NOS?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
SAABeginner

NOS??

Can a nitrous system be added to the 99-02 saabs? Has anyone done this mod and if so, any data collected on performance increases?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #2

NOS can be added to most cars, NA or turbo.
The real question is whether it can be added safely. The guys at the shop wil say, "No problem. An easy 50 horses and your car stays safe."

That's probably true the first few times you run NOS, but gas is as addictive as crack and a few bottles later you'll be at a stoplight revving against some musclehead's Mustang. You'll step on the gas and you'll feel the familiar torque rush and BANG!...the sickening sound of a wayward piston driving itself though a cylinder wall.

So....if your car isn't a daily driver, then go for it. If you need your ride for essential transportation, then stick with the turbo...

Plus, as the saying goes, you'll still be boosting when the other guy's bottle runs out...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
You can install nitrous on your car.
Just make sure you get the kit that sprays nitrous and fuel throught 2 seperate lines into the same nozzle. If you look at the ZEX kits, it relies on the cars computer to add the extra fuel.
Also, any setup you do is safe as long as its done right with the correct jets in.

I was also considering getting a kit and had an idea.
Get the kit, spray into the throttle body up top. Then get a purge set-up and spray on the intercooler, in front of it to cool it down.

Just an idea

Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I'm currently looking at nitrous as well...actually the ZEX kits like trex was talking about.

From what i've heard, the best and safest way to use Nitrous is to use a wet system that mixes the correct amount with the fuel. They have extrememly safe kits nowadays that mix the correct amount of Nitrous with a given amount of fuel so there's no issue of detonation.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out
I'm currently looking at nitrous as well...actually the ZEX kits like trex was talking about.

From what i've heard, the best and safest way to use Nitrous is to use a wet system that mixes the correct amount with the fuel. They have extrememly safe kits nowadays that mix the correct amount of Nitrous with a given amount of fuel so there's no issue of detonation.

Like you were saying, its true.
Thats why there is the jets that fit inside the nozzles. I can't remember if the nitrous jet is begger then the fuel, or vise versa.

I also hear that the wet system is the best for turbo cars
Old 08-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #6

There are definitely safe ways of adding nitrous, but really, no sane person adds nitrous to a daily driver. Unless, of course, you plan on upgrading your engine internals, or you can source a donor engine that you can build from the bottom end up.

If that was the case......If you knew you had a rock-solid engine, then why not?

You can easily handle a wet 50-shot without much trouble, possibly even a 75 or 100....

But, be VERY CAREFUL adding nitrous to an engine with an upgraded ECU that's already playing on the knife edge of EGTs and A/F ratios. The performance gains in ECU mods come, in part, by shaving off the built-in safety margin of the factory ECU. Adding nitrous presses you further along the knife edge...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #7

There are definitely safe ways of adding nitrous, but really, no sane person adds nitrous to a daily driver. Unless, of course, you plan on upgrading your engine internals, or you can source a donor engine that you can build from the bottom end up.

If that was the case......If you knew you had a rock-solid engine, then why not?

You can easily handle a wet 50-shot without much trouble, possibly even a 75 or 100....

But, be VERY CAREFUL adding nitrous to an engine with an upgraded ECU that's already playing on the knife edge of EGTs and A/F ratios. The performance gains in ECU mods come, in part, by shaving off the built-in safety margin of the factory ECU. Adding nitrous presses you further along the knife edge...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Nitrous

Thanks for all the input on the addition of nitrous. My friend runs a 100 shot, wet nitrous kit in his S60t and absolutely loves it. He has it set up to spray at WOT only. He generally uses the spray at the drag strip only but on occasion has the urge to put away a porsche or two
Old 08-27-2004, 02:33 AM   #9
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
I would strongly discourage the use of NOS, at least at T7-engines with standard pistons. They seldom withstand more than 300hp and with NOS you will probably get one shot sooner rather than later...
Old 08-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Quote:
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:33 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would strongly discourage the use of NOS, at least at T7-engines with standard pistons. They seldom withstand more than 300hp and with NOS you will probably get one shot sooner rather than later
gonna have to go with the bollman on this one....in all cases.
you have to have a pre-rich mixture during injection of NOS to prevent torching those pistons, and pinging that bad-ass SAAB to death. otherwise it might not even be cost effective considering you have to keep replacing NOS..as compared to building the car up with the right components to get that hp your wishing for.

