Jak Stoll wins SOC dyno hp contest. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Jak Stoll wins SOC dyno hp contest.

I was glad to see Jak's luck finally changed and after the last two dissapointing showings at the car shows, Jak put down a very respectable 397whp and 407wtrq or something very close to that. He could have pushed it more, but there were not many other cars to challenge his monster, so he left well enough alone.

I guess Ed's car had some tranny issues and Dave-ship did not want to dyno and Nick T. had nothing special to offer this year, so not much competition so to speak, but that is all well and good and I am sure Jak is happy to put down some nice numbers and have some fun with it. He said it was nice not get too over-worked by the whole event this year and had much more fun than previous years.

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

yea.... none of the big hp cars were on the rollers & only 11 people payed in advance!!!

I barely took 2nd in my SPG, I think by 6 HP or something like that. I keep my boost down due to the crappy C900 trannies.

I actually didn't expect to be in the top 10.

I feel the dyno challenge needs to be a little cheaper like $50 for the 3 pulls. This SOC $175 got us 110 minutes at a roadcoarse while $75 gets us 15 minutes on a dyno..... It needs to be cheaper otherwise people will not use it, kinda like this year!

On a side note, a bone stock viggen vert did 224 whp & 298 wtq

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
Yes, and he could drive it too! Passed me at the track day with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
TSLMember

Someone needs to explain what SOC is for us newbs.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABARU View Post
Saab Owners Convention.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABARU View Post

You can not has oysterz.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Elder

They didn't have any good oysterz at SOC.

Those are some great numbers. What tune was he running?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Editor
Elder

John, how did we not meet?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
That viggen is a freak, my car only put down 235whp and 240 wtq on a dyno. Where the hell did 298 wtq come from.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Yes, and he could drive it too! Passed me at the track day with no problems.
A bunch of people passed you.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #11

Q: How many people on the dyno used nitrous?

A: One.

Fail.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
Thats awesome!

I hear Jak wanted to prove to some saab exec's what these old engines can put up with so Im glad he finally had a solid dyno run. Hopefully they will take more notice to the enthusiast crowd.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 08-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
gm

not sure why using NOS would make someone.... fail?

I personally would not use NOS on a car but it did what he wanted it to do, post some big numbers enough to easily win the challenge. However I would bet he could of simply added more boost & beat those numbers w/o the nos!

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 08-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
not sure why using NOS would make someone.... fail?

I personally would not use NOS on a car but it did what he wanted it to do, post some big numbers enough to easily win the challenge. However I would bet he could of simply added more boost & beat those numbers w/o the nos!
Using NO2 is like using a roofie to get laid.

It's effective, but it's still wrong....

If he could have done it all turbo, he would have....
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
sab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Q: How many people on the dyno used nitrous?
A: One.
Fail.
At least he was doing something different and trying somethign else in his car. Give him a break dude and lets not start a tuner wars thread again.

This Saab community is small enough to start with without dividing it further. I get so sick of all this bickering on all the forums. Play nice dudes and lets support each and every Saab driver... don't be so ignorant all the time.

just my opinions!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SPG View Post
Thats awesome!

I hear Jak wanted to prove to some saab exec's what these old engines can put up with so Im glad he finally had a solid dyno run. Hopefully they will take more notice to the enthusiast crowd.
Umm, yeah. He keeps posting nonsense like that over on Saabnet. So Jak is going to prove something to General Motors. Doesn't that strike you as a bit, umm, absurd?

Doesn't Jak think that General Motors knows about the engines that they used to produce? Does he really not realize that the team of powertrain engineers made changes to the original design for multitudes of reasons? Does he not realize that General Motors already knows exactly what it takes to make big HP from a turbo/super charged 4-cylinder engine (like 3 times more than he's making, try 1200 HP)?

What is Jak going to prove to GM exactly? I bet now that he's made 400 WHP on an old Saab Steve Shannon is going to call up the team of trained design engineers, a group of some of the most talented guys in the industry, and tell them that they have it all wrong, and that all the new designs from SOC 2007 onward have to revert back to the old B234R design.

Ha ha, yeah, he really showed 'em thing or two...

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 08-26-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #17
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Umm, yeah. He keeps posting nonsense like that over on Saabnet. So Jak is going to prove something to General Motors. Doesn't that strike you as a bit, umm, absurd?

Doesn't Jak think that General Motors knows about the engines that they used to produce? Does he really not realize that the team of powertrain engineers made changes to the original design for multitudes of reasons? Does he not realize that General Motors already knows exactly what it takes to make big HP from a turbo/super charged 4-cylinder engine (like 3 times more than he's making, try 1200 HP)?

What is Jak going to prove to GM exactly? I bet now that he's made 400 WHP on an old Saab Steve Shannon is going to call up the team of trained design engineers, a group of some of the most talented guys in the industry, and tell them that they have it all wrong, and that all the new designs from SOC 2007 onward have to revert back to the old B234R design.

Ha ha, yeah, he really showed 'em thing or two...
Well, props to jak for the run, but this nonsense about teaching the gm people a lesson? I'm going to have to agree with drew here, gm has engineers on the cutting edge of the field...

And I agree that proving that nitrous can be handled by an old saab is sweet (there's a guy on SC in england that haqd a nitrous fed n/a c900 which is sweet), but it's still a bit like using a game genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #18

DItto...

The newer Ecotecs can produce 1,000+ HP using the stock block and a whole lot of shiny bits, which is why GM put its engineering resources behind it, and not some strong but outdated mill.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
geeze you guys are harsh...

Personally the "award" of highest HP means jack shit to me. I just think its cool that Jak has the balls to run nitrous on a car he's relying on to make it home. I dont think this is going to make GM run out and fire their engine designers, we all know they make some pretty serious engines. I just think that Saab is definitely an underdog in GM's eyes and this little display of power is kinda cool, even if it just shows them that Saab owners would enjoy a little more power than what the current 9-3's offer. Sorry for enjoying a fellow Saaber having fun with his ride.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr56
if no one else got up there and dyno'd their car, with our without nitrous to beat his numbers this past weekend, then congrats to him.

To bad mouth a tuner for using n2o is pretty lame.....my 2cents. Majority high hp cars spray, power is power, doesnt matter how you get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in