Possible Upgrades to the 5cm2 Housings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Possible Upgrades to the 5cm2 Housings

Ok so I have been talking to my buddies in the Volvo world and it seems that the hot side on a Volvo TD04 will easily fit our turbos (its a given I know). The benefit to this is that you would be able to get into a 7cm2 housing or possibly an 8.5cm2 housing for better flow and lower EGT's.

I am researching the specs on the housings to see exactly what we would need to do the fabrication on this and will post up as I get the information. I know some have run Volvo hybrids on here and talked about A/C deletes and I could see that if you ran the Volvo cold side since the thing is huge.

Well anyway this is the list of cars with the appropriate housings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stevehayes01; 04-23-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

When I used a Volvo 16T, I found I needed a couple of things to make the swap.

The Volvo exhaust sides have a funky recessed T3 style flange that mates with the manifold, so you'll need an adapter plate. I think ATP and a couple of other places now sell them. PaulH or Delorean might have pics. (I searched everywhere for these adapters when I did mine but couldn't find them, so I had the exhaust side filled with weld, then machined flat to mate with the manifold. Expensive, but it worked nicely. )

The connection to the downpipe can be done with the same triangular bolt flange, but the flare opening on the DP will need to be somewhat flattened. You might be need to use a soft copper gasket to seal, but I was able to tighten it with minimal leakage without a gasket....

You're right about not using the hot side without an AC delete in the NG900/9-3. It's frigging huge. If you kept the TD04 cold side from the Saab, and mated it to the Volvo turbine housing, you'd have a nice unit! (...and a prime candidate for an 18T upgrade... )

Hope this helps....

Last edited by mike saunders; 08-29-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Thanks Mike... that helps allot. Yeah ATP sells them and I have a hookup with ATP so hopefully if people want to go that route I can help out there.

The 7cm2 should help greatly to reduce those EGT's on tuned cars especially. I am sourcing some of the housings to see what the average going rate is..

So far on the Volvo sites it seems to be around $75-$100 for those sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
Steve I have a general Mitsubishi question for you, if you dont want me cluttering up this thread just let me know. Is there any way to tell how interchangeable their turbos are between each other. I want to swap out exhaust housings on my TE05 with a Volvo TD04 housing, is there any way to check if that would work?
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SPG View Post
Steve I have a general Mitsubishi question for you, if you dont want me cluttering up this thread just let me know. Is there any way to tell how interchangeable their turbos are between each other. I want to swap out exhaust housings on my TE05 with a Volvo TD04 housing, is there any way to check if that would work?
I don't see Steve logged in, and I'm not sure how quickly you need this answered, but Mitsu differentiates its turbos by size with the alpha-numerical designation. The Melett catalog is an amazing resource to check the specific sizes and applications....

http://www.melett.com/turbocharger-catalogues.php

Try here!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Elder

Good call Mike..... Thats exactly where I would have sent him too.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
thanks guys
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
Elder

Just some rought conversions on what this means exactly...

6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R

Old 08-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yeah the adapter needed to make the volvo turbos a regular T3 flange are pretty simple, but then theres the issue of the later saabs having a t25 flange, on the c900s its a straight bolt up. theres a few different downpipe flanges from what ive seen, one that is basically the same as what the t25 has, and interestingly we have two exhaust housings here that have that flange, and look identical, except one is a 6cm2 and the other is a 7cm2.

heres a pic of the kind that will bolt up to the saab downpipe

heres a picture of the adapter:

and a drawing

as you can see in the pics there, you also need to drill out the mounting holes on the flange to get it to work on c900s, but thats pretty simple.

heres a couple pics of the 7cm2 housing thats on the volvo 16t that i was running, and delorean has on his car now, this flange is used on some of the later 850s and s70s, and is a completely mechanical seal, no gasket, kinda a neat setup, and it seems to work quite well

that would of course require a custom downpipe, or mods to your current one.

Paul

Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #10

Awesome pics, Paul....

The last two are the exact exhaust flange I had on my car. The bolt spacing is the same as used the Saab's slip flange on the DP, so I flattened out the lip of the DP and it mated to the exhaust housing without a gasket. It proably could have used one after a few thousand miles, though....
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
you can get the correct non gasketed exhaust flange for the 7cm off of many volvo S70's for making a custom downpipe. After some grinding to remove the volvo downpipe from the flange, it makes a great non gasketed non leaking flange. Be sure to do the fitment work before welding the downpipe onto the flange, because once that's done there is NO adjustment, but this is also a good thing, cause your downpipe alignment will always be perfect. installing this flange onto my JT downpipe worked great! no leaking no messing around with it, it always sits just right.

Last edited by DeLorean; 08-29-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yup and welding to the factory cast flange piece wasnt nearly as difficult as i had anticipated, and no worries of it warping since the thing is nice an thick. it was a real bitch to get the parts of the original downpipe out of it though, damn factory welded it up good! we really should have gotten pictures of that setup before we installed it. also, from looking at the two flanges, the volvo one looks like it should flow quite a bit better than the saab style downpipe outlet, its probably worth the extra hassle to gain some flow in that area.

Paul

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in