Clutch slipping - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
Clutch slipping

never had this happen and since hadn't had a problem but my clutch slipped when i floored it in 3rd. i was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and when i hit 3rd it was about were all my torque is around 3k and then the rpms just started rising and the car was going any where. i'm thinking it might be time for a new clutch. any ideas if i should get one and what kind?

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Elder

Moose, what are you driving now (vig?) and what do you have for power upgrades?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
JK
Elder

SPEC stage 2 or 3 - full kit. Its a good deal, and there aren't many other options anyway.

You could do the viggen PP/Disc, but if you ever plan on having more power then you just wasted all the time/money on a clutch that won't hold as well as the SPEC. I am still kicking myself for wasting $300 on a stock 9000T clutch that I overpowered within a year.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Actually the spec/Vig combo drives much nicer.. Yes i drive both of these setups all the time. I have the spec3 and Vig pp in the nira car with 340whp (~400crank) it holds solid.. Drives so much better than the full spec stg3 in my Viggen.. I hate it thats why I wont sell them But the full spec kit costs so much more.. Thats a plus right.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/faq/?t=sq&uin=10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I have no problems driving mine with the spec stage 3 clutch. just have to understand that it is very sensitive, and not having a light touch will cause quite a shock Some people who were not used to it call it a "light switch clutch". it's not, and you can get used to it and drive it in heavy traffic - no problem.

"the average driver" who is not used to a clutch like a spec stage 3 clutch would have quite a time getting used to it, but it's really no big deal. just takes some explanation before it's driven by someone who does not know what to expect.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
JK
Elder

Yeah, the stage two is a bit grabby when it engadges, but it took me about 2 starts to get used to it. I drive in plenty of stop and go traffic and I've never had a problem with that aspect of it. The stage two disk is kevlar...in case anyone didn't know.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

it official my clutch can't handle the power anymore. i was driving last fri., temp. was in the 30's so plenty of extra boost, i saw an 06' 9-3 aero roll up to me at the lights both took off when it turned green tire spin in 1st a usual hit 2nd and rpms shoot to 6k but umm not spinning tires oh shit its my clutch sliping let off the gas and floor again finaly catches. i kept up with the aero with sliping in 2nd and then when it caught i took off like a bastard. so i'm look at the whole upgrade now.

Stg. no go
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
a12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Yeah mine's slippin too only when it's really cold out.I have the viggen clutch which should be able to hold 330 ft. lbs., so I guess when it's cold I'm making a bit more than that.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

ill also join the clutch slipage club... nicks will be getting an order from me later in the month...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
I love my Spec stage 3, like everyone has said, it takes some getting used to and it is almost on/off, though its not difficult to drive in traffic. Plus, Ive won 3-4 30 racks betting "experienced" drivers that they cant pull out of my driveway without stalling the Saab!

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well first off what amount of torque are you making. I was gonna go with the spec 2 but Nick told me based on the torque I had that the viggen pp/clutch combo was perfectly fine. He has the torque load for all sorts of combinations on his website. Go check it out and pick from there.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Well first off what amount of torque are you making. I was gonna go with the spec 2 but Nick told me based on the torque I had that the viggen pp/clutch combo was perfectly fine. He has the torque load for all sorts of combinations on his website. Go check it out and pick from there.
i made 261 tq with the wastegate all the way open my bad. know i fixed the wastegate and its 30 outside so i wonder how much i making now.

Stg. no go
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
What stage and what hardware

Here is Nicks table. As you'll see below the Viggen PP/Disc combo can hold 330 ftlbs of torque.

PP Disk Torque friction material
Viggen Viggen 450nm 330ft -organic
Viggen Spec3 600nm 442ft -carbon metallic
B204L Spec3 500nm 369ft -carbon metallic

Spec Stg1 460nm 340ft -special organic
Spec Stg2 525nm 390ft -Kevlar disk
Spec Stg3 660nm 489ft -carbon metallic

Sachs Race Engineering
SRE*747 Orig 330nm 243hp -Original disk
SRE*747 Organic 380nm 280ft -special organic disk
SRE*747 Sinter 420nm 310ft -metallic disk

Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #14

jsp stg. 3, GS intake, 3" jsp dp, 2.5 catback, ets IC, forge upgraded wastegate spring, forge BOV with 2nd to the most stiffest spring. still on the T25

Stg. no go
Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #15
Elder

Pretty much the same thing as me except the intercooler. Run with the Viggen PP and Viggen clutch disc as thats what Nick said would suit me best.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Pretty much the same thing as me except the intercooler. Run with the Viggen PP and Viggen clutch disc as thats what Nick said would suit me best.
you should get that IC it makes a huge difference i don't know if i have an aggresive tune but i was getting heat soak like there was no tomorrow with the viggen IC.

Stg. no go
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #17
Elder

The way I see it, if your planning on going bigger, why not do a clutch disck/pp that will remain usable for future plans? If your happy where your at (who is?) then go with the Vig PP/clutch.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #18
Elder

Because until you go to a ball bearing setup 300+tq/hp the viggen combination is perfectly fine. If its gonna be some time before you go down the BB route then go viggen.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
The way I see it, if your planning on going bigger, why not do a clutch disck/pp that will remain usable for future plans? If your happy where your at (who is?) then go with the Vig PP/clutch.
oh when i get the new clutch set up i plan getting spec flywheel, stg 3 clutch and viggen p/p.

Stg. no go
Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Because until you go to a ball bearing setup 300+tq/hp the viggen combination is perfectly fine. If its gonna be some time before you go down the BB route then go viggen.
Adam (a12) is making the same power numbers I am, for all intents and purposes, and is having trouble with the Vig PP/Clutch - just some food for thought. Maybe he doesnt need it right now, but for the time and or money of the install (depending on if he does it himself) I just see it as a better investment to upgrade for future plans while you have the oppertunity, vs. when your in a situation that you HAVE to.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in