Cold Air intake Nightmare - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
TSLMember

Cold Air intake Nightmare

I am very unsatisfied with the Saabnation product and service. First of all, the product never came with installation instructions. Even through I mentioned this to Saabnation via e-mail, no one ever made an attempt to provide the info.. The quality of the cold air intake system is inferior. The filter flange came a part when tying to install. When I mentioned this to them, their reply was that the flange snaps back into the filter. The flange will not snap back into the filter because it was glued to the filter. The reason the filter came apart in the first place was due to the fact that the filter is to large for the application. I was told to purchase another filter on e-bay for $6.00. By the way, a K&N filter that will fit this application costs $35.00. Another problem with the product are the silicone fittings. The fitting connecting the intake pipe to the turbo, melted. Thank God nothing fell into the turbo!! I learned that a high temperature fiberglass renforced silicone connector should have been used for that application . Now I need to purchase replacements. The fitting go for 20.00 each. Need I say more!!!!!!!

When it's all said and done, I spent $115.00 for two 2 3/4" bent pipe.

What a mess!! and never again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 AM   #2

I was a little worried about that too...Most silicone hoses, even the 4-ply reinforced kind, have a max operating temp of 350-400 degrees.

There is a high-temp silicone specifically for those applications. It resists temps up to 600 degrees. It's usually orange to distinguish it from the other hoses. (Although Abbott shows a red hose on their TD04 conversion kit...)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
TSLMember

Yes i odered the Red High Temp fittings to replace from a company out of Ca. called turbohoses.com. The Blue Saabnation connection melted black and are as hard as a rock. I'm lucky nothing fell into the turbo.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
That sucks man.
Its weird cause i've had those same connectors on my car for over 1.5 years and had no issues with the heat melting it..
For the price, I think its the best/only one on the market.
Those K&N filter can be expensive compared to the regular kind.
If they sold everything that you want for it, the price will reach closer to $170 or so, compared to the $100 now.

Well, sorry to hear that the intake wasn't everything that you expected.

I will write them an email giving them some suggestions on future sales.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #5

Trex,

With the engine off, compare the feel of the connector closest to the exhaust manifold with the one at the top of the engine. Heat will harden the silicone and make it less pliable.

Anything within 6 inches of the exhaust manifold should be the high temp silicone. (I'm looking at doing a silicone pipe to the turbo, so I've been researching the differences in silicone.)
Old 08-25-2004, 03:46 AM   #6
TSLMember

The silicone connector connecting the two intake pipes is fine and not real hot to touch but the connector connected to the turbo is fried and the heat at that location is un-real. If you touch at that point you will get a serious burn. The reason I'm changing both connectors is due to the fact that the new vendor can not supply blue high temp fittings.

trexturk, you may want to inspect your turbo connection. Also release the clamp holding down the connection and look behind for pin holes.

As far as the cost of the product goes, $100. is a great deal, if it works. What sold me in the first place was the fact that the system pulls colder air from out side the engine bay. The problem is that the system was not engineered properly and apparently the vendor does not stand behind the product.

Last week I sent the co.. an e-mail explaining the problem with the flange around the filter and they told me to purchase a new one on e-buy for $6.

We spend a lot of $$ playing around with these car, and Iím not in a position to purchase twice. I'm going to limit the amount vendors I deal with and find somebody that provides good products, good technical support and good customer service.

At this point, Iíll be shocked if this vendor contacts me to rectify this problem.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:03 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
i hate to say anything negative about vendors... or use anyone else as a platform or diving board..., but I had a similar problems with the owner of saabnation. so here goes..

Your right there are no real instructions... There's also no real instructions on the site or contact number to follow-up with questions on the site from the last time I visited it.

Granted some sites have great products and insufficient support or help available to post a phone number. But at least will have instructions posted somewhere on the site with pictures of how to.

Saabnation's design routes the cone filter to just behind the fog lamp near the wheel well..., good idea for cooler air on the intake.., but as many are probably already aware...you need to avoid driving through any water.

He also dosen't tell you that you'll need to leave your bypass valve open or replace it with a BOV type. The intake piping is more like thin aluminum although he says its solid chrome... so even though the support bracket is not welded or connected on the pipe you have to bolt the bracket on the pipe using a bolt that easily strips out the hole for the bracket. So wonder what else you could suck into your turbo.

He advertised the product on his website with the name K&N around the side of the picture, but sells you a paper product that looks like one....of course being somewhat naive...I oiled mine..(oh what a silly thing to do, he got me good)

He called me from his "real job" one day, after I sent a few emails and I managed to keep the number to call him back. Guess he was surprised when I called him ...but suddenly he got more responsive.

I threw away the number.., and erased the site in my favorites.... I purchased my new silicon from the turbohose folks..and they had it in red. But the saabnation kit is sitting in the garage...anyone interested.

regards....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in