Unhappy Viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Unhappy Viggen

I have been trying to get the car running 100%

For months the car ran rich, strong but rich and sometimes inconsistant boost. I know the air filter could use a charge. A smoke test might be helpful.

Anyway I called Nick and he said the .85 gap on my plugs wasnt right and to gap them to 1.0. So I put in fresh plugs gapped to 1.0.

Car felt good then blew the BPV off in 2nd gear. I played with that and got it snug.

Since then the car has had a horrible misfire/hesitation in wot 3-5th gear. I am not getting a CEL. I am not sure what detination feels like or if its only something you hear maybe thats it. But its BAD, it feels like a missfire to me.

I am thinking its the DI. Perhaps the new plugs with correct gap showed anything that was failing in the DI more so.

I wish I had a CEL. Can a DI cause a missfire without throwing a CEL? I wish I had a tech 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I bet its the original pistons. Do a compression test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
I have been trying to get the car running 100%

For months the car ran rich, strong but rich and sometimes inconsistant boost. I know the air filter could use a charge. A smoke test might be helpful.

Anyway I called Nick and he said the .85 gap on my plugs wasnt right and to gap them to 1.0. So I put in fresh plugs gapped to 1.0.

Car felt good then blew the BPV off in 2nd gear. I played with that and got it snug.

Since then the car has had a horrible misfire/hesitation in wot 3-5th gear. I am not getting a CEL. I am not sure what detination feels like or if its only something you hear maybe thats it. But its BAD, it feels like a missfire to me.

I am thinking its the DI. Perhaps the new plugs with correct gap showed anything that was failing in the DI more so.

I wish I had a CEL. Can a DI cause a missfire without throwing a CEL? I wish I had a tech 2
Yup. A CEL for misfire is only displayed after so many misfires in a row. Bitch ain't it. Find somebody to swap a DI with and see if its any better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I bet its the original pistons. Do a compression test.
Umm no.

Car ran fine, swapped the plugs went wot felt the missfire and backed off.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

if its a hesitation, I suggest turning to the TB. My wife's 2002 9-5 had a hesitation/surge problem that I finally narrowed down to the TB this weekend (as with you, no CELs).....i looked at the obvious stuff first as you are: spark plugs, DI, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Turns out one of the two TPS in the TB was on the fritz and was confusing the ECU as to where the throttle position actually was. I had an extra TB that I bought over 2 years ago off eBay for $65 knowing that I'd need one some day for my Viggen....sure enough, problem resolved....gotta love the eBay specials!! Once the old TB was off I ran thru the spec checks in the WIS with a multi-meter, I was able to pin point the issue to one of the TPS....gotta hand it to Saab for intergating a $50 sensor into a $400(new) TB and not allow you to just replace the sensor...great way to turn a profit.

Also, if you have a OBDII sensor monitor, monitor the throttle position and then watch it for when the car hestiates and you should see an erratic blip in the throttle position numbers....this is how I got myself pointed to the path of the TB

Finally, a consistant mis-fire will throw a CEL

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 07-17-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

A catalyst damaging misfire will flash the CEL, a non damaging misfire will set a code and turn on the CEL.

I'd be interested to see what your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) looks like. It's a value on any generic scan tool with data stream capabilities which denotes how much fuel the PCM is trying to put into or take out of the fuel calculation. LTFT is changed by the values of Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT) which are drawn from the 02 sensor readings. If you're consistently running rich, it sounds like a fuel calculation problem to me. Did you say that you put "universal" 02 sensors in the car in a previous thread?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I was using my spare DI for a while. I got the occasional missfire this spring.... then it went away. Then on some hot days last month the CEL would stay on after I started the car and threw a misfire code. I put back my original DI and all is fine so far.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
if its a hesitation, I suggest turning to the TB. My wife's 2002 9-5 had a hesitation/surge problem that I finally narrowed down to the TB this weekend (as with you, no CELs).....i looked at the obvious stuff first as you are: spark plugs, DI, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Turns out one of the two TPS in the TB was on the fritz and was confusing the ECU as to where the throttle position actually was. I had an extra TB that I bought over 2 years ago off eBay for $65 knowing that I'd need one some day for my Viggen....sure enough, problem resolved....gotta love the eBay specials!! Once the old TB was off I ran thru the spec checks in the WIS with a multi-meter, I was able to pin point the issue to one of the TPS....gotta hand it to Saab for intergating a $50 sensor into a $400(new) TB and not allow you to just replace the sensor...great way to turn a profit.

Also, if you have a OBDII sensor monitor, monitor the throttle position and then watch it for when the car hestiates and you should see an erratic blip in the throttle position numbers....this is how I got myself pointed to the path of the TB

Finally, a consistant mis-fire will throw a CEL

I thought about this too.

After calling Nick he thought it was a bad gas or DI issue.

I drove it again after he told me to reset the ecu. It almost does feel like a bad gas issue. The car behaves normal under partial load and part throttle. WOT sees a nice pegging of the boost and then this surging/bucking and I think I heard a backfire out of the exhaust pipe. The first time I hit 17lbs of boost and thought it felt almost like fuel cut. That leads me to believe it could be fuel. I can't find my spare DI since my father moved it.

