Exhaust System Question - 1997 Saab SE Turbo - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
TSLMember

Exhaust System Question - 1997 Saab SE Turbo

I'm looking to replace my exhaust system with a custom 2.5 or 3". What are the pros and cons on pipe size? Also, what type of muffler would I use to obtain a nice sporty sound. Not looking for that Honda or loud open header 1/4 mile drag strip sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to BlinD
If your turbo I'd go 3". Turbos like to have as open exhausts as possible.

Your signature is too long

I used to have my mods here. But I guess this is when I know I officially have allot done to my car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
TSLMember

I'm thinking of having a local shop make the exhaust. What type of muffler should I purchase that is not drag strip loud?

Old 08-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
If you are going to have an exhaust make it just beware that if the bends are hydraulically made, then you may have a smaller diameter at the bends. Unless mandrel bent, 2.5" and 3" bends are going to have a smaller diameter at the bends.

If your turboed, like BlinD was saying...definately go 3".

As far as muffler. you I'd go Magnaflow...they always have had a good sound. Personally what I would do is buy a tubular muffler that is installed far underneath the car, then just add a tip to the end.

Of course you could still go the regular way and install a muffler with tips at the end of the exhaust...either way it should sound pretty good with Magnaflow.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 AM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out
If you are going to have an exhaust make it just beware that if the bends are hydraulically made, then you may have a smaller diameter at the bends. Unless mandrel bent, 2.5" and 3" bends are going to have a smaller diameter at the bends.

If your turboed, like BlinD was saying...definately go 3".

As far as muffler. you I'd go Magnaflow...they always have had a good sound. Personally what I would do is buy a tubular muffler that is installed far underneath the car, then just add a tip to the end.

Of course you could still go the regular way and install a muffler with tips at the end of the exhaust...either way it should sound pretty good with Magnaflow.
Agree with above. Magnaflow. I might do this as well. That JT exhaust is mighty nice. But the price tag is holdin me back lol.

I used to have my mods here. But I guess this is when I know I officially have allot done to my car.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
TSLMember

Today i spoke to a guy that does exhaust systems. He Doesn't know alot about saabs but he mentioned that maybe a 3" exhaust would have a - affect on low end performance. I'm sure you guys wouldn't be installing 3" piping if it was going to slow you down.

Anybody know anything about the Borla ProXS muffler?

By the way, I received my Forge BOV last night. It sounds like S___ with the stock exhaust. This is why I'm running around looking to do somthing with the exhaust system.

I should receive the Saab Nation air filter in a couple of day. I hear that also increases the sound level a bit.

I think I've been bit by the Sabb bug!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
TSLMember

Try an intake or filter. It'll make that bov/bpv more lively.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I put one of these on my car..and dynoed for a few extra horses and torque after.... .
http://www.aero-turbine.com/

Uses a scavenging affect to actually pull air out of the car for increased turbo spool up. The concept splits the exhaust, then recombines it with the slower and faster exhaust to cause it to spin the air out of the rear.

The recombining of the air actually muffles the sound in the free flow muffler.

You might be pleased to know that it's solid stainless steel, and about 30+lbs less than stock. I only paid about $200 for mine, and had a square tip added.
I'll send pictures on request.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 AM   #9

Hey DC, did you have it fit directly to the 3'' pipe? Are you using it with a center resonator and cat?

What was the increase?

I saw this product featured on one of the auto shows and was pretty intrigued...
Old 08-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #10

Mike,

I put on the 2.5 muffler with the center resonator and race cat with 3 inch dp...got a good 20+ hp over a much broader rpm range from start to finish. I pick up peak HP lower in the RPM range, but maintain it longer.

Hmm sounds like something my girl told me once...lol
Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #11

Thanks for the info!

I'm considering doing this because the price comes out to less than the aluminized JT muffler....

I just have to find a dealer near me...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
I have been looking around for different mufflers because I don't like the sound of my JT that much. I'm going to cut off my JT muffler, and get an Aero-Turbine 3". I have been reading about them, and so far only praise.

How do you like the sound of yours DC?
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 AM   #13

I love it...makes her sound deep and strong. sounds like a v8 in a corvette.
with a low hum. Dosen't sound like those coffee can types...loud and obnoxious though. But when you get on it...has a neat throaty sound.

I've been testing it for some time now.., and have to admit it's the best I've seen so far.....

i hope you like it.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #14

just a quick pic on the install from up in the air...notice that I'm using a ovalish shaped tip..
Old 08-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #15

Damn, that looks nice.

I'm going to go with stainless because the road salt here just eats mufflers....I'm definitely going to do the 3'' JT downpipe, though...
Old 08-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #16

i thought about the 3 inch exhaust, but with the effects that it has on cooling exhaust temps and pulling air out of the manifold...I equate this to a 3 inch free-flow system in less over-kill.

I really believe you need some back-pressure to maintain higher torque numbers in the lower rpm ranges. Too little back-pressure might be more trouble than it's worth and potentially push all that useable hp and torque up the rpm scale in an unusable range.

It's a balancing effort, based on what your pushing in to get out...ie bigger bader turbo and the right plumbing. I'm still dynoing in different configurations as soon as I get more time.

I'd be interested in hearing your results with the 3 inch one on....i.e. a dyno when you get a chance.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #17

I thought about leaving it 2.5 inches from the cat back to tailpipe for that same reason. Maybe I'll do the exhaust in stages to get some definitive data:
* 3" downpipe and 3" sport cat, with stock dimensions to tail
* 3" resonator and 3" Aero-Turbine...
Old 08-29-2004, 01:16 PM   #18
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
Looks awesome DC, I like the tip also were did you get it and how much?

Also about having the whole exhaust a full 3", and not being able to create enough back pressure because of worried low end toque. I can see how this would relate to you, but like you said it also depends on how much HP you’re going after.

Say I’m trying to achieve about 330hp with stage 5 MapTun or custom SQR with my car. I defiantly not going to have a 2.5 exhaust, even though the DP is 3". If your not going to aim for more then 230-240 hp then I would just consider getting a 3"dp with cat, and the rest 2.5.

Hey DC, did they say were the best place to put that muffler was? I was looking at some other pics of different cars, and noticed that some people have them in the middle of there exhaust system. Also with the resonators, are based on the same concept as the mufflers?
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 08-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
hey DC have you had any experiance with the magnaflow on a saab? i wana know if anyone can compair them... looks good!!
got me think bout doing it!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man
Looks awesome DC, I like the tip also were did you get it and how much?

;;;...

Hey DC, did they say were the best place to put that muffler was? I was looking at some other pics of different cars, and noticed that some people have them in the middle of there exhaust system. Also with the resonators, are based on the same concept as the mufflers?
snow4_1man,

cost about $200.00 straight from the site at the time.. I'm using the high-end band-clamps to keep her all together...and had the exhaust welded on.

From what I understand, some folks are using them to replace the resonator also...and eliminating the muffler end all together. While some will stack them, replacing the resonator and the exhaust muffler with the "aero"..

Try using an EGT or getting your car fully dynoed before and after....to gauge the affect on your mods. I saw a definate improvement after...and been pleased ever since.

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
hey DC have you had any experiance with the magnaflow on a saab? i wana know if anyone can compair them... looks good!!
got me think bout doing it!

thanks iwantaviggen...,

no experience with magnaflow..., but using borla on another project car with a single exhaust.., provided a nice deep quiet sound without the tinish sound until you got on it..and it sound like a constant thunder.

good luck on your choices...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in