Nordic stg 3 from 94 900 in 99 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nordic stg 3 from 94 900 in 99 9-3

Would a nordic ecu from a 94 t work in a 99 lpt? How will it run w/o all the other stg 3 stuff; exhaust, airfilter, bigger intercooler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Being that they are both T5 ECU's in theory they should work. But I know there are 2 different T5's (5.2 and 5.5) and not sure if those are fully interchangeable.

Now onto running a Stage 3 without the rest of the mods.... not a real good idea. The ECU is tuned to run with a certain set of H/w mods to support the extra boost, fuel needs, etc.....

By not running the additional h/w you are basically forcing the car to try and run at a Stage 3 with stock h/w and that is a bad thing IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #3

I thought trionic had a large range of adaptation to mods. noric stg 3 only really requires the exhuast and I guess the air filter (intercooler recomended).

Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Elder

You could try it, and royally mess something up, or it will work fine.

My bet is that somethings will work, but most other stuff wont.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Skip the ecu, get the hardware you need, then get stage whatever your hardware allows.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]@ View Post
I thought trionic had a large range of adaptation to mods. noric stg 3 only really requires the exhuast and I guess the air filter (intercooler recomended).
A tune takes a good portion of trionic's flexibility away - it's already pushing the envelope. Running a tune that requires specific hardware without that hardware is begging for trouble. Do things the right way: start collecting hardware (you'll still get decent gains on stock software), and once you're at a comfortable place hardware-wise buy a tune specific for your hardware on your car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Elder

It's great to try new things, but you could possibly burn up your pistons and valves if you don't have the right hardware.

If you're dead-set on trying it, get yourself a wide band air/fuel setup and install an EGT setup in front of the turbo. Also, Vigge's tubing trick running through the firewall to listen for knock probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. That way you can try the software and know when to backoff. Get some instrumentation so you don't cause any expensive damage and give it a try!

Like Steve said too, there are different revisions of T-5 too, don't know if they're interchangeable.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Elder

If the stages didnt really rely on the hardware, there would only be 1 or 2 different tunes. But since they do, thats why there are at least 5 before you go custom tuning. I still suggest that you get the hardware first, theres no reason to try to push it.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
If you're dead-set on trying it, get yourself a wide band air/fuel setup and install an EGT setup in front of the turbo. Also, Vigge's tubing trick running through the firewall to listen for knock probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. That way you can try the software and know when to backoff. Get some instrumentation so you don't cause any expensive damage and give it a try!
Wideband A/F gauge with the o2 sensor is what atleast $200? EGT is another $150ish including the probe? There is atleast the money for the DP with a cat right there...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
Wideband A/F gauge with the o2 sensor is what atleast $200? EGT is another $150ish including the probe? There is atleast the money for the DP with a cat right there...
Well sure, but a downpipe and cat won't tell you your EGT and WB AFR.

edit: It's not unheard-of that a mailbox tune blows an engine, especially one made for a different variation of hardware.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 08-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
The 1994 would be an OBD-I while 1999 is OBD-II. The 1994 ECU won't know anything about your rear o2 sensor, evap canister pressure sensor and other emission related stuff. It might work though.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #12

Sounds like it isn't a good idea to try it on th 9-3. My friend and I just wanted to test it on his 9-3 w/o swapping all the hardware over.

I got the 94 for parts. The plan is to swap the engine, trans, and all perf. goodies over to a 96 auto or a 98 auto. What kind of issues would there be with this? ...tranny, obd-I vs II, instrument gauges etc
Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
you can't install the ECU from a 94 into a post 94. the 94 (motronic) won't work in an obd II car. I had a 94 ECU at my disposal and I called Nick T wondering if I could use that as my ECU core for the tune and then have my OEM one around if I wanted to revert back to stock for any reason. He said they aren't interchangable.

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
sry to thread jack. but will a 96 ecu work in a 9-3
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I believe as long as you have an OBD 2 ecu then you can pop that into a 99 9-3 t5 car. Only thing I don't know about though is the TWICE and whether or not that will give you some headaches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in