Standalone ECU? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Standalone ECU?

Standalone ECU is it possible on a 9-3 with t-5 i was reading some other threads
and they ended up on tuning trionic. Is it possibley to run a Standalone ECU that
you can tune with your laptop depending on your driving style that day. There has been lots of talk but has anyone actually done it??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
NIRA. Good luck getting it and setting it up. Its taken Kaylan quite a while to get it running. I don't know who you can buy it from in sweeden and have sent over the pond. Nick at GS has NIRA, saw it in the dyno day pick, but its not installed. To run it on a T5 car I do know that you need to run a T7 DI and a T7 BPC but thats the extent of my knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Elder

just get a stage 5

Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Elder

Use the search, this has been discussed many times

https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...2Standalone%22
Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
Use the search, this has been discussed many times
i used search but it seememd to be a bunch of people explaining what they think not hard evidence. i looking for actually experince with it!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAB9-3USA View Post
i used search but it seememd to be a bunch of people explaining what they think not hard evidence. i looking for actually experince with it!
Cause thatís all their really is, not many people and saabs do stand alone unless you live in Sweden or have one with out a DI. People Go NIRA because so far that the main ECU that you can use with a DI. You can really just go with about any aftermarket ECU and make the DI work, it does so with Mega squirt, or take the DI out and run a Dizzy, or take the DI out and run individual coil packs.

Unfortunately there is not a ton of information of that subject within this site, anything is possible with some time and effort. If you want to go that route, stick to something that has a lot of product support within the US and loose the DI you should be fine. Its going to take some modification but so is anything else you do to saabs thatís not the norm. Look into autronic or motec and if you want mega squirt, but for your not going to have all the options with mega squirt. I would consider autronic for the price you can acquire them for about 1400 and there is a ton of information on the web to help you along the way.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Cause thatís all their really is, not many people and saabs do stand alone unless you live in Sweden or have one with out a DI. People Go NIRA because so far that the main ECU that you can use with a DI. You can really just go with about any aftermarket ECU and make the DI work, it does so with Mega squirt, or take the DI out and run a Dizzy, or take the DI out and run individual coil packs.

Unfortunately there is not a ton of information of that subject within this site, anything is possible with some time and effort. If you want to go that route, stick to something that has a lot of product support within the US and loose the DI you should be fine. Its going to take some modification but so is anything else you do to saabs thatís not the norm. Look into autronic or motec and if you want mega squirt, but for your not going to have all the options with mega squirt. I would consider autronic for the price you can acquire them for about 1400 and there is a ton of information on the web to help you along the way.
pretty much true, except that MS can run the DI, as well as many other types of coil packs, and has a huge online support network that is improving it every day ( www.msefi.com ), and its much much cheaper than any other option out there at this point. but yeah basically any system that you decide to use, expect a very good amount of custom work.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #8

racestuff.se

Emailed them for a question.

Fast reply and in english

Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
pretty much true, except that MS can run the DI, as well as many other types of coil packs, and has a huge online support network that is improving it every day ( www.msefi.com ), and its much much cheaper than any other option out there at this point. but yeah basically any system that you decide to use, expect a very good amount of custom work.

Paul
Yes i know MS can run the DI and other coilpacks, not downing MS at all

Quote:
You can really just go with about any aftermarket ECU and make the DI work, it does so with Mega squirt.
I was mostly saying that with MS your going to loose of some of the features that autronic and motec has such as:

Air Conditioner Request
eletronic throttle body control
ect ect

I still have my MS but don't want to run it on my SS as i will loose just about all my controls inside the car. I have been reading up on MS lately and its very impressive as what they are able to accomplish compared to some of the other highend ECU that your paying a lot for. Also MS is not as Cheap as some people think its still going to cost you a little bit to get everything set up correctly but well below the cost of some other options.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Yes i know MS can run the DI and other coilpacks, not downing MS at all

I was mostly saying that with MS your going to loose of some of the features that autronic and motec has such as:

Air Conditioner Request
eletronic throttle body control
ect ect

I still have my MS but don't want to run it on my SS as i will loose just about all my controls inside the car. I have been reading up on MS lately and its very impressive as what they are able to accomplish compared to some of the other highend ECU that your paying a lot for. Also MS is not as Cheap as some people think its still going to cost you a little bit to get everything set up correctly but well below the cost of some other options.
this is true, but you really have to be careful when looking at the "features" that some standalone ECUs give you, for your SS its a different ballgame, but for the T5 9-3, you dont need the ETS control, and im pretty sure the AC is a standalone system as well, though i could be wrong. But i'd say if you've got the cash for it, its hard to go wrong with NIRA, looks like an awesome system.

Paul

Old 07-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Elder

oh and also, keep an eye on MS in the next 6 months to a year, once MS2 starts becoming more popular, things should really start to get interesting, its a much more powerful setup than the early versions of MS.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in