Finding more low end power - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Elder

Finding more low end power

Well I have been driving my car really easy the past few weeks. Shifting every time the light turns on just to save gas because I drive an hour to work every day. But I noticed today that when I wanted to get up and go, the car did not respond as it use to when I drove it hard. But I think that’s just the computer adjusting to your driving habits, because I know my moms Volvo does that.

But Anyway, I would like to find ways of improving low end power between 1500 & 3100 just before the turbo kicks in. I have an intake, and also 3" exhaust is on the way. I know what I need to do for high end power, but what about off the line. I was talking to CHp540 (sorry don't know everybody’s name just SN and what type car you have) about water injection. But right now I just have a vague idea of what water injection does.

Well tell me what you guys think would be some of the best upgrades for low end power.

1998 NG900 SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
A manual boost controller will help ALOT. Check out either th Dawes Device, or a Turbo XS MBC. I use Turbo XS, and I boost halfway into red ( 15 pounds).

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I think cams may help, but thats a bit pricey. Saabtuner suggested the ones from a na 2.3 car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 07-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Elder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos
I think cams may help, but thats a bit pricey. Saabtuner suggested the ones from a na 2.3 car.
I have a set - but i was told they are the exact same as 2.1 cams. Either way - I have 1 set of each type :P 2.0 2.1 2.3 Now if someone would tell me which combination is best for running high boost, get a nice growl from the motor and things like that - I'd be really happy and thankfull.
for your repair needs
Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Intake mods will help with spool time and the manual boost controller mentioned will bring on full boost immediately and boost higher than stock especially in the range you mentioned. These are two things you should explore before you start changing your engine in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
Elder

Ya a MBC is a great idea, I was planning on doing that because I don't have money yet for upgraded ECU. But how is a MBC going to help me with low end power? I can see it helping on high-end power. What about a blow off valve?

I was thinking about cams also, taking the cams from a Viggen and putting them into my car. Also boring out stuff on the engine. Does anybody know more info on the cams?
Also will Viggen cams fit and are them more aggressive? MapTun has upgraded cams and it states that they fit on all NG900 9-3 and 9-5, so they must be taking them from some car. My thought was they are using the cams from a 04 aero. Any ideas on that? If that’s the case then I know I can get them for cheaper then MapTun. Does anybody know more info on the cams?

I was thinking that throttle body to intake pipe with also help, when it becomes available. Any more ideas?

Also what are the best places to bore out?

With new headers, from genuine Saab, would this make a big difference on low end power, I’m sure it will help on the high-end. Its funny how Nick does all this stuff to his car but does not use his own intake manifold.

Anyway thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, I’m sure there has to be more stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in