18T question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
18T question

So my friend just offered me his mitsubishi 18T which is brand new never used, for free ( i helped him with his car and hooked him up with some paint) and he wrecked the car it was going in.

Now im curious what my options are, I had wanted to go to a larger turbo GT28/GT30 but this landing in my lap like this is kinda nice.

I have the TDO4 15T with 6cm exhaust side. Could I open my 6cm port into say a 7 or 8 cm instead? Take advantage of the larger compressor wheel. Looking at the compressor maps for the 18T its not much more impressive than the 15t (due to the 6cm im sure).

Or should I just sell this 18T and save up for a better spooling GT series. So basically is it economical to play around with this 18T sicne I'm getting it for free.

Thanks!

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
get it and sell it to me i'd buy it i too am looking to go with a gt 30 or gt35 havnt decided yet tho it would be a little better than the 15t i have until i get the gt...
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #3

Free is free....

You have a turbo with very close to the output of a $1,000 GT28, so you're way ahead of the game. You can use the money you saved and concentrate on breathing mods -- especially a big IC.

The main issue with the 18T is the high EGTs because the exhaust side can't flow enough to match the compressor. Lowering the intake temps will lower combustion temps which should keep EGTs within range....

Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #4

Mike....are you saying methanol

But would it be possible to machine out the 6cm exhaust side? I still need to find out the exact specs on this 18T, im picking it up tomorrow. Soon I'll know if it would be worthwile to play around with it or just sell it.

Oh and whats a good recommended injector...green giants?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeyousaab View Post
Oh and whats a good recommended injector...green giants?
This is a question for your tuner.

Jak likes 50pounders and the Green's are only 40 iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #6

Mike,
I do have the MP intercooler and im pretty sure an 18T would be well within the range of the MP's ability to flow/cool.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
You should be okay with the 18t if you make sure to bore out the housing enough.

Green Giants will work, I think they are 42lb. But there are also the decas that flow more for about the same price.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
Green Giants will work, I think they are 42lb. But there are also the decas that flow more for about the same price.
Agreed, although I think the greens are 46#. Paul told me back in April that if I ever decided to go with an 18t to just go right to the Dekas as well.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
lms

You can not go from a 6cm to 7 by boring.
Get seimens 60 lb injectors.
I went to the 18t-6 with a bored wastegate and I now wish I would have gone bigger. But with the injectors and the custom tune I have now, the car is very strong and never pulls boost. But that was before I moved to chi-town, and that was with 91 octane. Now that the car gets 93, it friggen runs even better, but it gets damn hot here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in