Rear strut tower bar and aluminum bushings - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via MSN to Clint
Rear strut tower bar and aluminum bushings

Here is a pic of my rear strut tower bar. I also made aluminum bushings to replace the stock rubber ones. This upgrade stiffens up the rear end about 3 times as much as my rear sway bar mod. The aluminum bushings make the ride stiffer, but not untolerable. I especially noticed the gain in performance when turning a corner and hitting a bump or rough spot in the road. The shifting of the body feeling is not there anymore. This set up is obviously harder on shock set-ups, but I dont feel it is serious. You could also cut off the plastic end piece on the rubber bushing and use it just like i am using the aluminum ones if you wanted.

The pipe is 1 1/4" diameter, .83" thick 4130 chromoly. The end pieces are 1/4" thick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 05:45 PM   #2

Nice job Clint.....

I really like that it's not much higher than the "safety bar" it sits upon, so you still have some load carrying capacity.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hi, I'm new here.

Any chance of getting more info on that brace?

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
Elder

Kewl! Looks good.
for your repair needs
Old 09-08-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
TSLMember

thanks for the compliments. Im not selling these braces, I have only made one of them. I guess if someone wanted one I could make another, but it would probably cost a little more than you would want. I think you can find a brace for like $80, I wouldnt be able to match that price unless I mass produced them.

I should have another brace done soon. this one will stiffen the whole hatch more and serve as a mounting point for a 4 point harness.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:07 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I haven't seen a brace like the one you've made anywhere, and I have looked. Kevin Yankton's made one that's really sharp, but limits the usefulness of the hatchback almost totally. This is my everyday car, so I need that space, and a brace like yours would fit the bill very nicely.

If you know of a place that might have something similar, I'd really like to know where. Thanks!

BTW, the brace looks really good!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

somebody makes a rear strut brace that has the center bar removeable, only the mounts on the struts stay. That way you can use the full cargo area if you want, and just pop the bar back in when you're done.

Forget where I saw it... ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
TSLMember

www.saabsavior.com

I think it is still on the home page.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
yeah i plan on buying the rear brace withing the next couple of weeks...

looks good and affordable!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:13 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
www.saabsavior.com

I think it is still on the home page.
that one looks nice, but I saw one that you could remove the connecting bar and just leave the end pieces installed, so say you need to move a giant furniture piece, you can still fold you seats down and use the whole cargo area, you just pop out the bar without uninstalling the whole brace....

Anyone come across this one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Elder

yeah but with it in ther you have an excuse not to use your car!!...thats what i say about my stereo....."you wana drive to blah blah blah?" i simply reply "no i cant fit all the lugage with my stereo." now i'll have one more reason!!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaviggen
yeah but with it in ther you have an excuse not to use your car!!...thats what i say about my stereo....."you wana drive to blah blah blah?" i simply reply "no i cant fit all the lugage with my stereo." now i'll have one more reason!!
But didn't you see all that beer Eric could haul?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Elder

So is the saab savior one with a removeable center bar? Cause that's really affordable. And I wonder if they can powder coat it yellow!

EDIT: I have contacted John, and he said they are working on this. Oh and I CAN get it in yellow

Old 09-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Quote:
But didn't you see all that beer Eric could haul?

uugghhhhhhhhhh beeeerrrrrr

*drool* *drool*
Old 09-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
yeah, but I LOVE driving my car, especially with the stage 1 now!

I look for excuses to drive it. (i only have a 10 mile commute to work each day, so I hardly drive as it is)

besides, you should have seen how handy the hatch was when on vacation/camping this summer.

two sleeping bags, a tent, a gas grill, grilling tools, silverware and plates, cups, various other cooking gear, 3 giant suitcases filled with a week and a half worth of clothes for me and the girlfriend, two chairs, 2 backpacks full of hiking gear,
a giant cooler, food for several days of camping, soap and towels to clean dishes, clothesline, beer, two thick blankets, two pillows, 2 tennis rackets and several cans of tennis balls, frisbee, football, and a sack of various beach toys, shaving kit for me and giant bag of woman "look pretty" items for her, various beach supplies like snacks, towels, bathing suits, sunscreen, sunburn lotion ,gifts for relatives who live in the area, different types of sneakers for her and I for all the different activities we'd be doing that week (about 3 pair each) , and much more... she likes to overpack.

all this and not folding the seats down or using the back seat except for two front mountain bike tires (bikes were on roof rack).

oh, and sourvenirs on the way home... including 5 heavy duty cast iron pots and pans (2-5 quart size) and 4 or 5 peices of pottery/cookware.

Now that is why I want a removeable bar, i don't want to give up that much utility.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #16
Elder

Well Saab Savior is putting something together. Maybe we can get a group buy!

Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #17
TSLMember

Do you think this would work on a convert.?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Here's something MP Performance sold me...cost about a $100 or so....looks good....take a look...
Old 10-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #19
Elder

I am assuming that middle bar is not removeable? I am waiting until Saab Savior develops the rear strut bar with removeable center piece. I like to have the storage available. That's why I will never get a sub box back there. Maybe plexiglass in the spare tire area

Old 10-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #20
Trollerator
Elder

I'm telling you, there is already a removeable section brace available somewhere, I have seen it, i just can't find it now that I actually am interested in buying it.... I shit you not! any word on a timeframe for Saabsaviors'?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in