Big brake kits - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Big brake kits

does anyone here know of the best big brake kits out there for saabs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
gm

Not sure about the best but check out

Genuinesaab (no clue if it's the best, but the most affordable!!)
Abbott racing
Maptun

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

you can fit viggen or 9-5 aero brakes for a nice upgrade. if you have a ng900 instead of a 9-3 you'll need more parts for the swap though.

also it is possible to do your own kit with 9-3 SS rotors and porche calipers and some custom work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 06-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
SAABeginner

I use the Viggen Brakes on my 94 900NG with akebono ceramics...car stops nice. Very positive braking feel.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

This may sound ridiculous but if I was worried about performance braking on my Aero I would've put on ceramic pads and been done with it. I always see brake threads, and when a post is made asking about big brake kits, the responses are always "upgrade to Aero brakes" or "ceramic pads" etc. Now, I run factory Viggen rotors in the front and ventilated, custom Taliaferro slotted rotors in the rear on my 9-5 Aero. I also run Akebono Euro pads and the braking is fantastic. True I don't track my 9-5, but the 9-5 is not really a track or Auto-X friendly vehicle anyway.

With that said, I am perfectly happy with the performance aspects of what I have, but let's face it - the factory brakes are ugly. Even if you paint the calipers it barely helps, and looks like you're half-assing it. If you've got a big open rim style like I do, the car can be immaculate but the brakes stand out like a sore thumb. The point is I think most people want a big brake kit for the 'look' more than the performance, since the factory Aero setup is more than sufficient really. I get weary of driving around seeing Dodge Chargers, SRT's, STi's, G35's/350Z's, Mercs, etc. with nice brembo setups while we have these crappy cast calipers. SAAB is better than that, so I pulled the plug and ordered the WP pro big brake kits, front AND rear. For those who don't know, this comes from the same supplier as the MapTun brake kit, also available at partsforsaabs.com and genuinesaab.com, and the company is called Winner Power Pro out of Tawain. This is the ONLY company that I know of that offers a rear kit for SAAB. And no I am not affiliated with the company in any way. http://www.winnerpower.com.tw/

Am I shallow for wanting a nice-looking brake setup? Maybe, but everywhere I go people say "Wow I've never seen a SAAB like that! What model is it?" We have to show them that SAABs can be beautiful and appealing on the outside and still kick a**e in the performance category as well. Cheers.

|

Last edited by AeroJ; 06-15-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
When asking about big brakes, I'm going to assume you wanna see some big brake kit possibilities.

Over winter I had the awesome opportunity to meet up and hang out with PhilipHS. He will be posting more soon.
This is some vital brake info for our cars.
http://www.viggenfactfile.de/brakes2.html
Click around, there is alot of info. Philip destroyed his stock viggen calipers on the Nurburgring. So now he uses the Porsche gt3 calipers.

This kit makes me hot:
http://www.elkparts.com/product_info...roducts_id/911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Last edited by Tweek's Turbos; 06-15-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Elder

Just played around with my Big Brakes and they will fit the the Viggen!!!

Here we go again.

And I am working on the rear set-up now.. hopefully it will go much better now that I have learned so much. I am going to stick with teh viggen neted rear rotors and jsut match up the calipers... we shall see...
Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
From the WP site.

Very interesting. Bet that stops quick.

Sadly when looking through WP's catalog for saab they didn't have the og9-3 or ng900 listed. Just the 9000, 9-5, and 9-3ss. However that doesn't mean they don't have them.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJ View Post
so I pulled the plug and ordered the WP pro big brake kits, front AND rear. For those who don't know, this comes from the same supplier as the MapTun brake kit, also available at partsforsaabs.com and genuinesaab.com, and the company is called Winner Power Pro out of Tawain. This is the ONLY company that I know of that offers a rear kit for SAAB. And no I am not affiliated with the company in any way. http://www.winnerpower.com.tw/
So how much did it cost for front & rear brakes?

Are they the same as the fronts, $2K ish?? Are the rears still 6 piston?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Found some really good pics on the WP site.

Hirsch wheels and big brakes.....yum.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
So how much did it cost for front & rear brakes?

Are they the same as the fronts, $2K ish?? Are the rears still 6 piston?
yes the rears are the same retail and yes they are 6 piston. I made a deal with the guy and got both kits for substantially less. The rear caliper is slightly smaller, but the rotor is the same 336mm diameter. Make note that I have a 9-5, which uses an integrated drum brake for the e-brake in the rear. WP pro has retained this functionality with the replacement rotor. Unless I'm mistaken the 9-3 uses the rear caliper as the e-brake, so you have to have the stock caliper AND the new 6-piston one for the rear setup. Hard to explain so refer to the last pic in the above post: ^^^^^

|
Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJ View Post
yes the rears are the same retail and yes they are 6 piston. I made a deal with the guy and got both kits for substantially less.

Did you buy them directly?

Is the disc for the rears 2 piece with an aluminum hat?

Comparing pricing and headaches for doing my own set-up again.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Did you buy them directly?

Is the disc for the rears 2 piece with an aluminum hat?

Comparing pricing and headaches for doing my own set-up again.
Sup Jssaab this is 'j006' from SC in case you didn't figure it out. We've spoken on occasion about brakes and such.

Yes, I bought them directly from WP pro, and the disc is indeed 2 piece, however: in order to integrate the existing e-brake functionality they used a factory rotor and machined the surrounding rotor off. Then the new rotor surround is bolted to the factory rotor. You can't really use an aluminum center had if it's gonna be used as a drum for the e-brake I guess. Cheers.

|
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
gm

thanks for the info....

& I never use my parking brake thus that extra caliper wouldn't be needed

hmmmmmm

Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #15

So wait...you have a stock engine and you spent $4,000 on big brake kits that you don't intend to use for performance, just for looks?

That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
So wait...you have a stock engine and you spent $4,000 on big brake kits that you don't intend to use for performance, just for looks?

That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
ahahaha

------

I'll be getting the big brake kit from GS before my car gets much past stage 4. It's suspension and brake time for me baby!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
That's a whole new level of overkill, now isnt it?

Too bad, because I would like to know a lot more about the balance of this set-up. Maybe you could track it, at least once?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
maybe hes just a 60-0 kind of guy not a 0-60. Stopping insanely fast can be fun too, i guess.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I found the huge brakes on my vig to be pointless with less than competition tires. I have been switching between the Pzero Corsa, Rosso and Ecsta MX. The extra thermal capacity is nice but the 300mm rears will be just fine and can lock the rear tires no problems.

One big thing to keep in mind is rotational inertia from the larger disks, not to mention unsprung weight.

Now with 400hp the stock brakes would not last with even track pads when driving it hard. There is certainly a place but you have to look at the total system.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Its this "balance" I am really curious about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in