A/C Delete - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Elder

A/C Delete

Tired of chasing down problems with my compressor, so I'm just gonna pull the shit and run a short belt.

What parts do I need and what else needs to be considered?

Gotta run to work - have some good answers for me in 5 hours or so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
splice, before you run and pull it all.

there are TONS of things that can cause the compressor not to kick on.
like for example, the a/c fan on my radiator seized up the other day. blew a fuse, and now the compressor wont kick on. EVERYTHING has to be perfect for it to work. a/c systems can be very fussy.

but if you can live without a/c, and dont want to track it down anymore, ditch it!

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I wonder how much all of the AC stuff weighs?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k193turbo View Post
Not much.

My guess is less than 15-20lbs when its all said and done.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k193turbo View Post
my guess is closer to 30
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
splice, before you run and pull it all.

there are TONS of things that can cause the compressor not to kick on.
like for example, the a/c fan on my radiator seized up the other day. blew a fuse, and now the compressor wont kick on. EVERYTHING has to be perfect for it to work. a/c systems can be very fussy.

but if you can live without a/c, and dont want to track it down anymore, ditch it!
Aye, my buddy and I over at Meineke ran over pretty much everything that could cause an A/C system to not work. Spent about four hours dicking with it today with still no luck. Not to mention that I'm currently in the hottest part of AL's summer and I'm still alive - so I think I can adjust to it.

The weight isn't as big an issue to me as is the reduced drag (for lack of a better word) on the serp belt - plus removing the condenser would give me plenty of room for a nice ballin FMIC.

So does anyone have any input as to HOW to actually go about doing this?

Thanks.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 AM   #7

I haven't done it on a Saab but I've done it on other cars and it's pretty easy.

Dump the freon (in a legal manner of coarse), remove the compressor, condenser and lines, install the short belt and put whatever you had to take apart back together.

Try to keep the AC components in decent shape so that you can put them back in if needed (if you care about resale value).

Between the lighter weight and less parasitic drag I bet you'll feel the difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Code, you're gonna be blown away at how much more room by your IC you will have without the condensor. I have all mine removed except the compressor.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Elder

Awesome, I'll probably do this not next week but the week after. Keep any tips and info coming my way

And Mark.... I love the sig. "Modded". lol

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Editor
Elder

I think that it won't be much of a performance modification, more like weight reduction. The pulley on the compressor doesn't put a huge load on it, not anywhere near as much as you'd think.

John, do research on belts. If you want a short belt, I've got one, and I'm almost positive it's for a 9-3. The number is : 6PK 2345. Please see this thread for information:

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19165

PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmaster View Post
my guess is closer to 30
I had to hold this thing 6 ft. in the air when my car was on the lift, trying to get the engine bolted back in... after 10 - 15 seconds it becomes pretty damn heavy.

John, are you planning on getting rid of the condenser AND the compressor? That would be a decent chunk of mass! Doubt you'd notice it, though.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
Elder

Awesome Thom, thanks. I'll probably take you up on the offer as it gets closer to time to do this.

Yeah, I'll be removing both condenser and compressor

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unkept View Post
I think that it won't be much of a performance modification, more like weight reduction. The pulley on the compressor doesn't put a huge load on it, not anywhere near as much as you'd think.
Yeah, unless the compressor is under load there isn't much drag, but it all adds up.

I think the (very general) rule of thumb is 100lbs/10hp = 1/10th of a second in the 1/4 mile.

You might gain close to a 1/10th in the 1/4 by dumping your AC.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I removed the condenser per Mark's advice, much better flow to the IC.

As for the belt, as long as you still have your stock pulleys intact this one will work.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...highlight=belt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I removed the condenser per Mark's advice, much better flow to the IC.

As for the belt, as long as you still have your stock pulleys intact this one will work.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...highlight=belt
Cool, thanks. I'm assuming that belt will also still work even if I do remove the compressor, yes? Good.

Thanks all for the input. I'm feeling much better about this project now

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Delete the compressor!!!! its the best mod EVAR

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
Delete the compressor!!!! its the best mod EVAR

Wrong. Installing a PA is the best mod ever.

Ask Thom.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Wrong. Installing a PA is the best mod ever.

Ask Thom.
I've got a PA. It's called not having a roof and yelling at people.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
Elder

Omg Too Off Topic Quick Lets Edit All The Postes

Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
Omg Too Off Topic Quick Lets Edit All The Posts
*fixed

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in