Forge Intercooler - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Elder

Exclamation Forge Intercooler

Look at this link. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/sale...es_Front_Mount

Will the "Type 06" Intercooler fit my Viggen?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

that guy is 4.5" thick.....you can make anything fit, but just won't be plug'n'play. with an IC that thick, you'd need to cut the bumper and you also need some pipe fabrication since the inlet/outlet won't line up. BTW 3.5" is the thickest you can go w/o cutting the bumper

x-VWer:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
that guy is 4.5" thick.....you can make anything fit, but just won't be plug'n'play. with an IC that thick, you'd need to cut the bumper and you also need some pipe fabrication since the inlet/outlet won't line up. BTW 3.5" is the thickest you can go w/o cutting the bumper
Thanks. I'm going to have to find out the dims on the one that WILL fit and take it from there. I really don't want to spend $600 on a friggin' core.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

why not just get the one from genuinesaab that already fits plug and play? it's pretty damn nice and it cools well. noticeable improvement in the summertime

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
why not just get the one from genuinesaab that already fits plug and play? it's pretty damn nice and it cools well. noticeable improvement in the summertime
$500 for a core is steep IMHO, but I'll be getting that unit if I can't figure something else out.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Its not just the core, its the whole shebang. end tanks and everything. It is the forge IC for our cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Its not just the core, its the whole shebang. end tanks and everything. It is the forge IC for our cars.
Gotcha. Plus it bolts right up, so that's nice.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

that's what I was saying. this is what you get :

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
that's what I was saying. this is what you get :
SHAW WING

^CLICK ME^
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
Thanks. I'm going to have to find out the dims on the one that WILL fit and take it from there. I really don't want to spend $600 on a friggin' core.
The new ets core is huge and will fit on your viggen with slight sanding of the end tank welds and inner crash bar. Ask Mark how he likes his unit. The core itself is 24x8x3.5... Its a great core. I can get them right now for about 200.00 under what you said.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ETS IC vs Viggen Width1.JPG (77.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_19871.JPG (86.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg ETS IC vs Viggen Front11.JPG (51.5 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by JZW; 06-07-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
SAABeginner

stick with 3.5" thickness and under. You will be very happy with an upgraded intercooler though. Look at the pics john posted with the size difference.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

I noticed that Automotion (SQR) now states an upgraded intercooler is needed for Stage 4 on the HOT (old 9-3). When I had mine tuned, I did not upgrade my intercooler... For the 185 HP, the intercooler is not listed as a hardware requirement, just the upgraded viggen turbo.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
before i got an ETS ic i got heat soak on stg. 3 on viggen ic, i couldn't imagine what it would be like on stg. 4.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
stick with 3.5" thickness and under. You will be very happy with an upgraded intercooler though. Look at the pics john posted with the size difference.
You have seen to become active in various saab forums and since you're from the factory and speaking of why certains IC are better than other could you fix me (us) real measurements where one can see charge temp/pressure before IC and temp/pressure after IC, also flow and abient temp?
I would be interested to see how the values compare to my poor quality china made IC
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
before i got an ETS ic i got heat soak on stg. 3 on viggen ic, i couldn't imagine what it would be like on stg. 4.
Yeah, I had the viggen IC on my stage 3 for a while, I could tell that it was almost doing more harm than good. I actually put the ETS IC in at the same time as the stage 4 that I got so of course its all working better. It was a great bolt on IC. I know that there are other cores (with endtanks) that you can get for cheaper and your own piping but the ease of a bolt on was nice.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
SAABeginner

What kind of intercooler are you running? Is this a bar and plate or tube and fin design? There are several reasons not to buy a china intercooler and few reasons why you might want to buy one.

The china intercoolers are made with very poor craftsmanship (most of the workers have never even been in the car or seen one) they also have a pretty good leak rate so they spray on an epoxy to stop the leaking.

They also don't use that great of material, they use whatever will keep the cost down. Sometimes you get a tube and fin intercooler (higher flow / less efficiency ) or a bar and plate (slightly less flow - way better efficiency) it depends what they are using at the time. The internal design of the intercoolers are horrible in most cases there are a few exceptions.

There are a couple threads on the DSM boards where a ton of people have purchased ebay intercoolers and air won't pass through to the radiator due to the design of the fins.

If you look at our intercoolers they are louvered on the outside to keep air flow to the radiator, if we were to stagger our fins like most of the china intercoolers it will block air flow to the radiator causing over heating issues.

We also stagger and offset the internal fins to keep efficency without hurting the flow. The china will use a straight through design that will allow max flow, but will heat soak quickly.

We are in the process of building an intercooler tester that you are talking about and we will provide data shortly.

Do you have any data on your china piece? Not all China intercoolers are bad.. You get what you pay for. With our products we offer a lifetime warrenty that's something you won't find with any China piece.

Thanks everyone!

Michael

Last edited by ETS Michael; 06-27-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
I have been out for a while and ETS really surfaced on this board while I was absent. I recall John speaking of their products prior to a representative being on here.

That said, I too am intersted in seeing this data. I too chose to go with a more expensive unit (the Forge) and would love to see how the Forge and ETS units compare in a real world test, as well as how they compare to the cheaper e-bay units.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
SAABeginner

The good thing about our products is the results will surface, as we get more and more units out you will see how will they do on the higher HP cars. We also have top notch customer service - it's very hard to find that these days. Thanks again everyone.

We have built several high hp intercoolers.

Check out this video right here - it's a supra running 8.22 (air to air setup good for 1500whp) the mustang in the video also has our water to air setup. Both sponsored by us.

Check it out.

http://www.rrevstore.com/No9s.wmv

Thanks,

Michael
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

I have the forge because it was the plug and play that was available at the time i was ordering. I didn't want to trim my bumper rails or lose my A/C. however, I am all for a product made in the USA keeping jobs in the USA instead of China.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #20
c900 Grognard
Elder

What are the dimensions (let's say height and distance center to center between the inlet and outlet) of that intercooler? It looks to be a similar size to the srt4 ic in my basement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in