You might find a kit for $300, plus cost for getting it installed for about the same, and buying the bottle of NOS for just 50hp. Starts to add up after a few replacement bottles, especially when you consider, what it's doing to your engine.

Change/upgrade the ECU, filtration, and exhaust will probably result in better numbers and you'll appreciate it more without the head-ache of blowing up your car from experimenting with NOS.

There's more cost effective yet reliable means to increase power than using NOS. I suppose if your alreay raced-built, and ready for the big leagues my point is a mute one.

hope you make the right decision..., but good luck either way.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ok I am going to dig this thread up..... Can anyone show any cases good or bad about NOS use on a SAAB?

Allot of guys use a 35HP shot to spool the turbo quicker on launch in boosted applications. Just curious who has actually run a system on their saab and what the results where.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

it sounds like an inane idea to me. (and not like "dude... insane!"... like really insane)

I would consider using it to chill the exterior of th eIC to icy temps though

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
I can't say whether or not the NOS works well with our cars or at all, i know our Engine management system is more advanced than alot of cars that use NOs.....but one thing I do know is that using NOs is a violation of your insurance company's policy. It's also illegal to have it "turned on' which just means that the valve to the bottle must be closed on the street. But if you crash your car and you're running nitrous the insurance company won't pay for a thing.

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 06-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ok abdukted I knew you would think it crazy......

And as for the insurance well thats a completlty different discussion but the use of NOS on a street car is regulated state to state and as far as I know there is no federal law against it. Here is Fl. I see cars all the time at the "local hangouts" (SONIC) with full NOS kits installed with the cops just hanging out and checking out the rides and the kits. If it was that big of a deal here they would be writing tickets.

As for NOS on a boosted motor here is what ZEX has to say about it....

Q: What is the difference between a "wet" nitrous kit and a "dry" nitrous kit?
A: A wet nitrous kit mixes nitrous and enrichment fuel by means of an injector nozzle that is mounted before the throttle body. This mixture is then drawn into the engine through the throttle body and intake manifold. A "dry" nitrous kit injects only nitrous with it’s injector while at the same time, increasing the engine’s fuel rail pressure to feed enrichment fuel through the engine’s own injectors.

Q: What is better, a "wet" or "dry" kit?
A: It all depends on the application. A "wet" kit is ideal for both normally aspirated applications as well as forced induction applications. It can require a little bit more installation time than a "dry" kit, but is easier to tune if greater than stock HP settings are to be experimented with. A "dry" kit is excellent for normally aspirated combinations that have a return style fuel system. They are very easy to install and are a great "first time" nitrous system. It is not recommended that "dry" systems be used on forced induction engines.

Q: Will nitrous affect engine reliability?
A: As long as the nitrous system is installed per the instructions and the set-up procedures are followed, there is usually not any increase in engine wear.

The bad part.....

Q: Can I have a performance "chip" in my ECU while using my nitrous system?
A: Generally the answer is NO. Most performance "chips" on the market advance ignition timing to gain additional horsepower. This additional timing, when using nitrous, can cause engine damaging detonation. The only exception to this are "chips" that have been specifically programmed for nitrous use.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
Elder

From Nitrous Express....

Q. Are there any dangers or things to stay away from while using nitrous?
A. Of course, NX recommends that no more than an additional 20 horsepower per cylinder be used on a stock engine, with a stock fuel pump. Always be sure you are using clean, uncontaminated nitrous. Also, be sure you have the highest octane fuel available, I.E. 93 octane premium for, stock compression, street cars and the highest motor octane fuel available for competition type vehicles.

Q. Is there a trade off for engine reliability and power produced with nitrous?
A. When used according to factory recommendations, shortened engine life should not be a concern.

Q. Does nitrous increase cylinder temperatures and combustion chamber pressure?
A. No, cylinder temperatures should stay the same when the correct nitrous air/fuel ratio is used. Yes, increased cylinder pressure equals increased horsepower.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my high compression engine?
A. Yes, but the proper octane fuel must be used to prevent detonation.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?
A. There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from "idiots" who damage their own engines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in