maptun & other tuners - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 04:15 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

maptun & other tuners

i heard somewhere that group9 represents maptun here stateside but group9 doesn't actually reprogram ecu's here, is there any truth to that? does that also apply to other tuners?

saabvos
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Elder

Yes Group 9 Performance is the Maptun Performance dealer of the US. They do offer each stage ECU reprogrammed with maptun software...Give them a call at 401-421-4876 tell em Rob from RCM DESIGN sent ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

thanks, i'll call them but i was more learning towards whether G9 programmed the ecu's themselves or sent the ecu's back to sweden for maptun to reprogram

saabvos

Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 AM   #4
Elder

Well they are the US Maptun Dealer so I believe that Maptun takes care of the reprogramming...

Old 07-09-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Well technically, your charged a core charge for you old ECU. G9 orders the reprogrammed ECU from Maptun, and they send it to you. Once you recieve the new ECU, you have to send your old one back to G9 to get your core charge back.

Other tuning companies do the same, except the ECU may not come from overseas.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 07-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #6
SAAB Road Master

any chance of getting a custom ecu from maptun or another tuner? i don't really feel safe having an ecu sent to me when i do my own mods.
The ecu's they send to you assume you use certain parts and are made for certain stages. I'm in the process of an intake and exhaust so the ecu they send me may not be customized to just those modifications.

saabvos
Old 07-09-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
Elder

Then you tell them that. That sounds like a stage 2 ECU unit. Since you have exhaust, and an intake.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Saabvos, you are exactly right. An ECU should be programmed in the car with the hardware in place and should be reprogrammed with each new piece of hardware or change in existing hardware. Unfortunately this is simply not available unless you know the right people and you are in the right place at the right time. SQR is the only tuner I have heard of doing custom ECU programming here in the States. So what are we left to do? Leave our cars stock or stick with the generic stage programs available are the only realistic choices.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Well since the market is just starting to open up, there may be some custom tuning applications made available in the near future. I definately understand your point, which is why TSL exists...to get the word out on what we want to see happen at least in the US.

However, you do have to think...would you rather tune yourself and possibly mess your car up, or have professionals who have dedicated their life to this type of work tune your car.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I would rather have professionals tune my car instead of professionals tune what they think my car will be (if that makes sense). I have heard amazing things about Hirsch custom programming but only from people in Europe. They will sit there with your car on the dyno tinkering all day to get things just right. THIS is how it should be done. No power spikes or dips, no running lean or rich, just a perfect program for your car specifically. It's like buying a suit. Sure you can go up to the dept. store and get a generic 46L jacket and 36/32 slacks but does it really compare to what you get when you go to the tailor and have yourself measured and the suit made specifically for your frame? You can wear the dept. store suit and look good but there might be a little extra on the sleeves or it might be a little tight on the shoulders while the custom suit fits perfectly. I dunno, this might be a bad analogy.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

well i can understand your point of tuning it myself and potentially screwing up the car or having a pro tuner tune my car to what they think it should be. like i said, my family owns a performance shop and has tuned numerous cars. There is still potential for screwup but the risk is decreased. I'm just more comfortable having someone i know tune the car instead of someone who's across the ocean reprogram my ecu to their specs.

saabvos
Old 07-12-2004, 07:08 AM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

Group 9 would LOVE to be able to program ECU's here, but MAPTUN won't let them, they are not ready to let someone else have control of their product yet.

I ma having bad problems with them right now (MAPTUN), the stage 1 I ordered was not programmed for my immobiliser, and the car would not start. Sent back to Sweden, another 2 weeks and 60 dollars shipping, came back and the car overboosts and hits fuel cutout. Drove an hour and a half to see a mechanic who races Saabs, he adjusted the wastegate (lengthened the rod about 4-4.5 turns to lower base boost). The car was still boosting high and hitting fuel cut, but not as bad.

I get on the highway to go home and as soon as I go to pass another car, fuel cut again. This stupid ECU sucks. I mean, it was SICK when it was working for about 5 minutes, but it is just not drivebale like this....

Now I will probably have to pay another 60 bucks to send it back again... And I had to go out and buy a bunch of tools so i can attempt to shorten the waste gate rod back to normal, since now I am running a stock ECU with extremely low base boost.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in