intake ad nauseam - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Site Moderator

intake ad nauseam

hey all. i'm sure this issue has been beaten to death but i have to ask anyway. it's purely out of love for my car, ok? i want her to last forEVAR.

i cry myself to sleep every night because i can't hear the turbo spool in my '02 Viggen like i used to in my '03 SS. everyone seems to rectify this with an open intake. my main concern is filter oil on the MAF (hot air intake temps be damned!). is this a valid concern?

those of you with said breathing apparatuses (apparati? apparatae?), do you all use K&N filters? if not, what kind?

the mechanic i go to for the big stuff said he saw one car with cracked pistons from filter oil on the MAF. i cannot has cracked piston.

please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

the t8 cars don't seem to be able to use open intakes from what I hear. probably not the best. this is one of those things you might get good info on at SC, they have way more members with 9-3 SS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
Site Moderator

oh sorry, that should have read: i can't hear the turbo spool in my viggen. i used to be able to hear it really well in my '03 SS.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
Elder

I use an open air oil type in mine, and I have had no problems. The key is to figure out how much oil to use, then use half of what you thought. Then let it dry for at least a night in front of a fan or something that will move air over it.

Works well if you have another vehicle to drive for a day, then you are assured it is 100% dry. You could also just buy a second MAF to be sure you are getting good performance. So use your old MAF when you oil for a week, then put the new known good one on for the rest of the year between cleanings. They are relatively cheap.

Or you could take out all of the intake plumbing and just open up the intake box and it would work about the same. It's a bitch though, and requires front bumper removal as near as I can tell. And I wasn't able to easily get it off even when I had my front bumper off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
Site Moderator

good ideas there, Champ. thanks for the response. i think using a second MAF, while likely overkill, is the only thing that will keep me from worrying completely.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

What other mods do you have to the car?
A 3" downpipe will make the turbo noticably louder.
I would personally not use an oiled open air filter. Apex'i has their Dual Funnel (or something like that) filter which does not have to be oiled and is supposed to have good filtering abilities.
Also, if you are going to put on an open air intake forget all the kits out there that will locate the filter next to the engine, even if they come with a "heat shield". They are not good and you will have sky high intake temps.
The way to go is to draw the filter behind the foglight in order to have it suck in as cool air as possible. But then you will probably have to fix some kind of splash guard in the bottom since the filter will become wet if you happen to drive through some bigger puddles.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pade View Post
What other mods do you have to the car?
just a GS steering brace/clamp and their 22 ARB.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88 View Post
just a GS steering brace/clamp and their 22 ARB.

Ok. Like I said, a bigger downpipe will let the turbo spool a bit more freely and thus making the turbo sound a bit more.
But making mods just to make the car sound more.....?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Moderator

Quote:
i'm not the type to put an exhaust on the car to make it more obnoxious. in fact that would be way down my list of potential mods. i just really miss the hearing the turbo under acceleration.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Rather than re-oiling your filters, you can just replace them with new ones every 20k miles. Then sell the used one for half the cost of a new one to someone willing to oil it and use it.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
I think everyone with an open air intake does it for this reason.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
Rather than re-oiling your filters, you can just replace them with new ones every 20k miles.
are new ones considerably less oily? would it be prudent to let a new filter sit out to dry a bit before installing?

i've had K&Ns in two previous cars....never gave it 1/10th this much thought.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I think everyone with an open air intake does it for this reason.
Yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case..
Old 09-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
Site Moderator

jesus h christ in a chicken basket. i installed the GS intake today and hot damn! i have a turbo! or at least i can finally hear it again...

one question though -- doesn't seem like i can really clamp the filter very tightly onto the part of the MAF that sticks through the heat shield. is that ok? i went for a drive and checked it twice...seems to be staying in place alright.

i will now do the sound for you:

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhSHHHHWHOOSH
Old 09-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88 View Post
jesus h christ in a chicken basket.

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhSHHHHWHOOSH

Yep, that sounds about right.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I have the GS intake. Makes nice noises but, no real gains. I think a 3" dp would be a better investment for noise and performance. Glad you like your new part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in