Koni Adjustables - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
Elder

Koni Adjustables

Does anyone know where I can get Front Koni Adjustables for a '95 900S? I have just been informed by my steering wheel recently, that my shocks have become dead. It's a wild ride with bad shocks The dealership was saying something like they needed to whole part of the strut section, from the strut all the way up. Quoting me $950 with install, I believe with that was with install. I said I would hold on that one. Let me know ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

i dont know that they make koni adjustables for the front on a saab but i do know you can get KYB gas strut inserts for the front from eeuroparts.com for a good price and they are very good from what i have experienced with mine also im not sure what you are saying about needing the whole strut assembly but to fix new struts in the front you only need the shock insert becouse it is a rebuildable strut also it is not terribly difficult to do yourself if you rent a spring compressor if you think you would like to do it yourself i could write up some directions with pictures
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Elder

http://www.mpperformance.com/wst_page4.html
9-3 Koni adjustable shock absorber, front $290

That was for the 9-3, but I am assuming they would work for the NG900. The price is per each strut, so it was a bit expensive for me. Might just go with the KYB strut inserts from www.eeuroparts.com. I had looked there last week, but felt like it was a cheap part since it comes in at $39.90 each.

Also what I mean about all the parts above it is: http://www.eeuroparts.com/images/saa.../90093susp.gif all the parts above the springs in the picture.

I need to do it myself cause the damn dealership charges so much. Heard it might be difficult with the springs and all. Let me know how to do it, I would appreciate that. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

They KYB gas insert is very good just sold for a good price dont worry about it being cheap also if you order the insert off of eeuroparts.com then also order the KYB thrust bearing one for each side then you will have all you need to change the struts ill write up directions tomorrow for you
Old 12-13-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
Elder

Thanks

Sweet thanks man!! I appreciate it!

EDIT: I think that's the parts they said I would need also, the strut bearing and mount for each side. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
Elder

Get air shocks for the rear DeLorean plans to get a pair for his SPG
for your repair needs
Old 12-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

just remember then your handeling wont be as good with air shocks they just dont compare to gas filled shocks
Old 12-13-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
http://www.mpperformance.com/wst_page4.html
9-3 Koni adjustable shock absorber, front $290

That was for the 9-3, but I am assuming they would work for the NG900.
The dampers at the rear are the same on 9-3 and NG900. Front dampers are different.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

are you sure that the front are different thought they were the same the setup didnt change on the suspention at all from the NG900 to old 9-3 or so i thought
Old 12-14-2003, 03:37 AM   #10
TSLMember

Here are the KONI numbers:

NG900 front : 8641-1305
9-3 front : 8641-1389

NG900 rear : 8041-1191
9-3 rear : 8041-1191
Old 12-14-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
these arent for the viggen as well are they???? and do they lower the car at all?
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Old 12-14-2003, 11:34 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

those specs would more than likely be the viggens also they will not lower the car the only way to lower the car is to get different springs. Shocks will make no difference in ride hight also im pretty sure that even though the numbers for the front of the 9-3 and 900 are different i do belive they are compatable but im lookin into it to make sure
Old 12-14-2003, 12:09 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

directions for strut insert replacement

-First jack up the car good so it wont fall
-Remove the wheel and then remove the nut from the axil
-Take the caliper off and hang it from the spring for the time being it will be moved later
-Next undo the sensor for the ABS either by unscrewing it and taking it right off the strut or unplugging it a little ways up the cord
-Next undo the nuts to the uper and lower ball joint
-Slide a pry over the lower control arm and pry down on it from the frame you may want another person to give the knuckle a good wack next to the ball joint and it should pop out
-Do the same with the top one but be much more carefull becouse it is not as strong
-Go under the hood and losen up the three nuts just enought so you are able to wiggle the strut
-Go back under and push the control arm down enught to slide the ball joint out of the knuckle and the drive shaft making sure the driveshaft stayes in the transmision
-Have someone hold the strut and losen the top the nuts all the way to remove the strut moving the caliper to hang on the tie rod
-Follow the directions to the spring compressor when compressing the spring losen the top center nut holding the strut insert once it is off make sure you keep all pieces in order replacing the old thurst bearing and top mount with the new ones.
-Remove the old insert their should be directions with the new ones how to do that it is very easy
-Once the new insert is in just repeat the steps and you should be good to go
-The torqe specks if you have a torqe wrench are
66ft lbs for the insert nut on top
13ft lbs top 3 nuts for strut mount
214ft lbs for axil nut
44ft lbs for ball joints
if you dont have a torque wrench then this gives you an idea if you do it by feel

If there is anything i left out let me know if you need to know other than that if i did it shouldnt be anything difficult
Old 12-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Shocks don't lower your car, springs do. Springs support your car, shocks act as a damper to reduce the oscillation of the springs when they compress.

Koni adjustables are available for NG900. Although I preferred to go with Bilstein HDs. The Bilsteins are thicker than the Konis and have had fewer reports of cartridge failure. However they are not adjustable. You want to go with nitrogen filled gas shocks as they reduce foaming of the oil in the damper.

You can find both at www.shox.com.

If you are changing your front struts, also renew the upper strut mounts at the same time. Further, if you are having someone change your shocks, you might consider upgrading your springs at the same time rather than incurring labor twice.

I think SPG is referring to air bag springs. These are air bladders that can be adjusted via an air resevoir and pump. Done properly these provide a consistent ride height for when you load your vehicle up. There are also applications which are used instead of hydraulics for the ghetto bouncy bouncy contests. Not sure what these are really called, just that the IQs of folks that do this are inversely proportional to the quantity of jewlery stuck in their teeth.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:19 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

He is correct in saying air shocks they do make shocks that work with air instead of oil and gas only they do not deliver the performance of oil gas filled shocks some of those other points were discussed earlier
Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
MP Performance has the cheapest price i have seen for all four Konis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in