to get all that power! He gets peak power at 7300rpm too... It will be nice to rev a little higher I think...

I have not had a rwd car in a while and I think this will bring some new life into my driving style and I can have a lot of fun with it.

The vert really is just too nice to roll cage it up and completely destroy it,

John
Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
oooh, that's gonna be nasty.

Nice score!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Elder

just a word of advice, look heavily into turboing the ka24. AMS (the famous evo company) just started a 240 site and has a 900 or so rwhp 9 or 10 sec (i cant remember) monster of a ka24, as internals can be had for cheap. the sr20 is becoming very difficult to get regular maintenance parts for in the us.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Here's my friends drifter:
http://wesqu.1g.fi/kuvat/X-treme+Dri...7/IMG_0159.jpg
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I hope its not a Hicas all wheel steering car. Shoot me a pm with your mailing address. And let me know if you need anything for the car, Nissan/Nismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
just a word of advice, look heavily into turboing the ka24. AMS (the famous evo company) just started a 240 site and has a 900 or so rwhp 9 or 10 sec (i cant remember) monster of a ka24, as internals can be had for cheap. the sr20 is becoming very difficult to get regular maintenance parts for in the us.
You know that is not a bad idea, I looked into that a little and I guess with some good ross forged pistons, a bore over and some good forged rods, the crankshaft is forged, so knife-eging it and balancing seems to help, that would make a strong bottom end. Then port/polish the head and throw a nice size turbo on it... Whalla.... That would be cheaper I think...

Still not sure about the ecu, maybe a re-flash will be required and then maybe a piggy back to adjust the fuel to where I need it for boost.

John
Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
Elder

I'd tap it THUMBS UP

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #18
jak
TSLMember

good job john
Ive tuned a couple of SR20DETs now one with an apexi power FC (like finding money on the ground) & one OE board with a sisterboard I soldered on
verry tunable & verry durrable
it is a good choice for a multipurpose track car
take care
JAK
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
JZW
Elder

Yea, once I decide which way to go, I will be talking to you about what you think is the best way to tune it for the power I want.

I am really thinking of just pulling the motor down, taking it to my engine builder and having it specked out and seeing what he says about trying to get 400whp out of a sohc ka24e motor. Crank is good, so maybe some forged rods and pistons and some arp studs to lock it all together.

There is lots of room to get to the motor mounts and to make a nice top mount manifold for a good size turbo. One guy said he can have the entire motor out with the tranny attached in about 1 hour 15 minutes... That sounds appealing... We shall see,

John
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #20
Elder

look here
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/index.php?cPath=24

specifically here.
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...hp?cPath=24_72

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in