does a MBC make you run lean? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Viggen Kid
does a MBC make you run lean?

or would the computer realize about the extra air flow and push more gas..hense fuelcut?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
TSLMember

Should realize the extra flow.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
It should realize the extra psi level and adjust accordingly. Unfortunately and only adjust to a certain level...hence the cut off. After this point you need to upgrade your ECU level and later on your injectors to account for the increase air.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Fuel cut is a preset safety level and is not based on the fuel ratio. The stock fuel system can handle up to 280 hp.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 08-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Viggen Kid
so your saying 1psi=6hp, 9psi to 15psi= 36, 185+36=221 at the crank so i'm safe? sweet

Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
Fuel cut is a preset safety level and is not based on the fuel ratio. The stock fuel system can handle up to 280 hp.
In this case, why is the fuel cut level at 15.5 psi if the stock system can handle up to 280hp?

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 08-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
ERP

Send a message via AIM to ERP
It’s a good question. With a better exhaust, intercooler and software all NG900 SE could have been 230 hp stock instead of 185. But I think the idea was to over design the fuel system since the cost ratio is so small for it, with the option to create more powerful engines in the future, like the Viggen and Aero.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
Old 08-01-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
TSLMember

Eric, what injectors (cc) are you using? Also, do you know the stock injectors in cc?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP
It’s a good question. With a better exhaust, intercooler and software all NG900 SE could have been 230 hp stock instead of 185. But I think the idea was to over design the fuel system since the cost ratio is so small for it, with the option to create more powerful engines in the future, like the Viggen and Aero.
Okay that makes since then. Thats pretty interesting.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:40 AM   #10
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
I think it´s all about margins. Even though the engine is capable of producing 280hp, not much of the rest of car stands those kind of powers for any longer time. The cars are designed to last at least 15 years reaching 300000miles with ease. 185hp or maybe 200 as in the 9-3Sport 1999, is a maximum while retaining the life span.
If SAAB had decided to go with 3" exhaust and 250hp on the ng900 and 9-3, they would have had a lot of those cars filling up the garages with warranty replacements of trannys, clutches turbos and not to forget all the badwill from people killing themselfes due to low-performance road holding.

All these things can be adressed, yes, but at a cost. Adding $5000 in aftermarket parts on a new car directly from SAAB (and by SAAB) would raise the price of a new car with a _lot_ more. And still you can´t be sure that the engine will hold for hours and hours of WOT at a 120F in some distant gulf country.

Then why did they choose those injectors? Probably due to a good deal, and that they can use the same injectors on all cars and so on, logistics is also a way to increase revenue
Old 08-02-2004, 06:12 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Clint, I have some Injector info I will post later. Check KevinY sight in the 9000 engine section in the meantime.

No, I have and Air/fuel and see rich conditions under full boost just like your supposed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #12
TSLMember

I agree with Tweak. Even under full bosst at max boost just below the fuel cut, the t-5 runs rich. Some have even done a resistor MAP hack raising the fuel cut by 1-2 psi and still ran rich. The t-5 system isn't as sophisticated as the t-7. You can see the results on the plugs of the t-5. Typically very sooty, whereas the t-7 plugs are cleaner. I've tried to improve on that by hacking the ground electrode, rounding it to better match the center electrode to reduce the quenching effects of the plug design. The plugs still get sooty on the metal end around the plug, but the center electrode stays much cleaner, actually bright white after 4000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in