Aftermarket sway bar - Not sway bar at all - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Aftermarket sway bar - Not sway bar at all

Ok well I got my sway bar in the mail today and went ahead and installed it. I wish I had looked at the rear suspension before ordering one. Because on a NG900 The sway bar is not hooked into the chassis. Which makes it completly pointless.

I dont know where everyone is getting this "Get a sway bar they make the car handle on rails" It virtually changes nothing. If anything its a rear axle stiffener. Does not affect roll in any way. Well there goes my money.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

I like the improvement on my car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I dont see how it can improve anything on a car if its not connected to the chassis.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Elder

It keeps the tires from travelling farther apart from each other than it would without it (think in corners when the car leans one way), and this in the end reduces body roll and keeps the car much more level, giving you more traction at the front tires.

Maybe you aren't driving it hard enough, grandma.

I noticed a difference on the 1997 NG 900 that I had a while back when I installed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Im not saying I went out and drove it hard around corners. I have barely taken it for a drive down my street. Just from the looks of it it seems like it can do very litt.e I got the "Race only" one and from weaving I noticed very little difference.

And would the huge solid rear end not do the same thing?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
So basically, you decided this before any type of meaningful test drive.

Therefore you have no basis for any sort of opinion.

Go do a "real" test drive, and come back.

The legions of happy owners cannot be wrong.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
the sway bar keeps the rear axle from flexing, and in doing so, particularly with the "race only," will nearly eliminate that flex. Go into an open parking lot and start throwing the car around, you'll notice the difference

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
So basically, you decided this before any type of meaningful test drive.

Therefore you have no basis for any sort of opinion.

Go do a "real" test drive, and come back.

The legions of happy owners cannot be wrong.
+1.

Give it a try before you let your superior automotive knowledge get in the way of proven experiences of hundreds of satisfied owners.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

basically what everyone is telling you is the sway bar keeps your saab from doing this.....

which pretty much nails it on the head. I dont really post much on here but I saw your rediculous statement and just had to rebut.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Elder

^^ lol

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

and on your good ole Jeep, the sway bars are linked to the chassis.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
cool, now go drive your Saab, and if you don't like your new part send it to me

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostycrowd View Post
and on your good ole Jeep, the sway bars are linked to the chassis.
What's your hangup? The sway bar doesn't need to be hooked to the chassis to work as intended.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A sway bar (also stabilizer bar, anti-sway bar, roll bar, or anti-roll bar, ARB) is an automobile suspension device. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring. A sway bar increases the suspension's roll stiffness -- its resistance to roll in turns, independent of its spring rate in the vertical direction.
It works to connect the rear tires together, not allowing them to roll the car. The thicker sway bar does this. The chassis has nothing to do with it. You are the only person to ever not notice the difference. Go and test drive, then complain after.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Adding the 22mm RARB made quite a difference on my car! I know several others who have said the same. It's not like the part will change your life but it will change the handling characteristics of your car.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Elder

The difference is significant. Slap some wide, sticky tires on there and go find some onramps at 60 mph.

Then come back and tell us!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
Elder

I have the 22mm bar and I have to say I was disappointed. I'm not a racecar driver for sure, but when you take it to the limit the car still understeers like a pig. You have to be doing something really ridiculous to get even a hint of oversteer out of it. Neutral drift? Bah forget about it.

If I were going to do it over again I'd probably save my money.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably try things with a few psi less in the rears and see what that feels like.

edit: Frosty, what psi are you running front/back, and what are the condition of your tires?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #17
Elder

Drew the rate at which you let off the throttle will also help the car rotate. In autox situations, I let HARD off of the throttle, punch the brake real quick and turn...this allows the car to step out and rotate.

It's not easy to do.

But fun...
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I have the 22mm bar and I have to say I was disappointed. I'm not a racecar driver for sure, but when you take it to the limit the car still understeers like a pig. You have to be doing something really ridiculous to get even a hint of oversteer out of it. Neutral drift? Bah forget about it.
Welcome to driving a front wheel drive car. Understeer is part of it. And you dont have to be doing something too ridiculous to get oversteer, try a Scandinavian whip, even if you do it by accident, its not ridiculous, but will certainly induce your beloved oversteer. Then try the same with a 9-3 without a rear sway bar. You WILL feel the difference. On ramps are noticably better, with much less rear end "flop" so to speak.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
try a Scandinavian whip, even if you do it by accident, its not ridiculous, but will certainly induce your beloved oversteer.
What is this?

just to show I tried:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Scand...ient=firefox-a
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Its actually called the Scandinavian Flick..

http://www.tcsracing.org/scandinavianflick.htm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66053826889673
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in