What exactly do these do? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
What exactly do these do?

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_ID=sp5205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I don't know, but I'd take a few lol.

It looks sooo pretty :P

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Wait...those are adjustable Cam gears......holllyyy shit those are nice!!!!

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to saab4life
what are the gains hp? torque? and is it even an upgrade for the T7, cu they have better cam gears already than the T5.? so on and so forth.. any info appreciated.. Nick, your input would be nice
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #5

From Sport Compact Car magazine:
Quote:
The need for adjustable cam gears are many, namely a reliable, precise and affordable method of fine-tuning the action of the valves to complement the installation of performance add-ons (headers, cams, intakes) or specialty milling work on built engines.
full link here: http://sportcompactcarweb.com/inside...technology01a/
Old 08-05-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to Clint
Yes. Its about time.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Elder

well - adjustable cam gears sounds neat and all - but I would not pay $170 for a pair... not because I'm poor - and not because I'm a tight ass - but merely the fact that I don't trust those. Think about it - what's keeping one of those lil bolts from backing out... and well - jumping the chain and f-ing up the motor. Seems like It needs some more investigations preformed before anyone jumps at those. Just my $0.02
for your repair needs
Old 08-06-2004, 04:00 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42
well - adjustable cam gears sounds neat and all - but I would not pay $170 for a pair... not because I'm poor - and not because I'm a tight ass - but merely the fact that I don't trust those. Think about it - what's keeping one of those lil bolts from backing out... and well - jumping the chain and f-ing up the motor. Seems like It needs some more investigations preformed before anyone jumps at those. Just my $0.02
Thousands of cars have racked up millions of miles with very similar adjustable gears. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with one.

Adjusting valve timing with something like these gears is basically a way to slide your torque curve up or down in the rpm band.

$170 for a pair of them is pretty cheap, I'm used to a single one (for an 8v VW engine) costing that much.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I don't get what the difference between buying those and just playing with the timing?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM   #10

Gotta go with Burns on this one, DriverFound. The article I linked to diplomatically mentions multiple cases of gear slippage "with catastrophic results" because users weren't torquing the inset hex bolts tightly. AEM changed the Allen heads to standard hex heads to enable users to apply enough torque....

The whole article sounds like it was written as a PR favor for the manufacturer, repeatedly mentioning how durable the new design is. I'd be willing to bet there were a lot of pissed off ricers with wrecked engines!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
Elder

I think I will give them a shot. As long as they are tightend properly, it should be fine. Plus its not hard to open the cover and check them once in a while.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #12
HNNLIC
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos
I think I will give them a shot. As long as they are tightend properly, it should be fine. Plus its not hard to open the cover and check them once in a while.
Yea i may give them a shot once I get some 2.3L cams and my ECU. Should help to put the power right where i need it...more on the low end off the start. Hopefully if tweeked correctly, I can launch at a correct RPM without getting wheel spin or bogging down.

Like the article was saying, if they are torqued correctly there shouldn't be a problem. That goes with anything pretty much.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Gotta go with Burns on this one, DriverFound. The article I linked to diplomatically mentions multiple cases of gear slippage "with catastrophic results" because users weren't torquing the inset hex bolts tightly. AEM changed the Allen heads to standard hex heads to enable users to apply enough torque....
Seriously, thousands of people have been using this sort of gear for a long time. I've never seen one fail - IMHO, it's no more risky than any of the other mods that people do.

I suppose the answer to this question will vary, but does anyone know if Saab engines are interferance engines or not? Again, speaking from VW experience, if you've got a non-interference engine and either your gear slips or the belt breaks, the extent of the damage is pretty minimal. The potential for extensive damage would only really be there in cases where you had an interference engine.

Quote:
I don't get what the difference between buying those and just playing with the timing?
How else are you going to adjust valve timing? Specifically, adjust it independantly for each cam? Sure, you can adjust ignition timing all day long, but I can't think of any other way to adjust valve timing. Unless you're going to put the timing chain/belt on a tooth off or something, but that's going to be a HUGE adjustment, not the fine-tuning you get with this.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #14

Properly torqued, and checked every now and again, these could be a great way of fine-tuning your tuning -- especially if you do a cam switch.....

I'd like to see them in person though....

Ok, who's the fuirst guinea pig?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #15
HNNLIC
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Ok, who's the fuirst guinea pig?
Tweek

Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
How else are you going to adjust valve timing? Specifically, adjust it independantly for each cam? Sure, you can adjust ignition timing all day long, but I can't think of any other way to adjust valve timing. Unless you're going to put the timing chain/belt on a tooth off or something, but that's going to be a HUGE adjustment, not the fine-tuning you get with this.
I see what you are saying here, but what's the benefit of being able to tweak... say your exhaust cam so it's a touch off from the intake cam?

I understand what the "function" is, but how is that going to increase performance? being able to slide the torque curve up a little or down a little does not seem like it would help overall power output to me

As for longevity issues, I would think that if they are torqued correctly and if they are made out of good materials they *should* be just fine. there are a lot of "If's" in there though...
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean
I see what you are saying here, but what's the benefit of being able to tweak...
IMHO it's more of a correction device than a power-adder. Many times, upgrades we do provide benefit in a certain rpm range - cams, exhaust, etc up top, etc. Being able to fine-tune cam timing can help you put that power where you want it, instead of where it'll happen on it's own.

Lemme speak from experience. VW's g60 engines make loads of torque down low - even more so when tuned. Adding tons of boost makes them nearly un-driveable from low speeds - it's hard to control tire-spin even if you're gentle on the gas pedal.

Throwing an adjustable cam gear on and retarding the timing a few degrees lets you get the big power hit higher up, where it's both more effective and easier to use.

Regardless of tire-spin problems, having 200 lb-ft of torque at 5k rpms will net noticeably more peak hp than 200 lb-ft at 4k rpm's.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #18
Elder

well it's interesting if anything. Someone should buy a set and report back, see what the gains are from being able to play with your power curve a little.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
Elder

Yeah, I'll be the test dummy, but like I said, its going to be next May b4 I can give results from the changes.
Quote:
Old 08-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #20
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to socci
Someone buy them for me and i will be the test dummy I would love to buy them but i have some more necessary things to buy to help out my stage 3 ecu first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in