But what you discribed with the TB could be as well since it happens under a specific amount of throttle(tps issue=tb issue from what you said).

But then again, this all started happening after I filled up with my current tank of gas.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvinr11 View Post
A catalyst damaging misfire will flash the CEL, a non damaging misfire will set a code and turn on the CEL.

I'd be interested to see what your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) looks like. It's a value on any generic scan tool with data stream capabilities which denotes how much fuel the PCM is trying to put into or take out of the fuel calculation. LTFT is changed by the values of Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT) which are drawn from the 02 sensor readings. If you're consistently running rich, it sounds like a fuel calculation problem to me. Did you say that you put "universal" 02 sensors in the car in a previous thread?
The running rich seemed to disappear with the new plugs. I would set the SID to instant and see nice numbers in the 30's again.

I do have universal 02's and it does worry me but I have had them for 25k miles with no probs.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
The running rich seemed to disappear with the new plugs. I would set the SID to instant and see nice numbers in the 30's again.

I do have universal 02's and it does worry me but I have had them for 25k miles with no probs.
The SID have instant display? I haven't been able to do that on my 9-3 like I could my 9000. All I can access is the average values and I have the SID 3.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Car felt good then blew the BPV off in 2nd gear. I played with that and got it snug.(
re-reading this, I'd check to make sure your BPV is still good after blowing it off.....it may not be holding under full boost and dumping the boost . Simple vaccum test is all thats needed.....if it doesn't hold vaccum, its bad

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 07-17-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
if the universal o2 sensor is soldered in correctly, it should not be a problem, but saabs for some reason are very picky about their rear o2 sensor signal. Personally, I'd replace the both of them with correct units and see how it responds. Tweek is not wrong about suggesting a compression test... it's a good thing to check and takes about 5 minutes. doubtful that the pistons are a problem, but something like a crack in one of them could potentially cause the problems you describe, and is about 10 times more likely on THAT car than it is on say... a C-900.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Elder

Do you have an up dated T-7 box?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
Do you have an up dated T-7 box?
Wouldn't that have been taken care of by his Nordic tune or was the update something else other than the maps in the software.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
Elder

I meant Nordic, When I put the Nordic box in my car I noticed a rich running condition under full throttle. It was explained to me that it was normal as they were using the extra fuel to cool the tops of the pistons. Mabey the wider gap is causing the missfire and you really don't have a problem at all? I know from experience that plug gap is very critical in DI cars and too wide of gap will cause early failures of the DI, such as letting the plug gap get too wide as the plugs wear.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
I meant Nordic, When I put the Nordic box in my car I noticed a rich running condition under full throttle. It was explained to me that it was normal as they were using the extra fuel to cool the tops of the pistons. Mabey the wider gap is causing the missfire and you really don't have a problem at all? I know from experience that plug gap is very critical in DI cars and too wide of gap will cause early failures of the DI, such as letting the plug gap get too wide as the plugs wear.
I have had a Nordic tune for 20k miles, the running rich has been recent.

The only change I made was the gap....then got a new tank of gas. Nick assures me the gap is correct. I went to pick up some parts at the dealer and the tech made a face when I told him the gap was 1.0, he thought that was huge.

Last edited by Jameson; 07-17-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
re-reading this, I'd check to make sure your BPV is still good after blowing it off.....it may not be holding under full boost and dumping the boost . Simple vaccum test is all thats needed.....if it doesn't hold vaccum, its bad
The BPV didnt blow all the way off, the hose backed itself off and created a vac leak. It was due to the blue silicone hose that came with my Cobra pipe being 1/2" too long. It forced the BPV to pull the delivery pipe nipple to the side. I took the hose off and trimmed it and now it sits better.

I really think this is something simple like bad gas, DI, or TB. I only changes are plug gap and gas. Perhaps the plug gap is now correct and showed the weakness in my current DI.

I have 180 miles on this tank but I worry that putting in some new gas wouldnt dilute bad gas enough and that I should burn up this tank first.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
The BPV didnt blow all the way off, the hose backed itself off and created a vac leak. It was due to the blue silicone hose that came with my Cobra pipe being 1/2" too long. It forced the BPV to pull the delivery pipe nipple to the side. I took the hose off and trimmed it and now it sits better.

I really think this is something simple like bad gas, DI, or TB. I only changes are plug gap and gas. Perhaps the plug gap is now correct and showed the weakness in my current DI.

I have 180 miles on this tank but I worry that putting in some new gas wouldnt dilute bad gas enough and that I should burn up this tank first.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supposed to run a somewhat smaller gap than the stock 1.0mm when you have more boost than stock with software seeing as it becomes increasingly difficult for the spark to jump as cylinder pressure increases. Therefor giving you a misfire under full boost. I'm not meaning to discredit Nick but I've seen that being said all over the place on TSN.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #19
Elder

I had .85 ever since I have been doing my own plugs. Nick told me to go with 1.0 instead.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
just to clarify, you are running a 1.0mm gap, not a .100 inch gap right? cause most gapping tools are primarily in inches, and that can lead to confusion, .100 is a big big gap. do you not have a spare DI that you could use to check it? seems like everyone should have a spare DI on hand at all times...

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in