Oil pressure gage may have saved my motor - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Oil pressure gage may have saved my motor

On the way home on Friday I noticed my oil pressure was a little low and I took it easy for the last 5 miles or so and got the car into the garage where I notice a steady drip of oil from around the oil filter. I jack up the car and see that my oil return line has split and is leaking oil.

I check my oil and its about half way on the dip-stick! Thank god for my new oil pressure gage, it definetely brought the oil leak problem to my attention before any real damage was done!

If that had happened on a long road trip or something with no oil pressure gage I would have surely burned my engine up!!! It has payed for itself and then some on that one!

This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the last year. First was one of the oil cooler lines started leaking from a pin-hole leak and now my oil return line from turbo split and spewed oil everywhere. Twice in a year!

I guess that shows that you can never be too carefull and to always keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels and your temp and pressure gages!

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Booh yah. Thats another reason for taking the time to install one people. Do and get it done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
TSLMember

while were on the subject what kind of oil pressure are you running on a hot day fully warm? like at a idle and at 2krpms.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I drop to 12 when its hot (above 70) out and I've been beating on it and see 30 psi at 2k crusing in fifth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
hmmm... ima def install one with the 5 other gauges i like...

but what are the idiot lights for? when do they actually come on?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Idiot lights come on usually when it's to late.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
Elder

I blew an oil line, and the light came on to tell me when i had about 1/2 the oil i should've, which was lost in about 15 seconds.

Last edited by Red DIC; 07-09-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Hmmmm, maybe I should look into this....
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
hmmmm....maybe I should get an Oil Pressure Gauge...I really don't need this to happen to me now.

edit : lol stromer, I thought your post was mine cause it was similar

Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Man another oil return line blown on another saab. I would have been saved had I had a gauge when i blew mine.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr56
my idiot light used to come on all the time while auto-x'ing my gs-r from the oil sloshing around. haha, havent had it happen with the slaab yet, but I think she holds a bit more oil, and i havent pushed it into the corners as hard yet.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
Man another oil return line blown on another saab. I would have been saved had I had a gauge when i blew mine.
Yea, the gage was a life savor. Stories like yours and Mike Saunders is what pushed me to do this gage. It really was not that bad and took maybe a little over an hour to install. I am so glad I did it now.

I have heard in many cases that by the time you see the idiot oil light come on, its too late and the bottom end is damaged. I know when it happens when you are running wot and a long pull, it will come on too late and people have stated they saw the light flicker right before the bottom end just seized up!

Long road trips would surely be safer with an oil pressure gage. If I had been on one I would have surely not known anything was wrong until it was too late.

John
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
Elder

Yea my light never came on, even after my motor seized.

John did you do a relocater with an oil line for your sensor?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
frigggggin crap...you guys are scaring the holy bazookas out of me

this is my first priority now

Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
Yea my light never came on, even after my motor seized.

John did you do a relocater with an oil line for your sensor?

No, I wend with an autometer with gage and electronic sending unit. The only thing that connects between the sending unit on back of block in stock location is the electrical wire to the gage. You do need the metric adaptor for it to fit correctly in the stock hole in the block.

John
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #16

Do you have instructions/ write up for this?

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #17

Which part # Autometer gauge did you go with?

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
No, I wend with an autometer with gage and electronic sending unit. The only thing that connects between the sending unit on back of block in stock location is the electrical wire to the gage. You do need the metric adaptor for it to fit correctly in the stock hole in the block.

John
We still dont know how you got around the dipstick tube, or is yours slightly relocated because of your 2.3 swap?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Add me to the list of victims due to oil loss too. I have one going in when I get back to NH.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
One of my friends tried to argue that the oil light is useless cause you already gone through your piston rings by then. I told him that, that is retarded cause then what would be the point of the light to tell you that your fucked.

I'm Not Poor Just A Saab Enthusiast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in