New Intercooler... Good Deal??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Elder

New Intercooler... Good Deal???

So i am looking at having a new intercooler custom built and placed in my car to upgrade the baby one that is in there. The guy doing says it will cost $500 and he will redo the all the piping involved with the IC and the Air Intake. He will redo the air intake so that it is down behind the right fog light and is a straight shot to the engine. Is this worth $500? that includes all parts and labor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Yea, that sounds like a great deal considering he will do all the plumbing and labor FOR you.

See how big he can make the IC.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
That sounds like a good deal.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
That sounds like a sweet deal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Elder

i think it will be a 12x24x4
it looked enormous when he showed it to me. esp compared to the baby one in there already. also the airflow through it will make more sense and be smoother. i hope it adds some good power to the tally...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Elder

There is the MPPerformance IC I just bought online, which was on sale for $299 and $50 shipping. This would be an upgrade for base 9-3 and Viggens, and is a direct fit with stock piping.

Is there a sweet spot for IC size? I am/was under the impression that if you get an IC too large it will hamper air flow if you don't have a large enough turbo? I could be wrong.

Otherwise $500 for a custom job including air intake rerouting sounds like a killer deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Unless you are at the limits of your current IC you are not going to see much in the the ways of power gains. It will however, make your current power smoother and a bit more consistent.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

4 inches? Will it fit or will he have to cut the bumper and move items?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Sure sounds like a good deal to me, esp if it includes fabbing all that other stuff!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Unless you are at the limits of your current IC you are not going to see much in the the ways of power gains. It will however, make your current power smoother and a bit more consistent.
Right, which is what I am looking for. But is there a point where the IC gets too large? Size matters.... right? (Put that one on the T-ball stand for you guys to knock outa the park)

Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Elder

it will fit. i meant it is 9x24x4. it will fit exactly. which is pretty sweet. and honestly i don't think anything can hamper airflow more than the stock intercooler...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
JZW
Elder

I personally don't think you can get one on a saab 9-3 or ng900 that is too big for our applications, but opinions do vary. Without removing the ac or cutting into the bumper, 23.5" long by 8" high by 3.5" thick is the largest you can get to fit. This was the size ets and I came up with for my ng900.

Its plug and play for the most part with some slight trimming needed on the plastic inlet holes.

If you don't have ac or want to notch your inner crash bar, you might be able to get a 4" thick one in there. It will be more volume to fill, but this will also help to smooth the power out and make it much more consistant. That is always good for our trannies...

The nice thing with a larger ic on our cars is even if there is a slight change in torque and time to fill the extra volume, its well worth it in my opinion because it will support whatever tune and turbo you decide to put on the car in the future. Having the lower intake air temp is always a good thing!

Good Luck,

John
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
Elder

thanks all...
so here is my timeline or order of upgrades tell me if it sounds off in any way...

IC
downpipe
turbo to cat exhaust (i already have cat back saab sport)
ecu or mbc or somtehing
bigger turbo

that sound about right? anything i am missing that i may need?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
God thats an amazingly good deal. Intercooler, Intake, all the piping, all the labor for a total of 500 dollars. Keep pushing that guy whatever he is drinking and see if he gives you an even better price lol.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
thanks all...
so here is my timeline or order of upgrades tell me if it sounds off in any way...

IC
downpipe
turbo to cat exhaust (i already have cat back saab sport)
ecu or mbc or somtehing
bigger turbo

that sound about right? anything i am missing that i may need?
Change of pants .

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Change of pants .
WELL YEAH.... a tally with all those happy parts... makes nice noise that makes pants dirty...
lol
Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #17
Elder

I want the wheels off your talledega man. I love the look of aero's on the ng900/og9-3. Until I had seen your car I had no idea there was a 5 bolt version of the 9000 aero rims.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Elder

ummm... let me think... NO!.. lol
unless you want to pay quite a lot for them...make an offer...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
Elder

Sorry can't do that lol. Working on 300hp/300tq right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in