Hybrid Boost Controller - - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
TSLMember

Hybrid Boost Controller -

Got a question for you. Can anyone provide info. on the Hybrid boost Controller?

I've been looking and reading about a Dawes device and thinking about installing one.

They recommend going from the wastegate to the trubo. Is that possible on our 900 SE(s). and will this setup give me the best results?

I'm also conerned about adjusting the controller without burning up the engine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
TSLMember

The Dawes Device is a Ball and spring MBC that you can install between your tubo compressor hose and the wastegate actuator. You can control boost up to the fuel cut limit of the car which is around 15.5 psi. These cars are pretty safe using a MBC with the fuel cut safety feature, you know when it is too much and you back it off some.

The Dawes Device is a decent low cost boost controller that does a good job. The only drawback to the Dawes is the size of the outlet barb. It is very small and the stock saab hoses are quite a bit larger so it has difficulty clamping to the stock hoses. I have come up with a solution for that and you can see it on MPPerformances website under the button Smart Perf. There are other advancements in ball and spring MBC's as well there called the MBC+A which deals with the boost overshoots that occur in the colder temperatures when using a MBC. This will give you a good explanation of the MBC+A. The webmaster has some fixing to do with the page on MP as he didn't add the MBC page but it will be there soon.

Click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page for the additional information on the MBC SMBC and MBC+A.

[url=http://www.mpperformance.com/smbc.htm]Smart Performance
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Dawes Device...The price is great and they do the job of holding a target boost just fine. The problem is that you can't adjust it unless the car has sat for a long time and is cool or you want to fumble around with a rag trying to keep from burning your hands on the valve or surrounding hardware. It is also tricky to adjust as there are no real knobs or dials showing just how much adjustment you have made. Bottom Line....you get what you pay for. If you are on a tight budget and don't mind the negatives mentioned, it's the way to go for sure.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
TSLMember

MBC+A.

OK I'm sold on the idea, but how do you order from site?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Even though you're sold, I have to say I have used mine hard for a year and love it. I didn't do the MBC+A but just have it on the old fashioned way. I keep the hoses on with black zip ties, and have it hidden under my coolant pipe.
Pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in