Koni Kit install question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Koni Kit install question

For the Koni Kit install on an NG900, do you reuse the Saab strut bump stop or not use one at all?

Dip's site said he didn't use one, but otherwise I won't have a dust shield. His Bilsteins came with a dust shield and said it was by design not to have a bump stop.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Call Nick and he'll be able to answer that for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
With the 9-3 I used the bump stop....I just trimmed about 3/4" -1" off it.

My dust boots weren't integrated into the bump stop....the dust boot was part of the upper spring seat. The bump stop was a urethane donut-like thing that sat around the damper slider (inside the dust boot, but not attached to it in any way.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the opinions. I called GenSaab and they said leave it on.

New issue. I turn around and start on the left side. I get everything pulled apart within probably a half hour except the ABS sensor is stuck and the bolts rounded. So, I figure, I can just pull down the shock assembly and change everything out. I got the dude down, the spring compressed, and behold, I spend an hour or more trying to get the old strut out. I can't get the nut to even budge. I used a couple pair of vice grips even. I could maybe use some heat, but I don't have access to it and I can't get the ABS sensor off to take it to a mech.

I PB Blasted multiple things multiple times.

So, I turn my attention to the rear of the car. I was able to get the struts/springs replaced, but when I tried to put on the ARB from GenSaab, all four bolt heads break.

I might end up going to the stealership to see if they will mess with it. Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I used a 2 ft pipe wrench to loosen the strut nut. Even then it was tough. If your install is the same as my 9-3 your not going to use the nut over. Rust buster and time is your friend.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #6

Yeah, these things are stuck on pretty flippin tight! My biggest issue is keeping the strut from turning. I tried to brace it with [large] vice grips and smaller ones. They all just slide off. I even vice gripped the vice grips to get them as tight as possible. The PB Blaster has been going on all day.

The strut is a KYB and the Koni does use a different nut.

I'll try it again in the morning. I might bust out a drill and stick a screwdriver in it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #7

I don't know if they'll fit, but I did save the nuts from mine. PM me if you need them.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 AM   #8

The Koni's came with some new ones, so I don't care if I destroy the old KYBs. I just want them off! Thanks though
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Locktite Red on those strut nuts!!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #10

Oh poop... I've already got all of them in except the driver front. Hope I don't have a spring pop through the hood...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
No spring through the hood but on my passenger side the nut came loose on me for some reason. I backed it off and doused it with loctite red and snugged it back down again and all is well!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #12

I made a tool to properly tighten those goofy nuts.
They shouldn't come loose.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #13

Very nice use of engenuity!

I ended up going to the dealer because I will had to fuss with getting the rusted bolts (without heads on them) off and the ARB from GS installed. And, that 19mm nut on top of the strut...just couldn't budge it. So, 4 hours later and a $270 bill I was good to go.

It rides like a completely new car. Definitely feels as it always should have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in