Drag Results - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Drag Results

I've posted this on another forum already for those of you who visit it often enough. These runs are with intake, 3" turbo to tip, and JS Stage 3 ECU. I'm just looking for as much help as I can on launching so I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.
Branden

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Well, my results were a lot worse than what I expected to get. Granted, I've never even tried to launch my car off the streets - it's hard! I learned that the strip was actually way MORE slick than the street for some odd reason and so that didn't help in the learning process. Well, I'll show you all FOUR of my runs and then explain each..in detail.
BTW, the times that have the writing above them are the other cars. I tried to write in the names but they didn't show too well on the scan - sorry!

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I scanned them and then shrunk them down to fit. And for reference, on every run I shifted at my limit of 6250.
My first run (15.464) was against an older generation Golf, one that I thought would have been much quicker than it was. On this launch, I just wanted to get the feel for it and see how it's like to drag on the strip, and so all I did was hold at 4k and then just dump the clutch. It went nuts in first, I didn't shift too early I don't think, and then in second I started sliding sideways at first. Once I caught I thought it was pulling pretty hard only to come to realize how slow the MPH was at 91.7. Sad. My 60' was pretty bad cause of the spinning, at 2.622. According to the time slip, I was about neck-and-neck with te Golf at the 1/8 mile and 1000' as far as time, but I think the shift to third is what's killing me.

My second run (15.610) was vs an 07 G35-S with a driver who was complaining about 6th gear not doing anything for him...why he was in 6th gear I'm not sure. Everything seemed to be worse on this run EXCEPT for the 1/4 MPH. For the launch, I tried to lower the RPM a bit but I'm not sure where it was exactly because I staged after him and so I didn't have time (or the nerves) to quickly get to a steady rpm above 3k. I think I may have stayed in 1st a hair longer but it's hard to see on paper - I was only at 72.24 by the 1/8 but hit 94.09 by the 1/4, compared to the 73.06 and 91.7 for the first run. How does that make sense that I gained speed quicker between the 1/8 and the 1/4 on the second run? And actually, I bounced off the rev limiter in 2nd and then I missed 3rd at first so if anything I thought it'd be way worse (which I guess the time proves it was). So by the end of the night, that was my fastest trap.

Come the third run (15.469!!), I'd decided to try clutch slipping method. I wasn't steady with the RPM because I didn't practice heel-toeing enough to keep the gas in one place with just the toe of my shoe. I don't recall exactly how long I stayed in 1st but I felt a lot more wheelspin this time. I can't even remembe if I was gunning it or not but blah, a 2.782 60'. I did manage to get close to the trap on the last run, though, at 93.87 so that was the only good news from that run.

My last run (15.219) of the night, against the insane 11.9 Cobra, turned out to be the best. I kept it steady around 4k while clutch slipping again, and every aspect of the race was better except for the trap time at 93.23. A 2.498 60' isn't exactly anything to brag about but it's .3 seconds quicker than my worst. Half a second quicker on the 1/8, .05 mph quicker than my best, and even a quicker 1000'. 15.219 at 93.23.

After the two clutch-slipping runs and the 60's that go with them, I think that's just asking me to keep the rpm down a little bit (I knew 3200 was suggested but I tried a couple times the night before and it seemed to bog) to around maybe 3500 or so? Only practice can tell. But other than that I'm not sure how happy I am with these results. Stock, minus the altitude factors, I believe the NG900 should run a 15.1, at I-don't-know-what trap speed. Even with the altitude correction factors in, it would only have been a 14.888 at 95.15. That doesn't seem much of a difference from stock to me, considering I've 3" exhaust from turbo to tip, stage 3 JSP, and intake. I guess I should be happy that it is an improvement at all and that I know I just need to work on the launch. I'm sure the necessary suspension mods wouldn't hurt either, but what can I say - I'm a broke asss college student.

Huh, well, there you have it. Sorry to embarass you all in front of all the 11s-13s that showed up to party, but it was my first time. Hopefully next time will be better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I thought I’d chime in here since I headed up to the drag strip with my car for the first time last night.

My car is a base 01’ 2 door 5 speed with 3” downpipe/Saab Sport, TD04, SMBC, intake, free mods, springs, rack brace/clamp and most importantly STOCK SOFTWARE and my best run was a [email protected] with a 2.3 60ft.

I know getting a good 60ft isn't easy with these cars but your trap speeds should be higher especially being stage 3.

I'll try to post my slips later on today “proof” section.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k193turbo View Post
I thought I’d chime in here since I headed up to the drag strip with my car for the first time last night.

My car is a base 01’ 2 door 5 speed with 3” downpipe/Saab Sport, TD04, SMBC, intake, free mods, springs, rack brace/clamp and most importantly STOCK SOFTWARE and my best run was a [email protected] with a 2.3 60ft.

I know getting a good 60ft isn't easy with these cars but your trap speeds should be higher especially being stage 3.

I'll try to post my slips later on today “proof” section.
Well as I mentioned, I'm at a bit of an altitude and so with the correction factor it brought it up to around 14.88 at 95mph at sea level, if I remember correctly. I know those still aren't very much to be proud of but with proper suspension mods I think it may help not only the 60ft, but also the overall time. You can really feel the squishy-ness of the car when you're going WOT in every gear. Also, once I get anything better than an NG900 intercooler, that should bring up the throttle response.
I can sit here and talk about all the things I wish I had but it's not gonna help me at this moment so I'll stop while I'm ahead. Thanks a lot for the input, though, I like seeing others' numbers so I can compare.
Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in