Datalogging SW info (Mac Users) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Datalogging SW info (Mac Users)

So Im looking to do some data logging with my mac, I have a bunch of Innovate's goodies sitting here as well as some OBD2 data logging software, all of which requires Windows to run.

My question to you Mac users is what will be better for me, Parallels or save my money and wait for the new OS to come out with Boot Camp and run Beta for now?

I have (had actually) the demo copy of parallels and was pleased with it, but Nate (saabkid) suggest that boot camp may be the better suited application as it allows for full processor/memory allocation to the Windows OS.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I have had MUCH more luck w/ Boot Camp. Parallels are essentially an OS shell. I find them to be more unstable. Or you could keep your Mac a full on Mac and pick-up and old used PC laptop for like $200 tops and your set.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Elder

eh buying a beat laptop would be pointless since the mac has such a high end fast processor.

parallels is plenty stable, especially the new one, but yeah like i said, not enough resources, so the datalogger might be a tad slow.

might as well try bootcamp especially cuz its free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Elder

Parallels is great...is you have enough memory to support all of its functions. 1 GB is not enough, as my brother found out.

I would say stick with boot camp its free, faster and etc. Though yes you do have to restart and all but I would say waiting the minute for it to restart is much better then having a bogged down mac running parallels.

Though I don't know what your spces are.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Parallels ran great on my Macbook Pro (2.16 core duo (not core 2) and 2 gigs of ram).

I run book camp just so I can have 100% go to windows for things like games.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Not sure your budget, but some of these packages run on palm based systems like autoenginuity. Used palms are cheap as hell.
Good luck
Old 08-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Not sure your budget, but some of these packages run on palm based systems like autoenginuity. Used palms are cheap as hell.
Good luck
Yea, Im using some AutoEnginuity stuff but the Innovate Logworks program is only in its full version on PC I do believe.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
Elder

What are the sys requirements for this software? Link?

I have an older PC laptop you could borrow for as long you like. Its just sitting in a closet. I'd only ask you teach me a thing or two about all this

Its a DELL Pentium 500 Mhz, I think, with 128 mb of Ram.

I'll give you a ring this afternoon
Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #9
Elder

He he, you Mac guys are funny.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
You windoze wankers are funny looking. And smelling

I have Parallels but it's really kind of crappy. I wouldn't use it for anything fairly mission critical like that. Boot Camp would be the way to go. Well actually the way to go is just buy some old pile of shit windoze laptop and not corrupt your Mac with that virus, but maybe that's not an option you would consider.

There's another parallels-type program from VMWare that is supposed to be better than Parallels. I haven't tried it yet (read: haven't found it on "those sites") so I have no experience. I think Amish was playing with it.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
Elder

the new version of parallels is quite good.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
lms

Get a used laptop, they are a dime a dozen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in