Thanks to our NA breatheren. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to brewtide
Thanks to our NA breatheren.

Hello.

Over the weekend, Nickturbo900 and I, on a whim decided to play cars.

Without details, the 2.3 NA motor design helped my car significantly gain a ton of torque. It's only been ~ 1 day since 'completion', so I'm unsure of the long term effects it may have on the engine.

All to be said is that for ~$50 and a bit of time, you can greatly increase torque using factory parts.

Many props out to Nick for working on this with me over the weekend, letting me crash at his house, and dealing with my ever-annoying persistence in figuring out an issue.

Anyone else do something like this? As of the moment, and it could be just me, it's one of two cars that I know about with such a mod. Although, I'm sure more are out there.

Guesses?

-Bny
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

you put a 2.3 crank into your 2.0?

Tboy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #3

Nope.

Also, this isn't 'dyno' proven, yet, by myself...

But truth be told, butt dyno doesn't lie on this one. Butt dyno's can't give numbers, but you can tell, straight up, it made significant difference.

-Bny

Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 AM   #4

NA cams?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
NA intake manifold?
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #6

Nope.

-Bny
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #7

Eric gets the beer. =)
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtide View Post
Eric gets the beer. =)
I'll drink an extra one tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 AM   #9

You are my hero.

Eric, have you done this to the old car? I'm forgetting.

-Bny
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
Elder

I want a C900 intake manifold to fit my car and let it make the glorious noise they make!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 AM   #11
ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtide View Post
You are my hero.

Eric, have you done this to the old car? I'm forgetting.

-Bny
No, never installed it. I think it was Yankton who did a dyno comparison with the turbo and NA manifolds. The NA manifold made 10-20 ft-lbs more in the mid range but was ~10 hp down at peak. It's a good upgrade if you prefer the trade off.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #12

This has been done in Sweden for a few years with those results that Eric mentioned...

It's a nice way of getting a nice kick in the butt from 3,000-4,500 RPM, but it kills the top end.

This would be a nice project to try to overcome that drawback....
Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Cool, I'm saving my na intake for my 900CSE project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Going to pick up mine in a week or two.

Thinking of bolting it to a 2.3 turbo motor...

Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I want a C900 intake manifold to fit my car and let it make the glorious noise they make!
I think you want a C900 exhaust manifold, if you want that glorious noise they make. Nothing special about their intake manifold that I know of. Good luck with getting the exhaust hooked up...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
No, never installed it. I think it was Yankton who did a dyno comparison with the turbo and NA manifolds. The NA manifold made 10-20 ft-lbs more in the mid range but was ~10 hp down at peak. It's a good upgrade if you prefer the trade off.
Yeah. My car being an auto, the plus' outweigh the negatives. I read a post by Nick T. on a car he put it on running a GT30 if I remember correctly. 20% torque increase, 5hp loss at the top end.

Truthfully, in an auto due to torque sapping, it makes the car a lot more streetable and I've not noticed much fall-off top end wise...

in the past few weeks my car went from MBC+A and various stupid things (3" airbox, etc) to a td04 swap with an NA manifold. The difference is immense; The turbo gave me much better high end and then the manifold brought some of that power back down in the revs. About a week between the two mods, so the differences were individually felt after adaption.

It freekin' zooms.

-BNY

(Prior to td04 and NA intake manifold, I dyno'd at 185.5WHP and 205 ft-lb. Any guesses now?)
Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Is this a relatively straight forward swap? When do you notice the most improvement daily driving or racing?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jenkins View Post
Is this a relatively straight forward swap? When do you notice the most improvement daily driving or racing?
Verymuch straight forward w/ a few 'why did they run the wires that way' questions. Buy a new gasket; I didn't, it's now in my back seat. We'll see how long permatex lasts. I'm guessing a week.

Different coolant temp sensor connection but same threads; swap it over to the 'new' manifold.

Daily driving instant notice. Torque for miles in comparison, esp in this car as it's an auto. Gas milage on 'normal' driving seems to have went up a hair, but I've been uh, testing it, a lot -- A td04 and now this intake allows my 2.0 to eat massive amounts of fuel if you're on it.

Brake booster activity seems strange after swap; 30secs - 1min until full vaccum assist? Line is threaded on tight, but it screws directly into the intake manifold. Something in the change makes for this lag. It's annoying, but hardly unsafe. Drive aware and/or idle car ahead of time. Strange side effect on my car.

Like I said, I don't know of any 'downsides' as far as engine goes pop. They obviously didn't do this for a reason on the turbos; One day I'll find out why. Since it's not too terribly common, or so it seems, it's kind of testing grounds.

I view it as very positive for my car.

-Bny
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I vote NA cam swap next!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Looks like I will be ordering some gaskets. Thanks for the info, it was most helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in