Auto to Manual Conversion - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
TSLMember

Auto to Manual Conversion

How hard would it be to drop a manual transmission in my auto 1999 9-3SE?, it would really make the car an amazing driver, and if it is possible, around how much would it cost?.

-Renzo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

I hope someone can tell you. I am curious also.
it sounds extremely expensive and as far as I know, nobody has ever done it on these newer cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Honestly, you're better off selling the automatic car and buying a standard one. There is so much wiring and stuff that tie directly to that automatic transmission, it would take thousands of dollars worth of retrofitted wire and labor just for that aspect of the job. Good luck.

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine

Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
how much more work could it be than the cable to hydraulic swap?
cept obviously needing the 5sp tranny. and does the autobox have a seperate computer?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Elder

i really dont think its that bad, and wouldnt cost all that much.

atleast on th e9000's it really isnt too bad.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Elder

my roommate had it done to his GTI which is prolly one of the worst cars ever to swap and it was cheaper than replacing his auto box. saab has to be better than that thing. He paid like 4k but got a stage 2 clutch and other goodies while he was in there.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
There is an automatic gearbox computer that would no longer be needed and the ECU should not matter as long as the proper reflash was done to it.

As for lots of wires going to the trans I dont really see that many wires that connect to the auto trans. Can you provide a wiring diagram of all the wires your talking about?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Elder

plus if your going to a manual, i think theres like 1 connector on the tranny the rest you could just remove and go on your merry way

Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
TSLMember

alrite so it doesnt sound very hard, since I would do everything myself and not pay labor, but how much would a manual trans be, Ive seen them for very cheap but they need a new reverse gear and stuff like that.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

well poeple say it it not worth the cost. HOWEVER if your auto box were to outright fail, and a rebuild is 3000 with labor, or a new one is more than that with labor... then to pay 4 grand would not seem "so expensive" anymore considering it's like having an upgrade.

so yeah, I would like to know real facts about this and not just "it costs too much"
at least to satisfy my curiosity

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ok you can find the trans on ebay for $275 or so from a place in georgia and the rest of the parts should be able to be had from Laxian, Makeyousaab or someone else who has a parts car laying around for a reasonable price.

Auto to Manual Conversion thread

Auto to Manual Conversion Thread II

Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
Elder

Interestng quote from the 2nd link I posted....

Quote:
did the swap in my 97 i did put a 5 speed computer in it and just pulled the plug for tcm out of the trionic main plug and taped them up or else you will have check engine and gearbox.... abs will be fine the only thing i have problems with is i have no cruise due to the fact that there is no sensor plug for the clutch pedal..

Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

yeah, just mod the auto!
get stage 3 or stage 3+ and you just might poop in your pants once you see how it goes when you stomp it

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Elder

This one too..... makes me think this is doable for the parts cost plus some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "fastsaab1'
i have just did this swap in my 1997 900 se it is very easy just unbolt automatic shifter assembly install 5 speed setup and trany unplug tcm module and jump pin connector 6 and 10 on the transmission shift indicator harness for the starter kill took me about 5 hrs all together and the it is a very big difference!!!!! :P

Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
TSLMember

hmm, other than the fun to drive factor, how much faster would it actually make my car?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnz520 View Post
hmm, other than the fun to drive factor, how much faster would it actually make my car?
That depends on the driver. It won't make the engine any better, but a human can usually shift faster than an auto trans.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Elder

It would not make the car but a few tenths faster but it would allow you to go to a higher staged ECU then an Automagic would.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
TSLMember

And I am sure that extra gear helps a lot too, but if i can have a fast car with an auto, then I am not gonna stress about the manual.
Since I am used to working on Hondas, which are very slow with automatics, I figured the tranny wouldn't hold up well to mods.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
That depends on the driver. It won't make the engine any better, but a human can usually shift faster than an auto trans.

Um not usually the case. The auto trans is non foulable and the results are repeatable all the time where the manual transmission is subject to user error and tire spin in most cases.

Look at big block muscle cars and you will see a host of Turbo400's and Turbo 350's in them with line locks becuase the transmissions are bullet proof and foul proof in most cases.

Last edited by stevehayes01; 05-02-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnz520 View Post
And I am sure that extra gear helps a lot too, but if i can have a fast car with an auto, then I am not gonna stress about the manual.
Since I am used to working on Hondas, which are very slow with automatics, I figured the tranny wouldn't hold up well to mods.
This tranny is the same trans fitted to the Volvo 850R's. The Volvo community has seen a cap of about 350BHP out of the trans before major failures start. However the power is not whats going to kill the box. The application of torque is what will kill the trans.

look at abdukteds Dyno graph and you will see that the torque comes on more gradual then if you looked at any Stage 3+ 5speed car. That is the safegaurd to keep the tranny from grenading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in