Smbc - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Elder

Smbc

Can someone help me find a SMBC for my car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
http://smartperformance.net/
there you go
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Elder

Why thank you!
<3

^ jk

Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Elder

How many more hp does it give into first and second gear? how much faster is the spool up?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
SEARCH:

https://www.saablink.net/forum/search...earchid=468247
Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Elder

What is the fuel cutoff for a T7 9-3SE
Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Dude.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Search.
*fixed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Elder

Cant find. Too lazy. Im on it.
sorry
Old 07-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Elder

I cant find it anywhere???
Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Elder

*sigh*

On Trionic 5, the fuel cut was at 15.5psi as I recall.

With T7, it's a bit more adaptive. There's not a set figure. But it shouldn't really matter; you can't adjust peak boost with a SMBC.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Elder

Got this from saabnet.

The incredible power output of the Viggen's engine is primarily attributable to the larger turbocharger, which produces maximum boost pressure of 1.4 bar, or a full 20 psi, and is assisted by less restrictive air intake pipes and a performance exhaust system. Although only 15-16 psi of boost pressure may be required to achieve maximum power and torque at or near sea level, Saab's Trionic 7 engine management system allows the turbo to produce up to 20 psi at higher altitudes to compensate for less dense air. The result is maximum power is available at altitudes approaching 10,000 feet.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Got this from saabnet.

The incredible power output of the Viggen's engine is primarily attributable to the larger turbocharger, which produces maximum boost pressure of 1.4 bar, or a full 20 psi, and is assisted by less restrictive air intake pipes and a performance exhaust system. Although only 15-16 psi of boost pressure may be required to achieve maximum power and torque at or near sea level, Saab's Trionic 7 engine management system allows the turbo to produce up to 20 psi at higher altitudes to compensate for less dense air. The result is maximum power is available at altitudes approaching 10,000 feet.
Yes. That doesn't have anything to do with a SMBC.

Anyhoo, here's a thread with some good reading in it for ya:
https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13780

Let me chime in and say that I would recommend against using an SMBC. Boost is limited by the ECU in first and second to help prevent spinning tires and to prolong the life of your transmission, among other things. And as STX says in that thread I linked, T7 is crazy smart and crazy adaptive and crazy safe. Why screw with it using hacks?

I've also seen SMBCs on T7 lead to the engine running lean (since you'll make more boost in first and second without the ECU adding fuel to compensate), which can lead to melting pistons. Is the extra maybe 5hp in first and second really worth running that risk? I don't think so.

Just hold out for a tune. It'll let you make more boost without putting your engine in harm's way.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Yes. That doesn't have anything to do with a SMBC.
Let me chime in and say that I would recommend against using an SMBC. Boost is limited by the ECU in first and second to help prevent spinning tires and to prolong the life of your transmission, among other things. And as STX says in that thread I linked, T7 is crazy smart and crazy adaptive and crazy safe. Why screw with it using hacks?

I've also seen SMBCs on T7 lead to the engine running lean (since you'll make more boost in first and second without the ECU adding fuel to compensate), which can lead to melting pistons. Is the extra maybe 5hp in first and second really worth running that risk? I don't think so.
Can you show me a thread that posted a T7 running lean by using a SMBC? or melting a piston due to it?
I can show you a stock viggen thread , no mods blowing pistons...
An an ECU tune doesn't increase boost in 1st and second? not higher than a mildly set SMBC? You must be on crack. ECU tunes are typicaly running 10-15 psi in second. That is way higher than any SMBC can give you in those gears so that would not be a suitable arguement.
And a SMBC and an ECU are NOT in the same league nor do they compete for business. SMBC's are enough for some. Those who like the stock HP but want to bring the turbo on quicker. ECU's(and your $1200) are for big power. Do not lump SMBC's into the ECU category and try to compare them.
It's almost like saying...don't modify your saab. Save your money and buy a porsche. Silly.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
I would have to say that over the 3 years I have run a SMBC my pistons have never melted and I run my car very hard.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

I was running an SMBC, and had a bad MAF that gave me a lean reading on the dyno...

The lean condition and the SMBC are un-related.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i run an MBC every day,, on my di/apc car, never had any issues, i just always pump premium, and watch the air/fuel guage,, which never goes anywhere towerds lean,,
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
Elder

Thanks guys, I will buy one this weekend!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Thanks guys, I will buy one this weekend!!!
Why wait 'til the weekend?

Buy it today, get it by this weekend
Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
Elder

Paycheck....
Also a long story, it will be installed in the weekend after next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in