s-afc & blitz boost controller in 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

s-afc & blitz boost controller in 9-3

this is in progress but i have managed to successfully implement a s-afc and blitz boost controller in my 9-3. I'm continuing to test it out but it looks as though it may be a good alternative to having the entire ecu changed or buying a unit from maptun, etc....

will keep you posted

it'll be done by the august saab run for those of you coming to ny for that

saabvos
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

What parameters are you planning on monitoring while you tune them?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

right now, the system is acting as a pass through so i'm not changing any parameters, it's set right now to view rpm, throttle position, correction and knock

saabvos

Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #4

Is that what you're going to monitor when actually tuning it?

What other parameters can you monitor? What signals can you (or are you planning to) alter?

Is your car T5 or T7?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

i have a T5. i'm still playing with the afc so i can't remember off the top of my head what options i can play with. will post more as details progress.

saabvos
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to BlinD
Basically what the afc does go inline with the map sensor. As you change setting the afc modifys the voltage sent to the map sensor. Thus adding or subtracting fuel for the specified rpm. I used it for my fuel management with bigger injectors on my turbo honda.

Your signature is too long

I used to have my mods here. But I guess this is when I know I officially have allot done to my car.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I had an Apexi S-AFCII before as well, and I tried to implement it however I could find the correct wires to tap.

From what others had told me...it won't help to richen the car at higher boost levels, but is mainly used to lean out fuel levels at least on a stock car. An upgraded fuel system Im sure could benefit from this, but stock i don't believe so.

So let us know how it works out.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:28 PM   #8
Elder

yeah...i was just gonna ask if it could help me get more fuel on the top end...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
Elder

double post...

Old 08-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #10
TSLMember

Seems to me like you are missing an important element here - timing.

How can you proberly tune without being able to adjust it?

-Steve

\'04 GTO
Old 08-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVigR8
Seems to me like you are missing an important element here - timing.

How can you proberly tune without being able to adjust it?

-Steve
This is what Ive been trying to figure out lately. I bought a N/A 900 head with all the internals and have been thinking up ways to make adjustable cam gears.

As for ignition timing.. I have considered swtiching from a D.I. cassette to a distributer. I know of no way to control ignition timing with the d.i. set-up.

I am definately waiting to see how that s-afc turns out.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #12
TSLMember

Not sure if you are NA or Turbo. But on my old turbo honda with the afc setup I used a MSD Boost Timing Master. That retarded the timing a set amount per lb of boost. =]

I used to have my mods here. But I guess this is when I know I officially have allot done to my car.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:11 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master

there are a lot of good questions and concerns...i'm going to try tuning it this week...once i know conclusively whether it works or not, i'll post again w/ more details. btw my car is turbo

saabvos
Old 08-03-2004, 04:38 AM   #14

The whole point of the afc is to just trick the ECU by adjusting certain signal(s), and letting *it* decide what to do for fueling and timing, right?

Regarding the boost controller, what's the cutoff point for the stock ECU? Are you planning on trying to defeat that somehow? That's the big advantage I see in going with an aftermarket ECU as opposed to tricking it and/or using a boost controller. . .
Old 08-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #15
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver found
Regarding the boost controller, what's the cutoff point for the stock ECU? Are you planning on trying to defeat that somehow? That's the big advantage I see in going with an aftermarket ECU as opposed to tricking it and/or using a boost controller. . .
Thats a good point. The SAFC isn't going to help much(if at all) since you can't raise your boost levels past 15.5 psi on the stock ECU. Unless you find a way to get rid of fuel cut, your still going to be limited to 15.5....and at this level the T5 still receives ample fuel.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 08-03-2004, 05:43 AM   #16
HNNLIC
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver found
Thats a good point. The SAFC isn't going to help much(if at all) since you can't raise your boost levels past 15.5 psi on the stock ECU. Unless you find a way to get rid of fuel cut, your still going to be limited to 15.5...and at this level the T5 still receives ample fuel.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #17
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to socci
I plan on buying the apexi afc sometime soon with my sqr stage 3 ecu that is already installed, i still think the afc can fine tune the stage 3 ecu alot at higher boost.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by socci
I plan on buying the apexi afc sometime soon with my sqr stage 3 ecu that is already installed, i still think the afc can fine tune the stage 3 ecu alot at higher boost.
Why not just have an SQR tuner adjust your chip?

Is the ECU aware of boost through any means other than the MAP sensor?

Does the cutoff run off the MAP sensor signal? If so, and you're adjusting that signal, then you're also adjusting the cutoff; though probably for the worse if you're trying to trick it into adding more fuel.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:20 AM   #19
TSLMember

I personally do what is said above. I dont see how the afc will benefit you on a saab which already has enough fuel up until boost cut. If you wanna play around. Atleast do it with a system that will work.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 AM   #20

I wonder what would happen if you got more fuel in through some mechanical means (higher pressure FPR maybe?) and then used the AFC to lower the MAP signal instead of raising it - the two efforts would cancel eachother out as far as the amount of fuel injected, but the ECU would be seeing a lower MAP signal, thus the fuel cutoff would be higher than the stock setting.

It would be a pretty convoluted way to accomplish that though, and probably more expensive/complicated than popping a chip in, which also gets you some degree of support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in